Annou pratike kreyòl ayisyen! Let's Practice Haitian Creole

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-02, 18:58

Mesi pou eksplikasyon-yo la.
(Thanks for the explanations)

I know the numbers but i don't know what to do if it's more complicated.I mean,how do you say 345 or 254? Just give me an example,then i can understand. :wink:

Numaraları biliyorum ama daha karışıklarını nasıl söyleyeceğimi bilmiyorum.Yani,345 ya da 254'ü nasıl diyorsun? Bana sadece bir örnek ver,sonra ben anlayabilirim. :wink:

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-02, 19:05

Alcadras wrote:Mesi pou eksplikasyon-yo la.
(Thanks for the explanations)

I know the numbers but i don't know what to do if it's more complicated.I mean,how do you say 345 or 254? Just give me an example,then i can understand. :wink:

Numaraları biliyorum ama daha karışıklarını nasıl söyleyeceğimi bilmiyorum.Yani,345 ya da 254'ü nasıl diyorsun? Bana sadece bir örnek ver,sonra ben anlayabilirim. :wink:

There is nothing too irregular about our number system, I think.
twa san karantsenk
de san senkantkat
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-02, 19:07

Aha,i got it,yihuuuuu!!! :P
(aha,anladım,yihuu!)

ego

Postby ego » 2006-08-02, 20:17

What is this la at the end of Alcadras' sentence? "Mesi pou eksplikasyon yo la"

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-02, 20:20

the explanations :oops:
(açıklamalar)

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-02, 20:32

It makes sense to me...But maybe it is because we would also say that in French... :?
Oh well, if it is French, then you are mastering the necessary skill of code-switching in KA. :wink:
No but seriously, it works well in the sentence.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-02, 22:54

ego wrote:What is this la at the end of Alcadras' sentence? "Mesi pou eksplikasyon yo la"

I don't know how to explain it, but it is like in French - one would say 'cette explication-là'. I think they are called demonstrative pronouns or something like that...

ego

Postby ego » 2006-08-03, 8:59

Yeah, I remember that la, I think that website said it's used when referring to something already mentioned or smth. Mesi!

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-03, 22:26

ego wrote:Yeah, I remember that la, I think that website said it's used when referring to something already mentioned or smth. Mesi!

This grammatical feature is not from French, but it was taken from Éwé and Yoruba (two languages spoken by the slaves that were taken from Nigeria)used to describe a definite article. Go figure...but I know it is similar to the 'là' that we use in French.
Last edited by Sisyphe on 2006-09-22, 0:32, edited 1 time in total.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-04, 8:26

Bonjou,
M pa te ekri okenn yé paske m pa te genyen nepòt tan.Sa tout fason,mwen malan jodi a.M pa konnen poukisa.Yé,nou te ale nan pisin la ankò,klima-a frét,alò m te tounen malad.Kou m te vini nan lakay,m te etidye *Nahuatl*, li difisil lang ak tou gwo.M anvi ekri bayay men genyen anyen nan lespri mwen.
M te di, m a ekri yon gro *text* men..

Hello,
I didn't write anything yesterday because i didn't have any time. By tha way,i am sick today.I don't know why.Yesterday,we went to the pool again,the weather was cold,so i became sick.When i came to house,i studied *Nahuatl*,it is difficult language and also great.I want to write something but there is nothing in my mind.I said,i will write a huge text but..

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-08-04, 20:00

Thanks for your explanations once again, Marcus. If I made mistakes about tenses it's because I am not into them yet. But I'll try to look them up soon.

ego, I'll indeed try to find someone from that website. I actually expecting to contact someone in the coming few days, and see what happens before trying polyglot.

Mirac, how come you don't know chif-yo, they are on the website ego told us about. Same with the 'more than', 'less than' expressions. You sure your studied the whole website?
I'll try to write something in Creole now..

Kreyòl se yon fasil lang, men nou bezwen ye pale souvan. Fò pale anpil pou metrize Kreyòl.
Sou chif-yo, sa se bon, men mwen ajoute kadinal:
To make an cardinal number into an ordnial number a -"yèm" to it.
1st = premye
2nd = desyèm
3rd = twayèm
10 = dis
10th = disyèm

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-04, 20:06

Non,m konnen chif-yo men m jis te pa konprann kijen *combine* chi-fo ansanm.M ak di "100,200,300.." men ap 451,216,235... :wink:

No,i know numbers but i just didn't know how to combine numbers together.I could say "100,200,300,..." but not 451,216,235... :wink:

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-08-04, 20:07

Li pi vye pase frè li. = He is older than his brother.
Li mwen bèl pase se li. = He is less pretty than his sister.
Li brav tankou youn chat. = He's as brave as a cat.

These are the examples given on this website.
Pi...pase = more...than.
Mwen...pase = less...than.

But the dictionary gives me these:
mwenn - least.
mwens, mwenn - least.
mwens - less.
I think we should use these to to confuse mwen with I.

And I'll add that mye, miyò for best. Better is pi bon.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-04, 20:31

Mariam,Can you record your voice? I want to hear how it sounds like to my ear. :wink: Just read what you wrote. Or Marcus?

Mariam,sesini kaydedebilir misin? Kulağıma nasıl geliyor duymak istiyorum. :wink: Sadece yazdığını oku.Ya da Marcus?

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-08-04, 20:47

Yes Mirac, I can. But I'll just need to get sure I am pronouncing these sentences correctly, or I'll say them in a Frenchy way.
Maybe I can send the voice files to Marcus to tell me if they sound okay?

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-04, 22:17

Mariam wrote:Yes Mirac, I can. But I'll just need to get sure I am pronouncing these sentences correctly, or I'll say them in a Frenchy way.
Maybe I can send the voice files to Marcus to tell me if they sound okay?

I am working on an essay for my Persian summer course (that I forgot about :oops: - the essay, not the course). Unfortunately, I will not have too much time to correct your messages at the moment, but I evidently need to teach you both the past tenses. One cannot always write 'te' for past tense. I would tell you Mariam, how your Créole sounds if you make a recording and I would also make a recording of myself if someone explains how to me...Not that yuo are interested in listening to my Québécois-Haïtian- other languages mixed accent. :roll: :wink:

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-05, 7:46

I always write te for past tense. 8)

(Ben geçmiş zaman için her zaman te yazıyorum.)

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-07, 6:01

Alcadras wrote:I always write te for past tense. 8)

(Ben geçmiş zaman için her zaman te yazıyorum.)

I'm sorry that I haven't been here for a while - I went down to Montréal for the weekend in effort to seperate myself from my Persian essay (Which remains unfinished). Anyway, it is not always appropriate to use the particle 'te' for past tense, just as in French it would not suffice to always use the passé composé. There is a verb tense called the imperfect that is indicated by the particle 'kon'. The syntax for this particle does not change - it is identical to the word order for 'te' - which you all seem to have mastered. :wink:

Time does not permit me to go into all of the details tonight, but I would like to give you some examples and compare them with a language that you are all familiar with - Ego and Mariam, I apologize that I have a limited knowledge of Arabic and Greek, but I hope that you will still be able to benefit from these short examples.

m te fè-j'ai fait-I did-yaptım
m kon fè-je faisais-I was doing-yaparmışım

m te achte-j'ai acheté-I bought-aldım
m kon achte-j'achetais-I was buying-alırmışım

Let me know if you have any more in-depth questions.
Last edited by Sisyphe on 2006-09-22, 0:33, edited 1 time in total.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-07, 19:37

Mesi paske eksplikasyon-yo. :wink:
M ak pa ekri souvan nan sèjousi akòz mwen afere ak m pale tounen afere. :cry
:

Thanks for explanations.
I can't write often nowadays because i am busy and i will become busy. :cry:

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-08-07, 19:42

Alcadras wrote:Mesi paske eksplikasyon-yo. :wink:
M ak pa ekri souvan nan sèjousi akòz mwen afere ak m pale tounen afere. :cry
:

Thanks for explanations.
I can't write often nowadays because i am busy and i will become busy. :cry:

pou not paske

I don't understand your second sentence....It makes little sense in KA and is awkard in English...I don't know what to do with it... :?

Return to “Creoles and Pidgins”