Haitian Creole?

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-07-27, 22:09

Marcus wrote:
Mariam wrote:The title of the documentary read "Haiti: Yon peyi pa janm mouri". Does that mean "Haiti: a country that never dies"?

Haïti: A country never dies

Yaaay! See? I added 'that' in English to make it sound better to my ears only.

Alcadras, in that title the article came before the word: Yon peyi.

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-07-27, 23:02

Marcus, your link is hopeless. Or my internet connection is. :roll: I'll try again later then.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-28, 3:57

Mariam wrote:Marcus, your link is hopeless. Or my internet connection is. :roll: I'll try again later then.

Hey! It's a great link! Must be your Internet connection... :wink:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-07-28, 7:02

Mariam wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Mariam wrote:The title of the documentary read "Haiti: Yon peyi pa janm mouri". Does that mean "Haiti: a country that never dies"?

Haïti: A country never dies

Yaaay! See? I added 'that' in English to make it sound better to my ears only.

Alcadras, in that title the article came before the word: Yon peyi.

I started yesterday,too. :lol:
and yes,yon is "a" :P indefinite pronouns.

Ben de dün başladım. :lol:
ve evet,yon "a" :P belirsiz zamirler.

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2006-07-28, 7:46

Marcus, if many Haitians have problems with anything white - what would they think of a white person learning/speaking Haitian Creole? :?

Quite a few Frisians consider outsiders learning their language as some kind of threat against their community.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-07-28, 7:53

Amikeco wrote:Marcus, if many Haitians have problems with anything white - what would they think of a white person learning/speaking Haitian Creole? :?

Do they? :roll:

Öyle mi? :roll:

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2006-07-28, 8:01

Sorry, but in my eyes this is a serious question. I just want to know how the situation is there.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-07-28, 8:26

I mean,do they have problems with white people?

Beyaz insanlarla problemleri var mı demek istiyorum.

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2006-07-28, 8:35

Well, Marcus has written somewhere that certain members of his family do have problems with whites, and it is not very likely that they are the only ones.

I can understand the reasons behind it but racism does not only work in one direction. :(

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-07-28, 10:48

Mariam,from which resources do you study? From now,i'm studying from wikipedia.I really liked this language,more simple then French,verbs are not inflected for tense or person,no grammatical gender :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Cr ... rade_marks

Mariam,hangi kaynaklardan çalışıyorsun? Ben şimdilik wikipedia'dan çalışıyorum.Bu dili gerçekten sevdim,Fransızca'dan daha basit,fiiller tensden ya da kişiden etkilenmiyor,gramatik gender yok :P

ego

Postby ego » 2006-07-28, 12:01

Wow, suddenly people study Creole.. perhaps I should revise mine.. Creole indeed seems great, I hope I'll be able to hear some recordings in order to find out how it sounds too. The link Marcus gave.. are you sure it's Creole and not French spoken by a Haitian? I recognized words like "il faut que", "on a", "moi je travaille" etc which are not supposed to exist in Creole
Last edited by ego on 2006-07-28, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

ego

Postby ego » 2006-07-28, 12:05

By the way I found great online dictionaries and I printed one which is very very detailed and it even has a special section for the internet and pc terms in Creole. That's of great help. If you google a bit I'm sure you can find it

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-07-28, 12:33

http://www.geocities.com/frenchcreoles/kreyol/
This is a very sucsessful grammer site.
By the way ego,how long have you been studying Kreyol ayisyen?

http://www.geocities.com/frenchcreoles/kreyol/
Bu çok başarılı bir gramer sitesi.
Bu arada ego,ne zamandır Haitice çalışıyorsun?

ego

Postby ego » 2006-07-28, 13:09

Indeed, that's the one Alcadras! Good site for sure. I can't say I studied Creole.. I have just read that site twice-thrice carefully. But then of course I speak French which helps a lot. And of course I used the online dictionary

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-07-28, 13:16

I don't speak French,even a word.It would be easier if i can speak it. :roll:

Ben Fransızca konuşmuyorum,bir kelime bile.Konuşabilseydim daha kolay olurdu. :roll:

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-28, 17:23

Amikeco wrote:Marcus, if many Haitians have problems with anything white - what would they think of a white person learning/speaking Haitian Creole? :?

Quite a few Frisians consider outsiders learning their language as some kind of threat against their community.

I would say that the reactions vary greatly. Many older people are extremely suspicious of a white person that speaks Haïtian créole- I don't think that this fear is based upon anything logical, but that doesn't prevent them from feeling the same that they have for decades...Most other people will react with amusement and curiosity.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2006-07-28, 18:09

Thanks for clearing that up, Marcus! :)

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-28, 18:15

ego wrote:Wow, suddenly people study Creole.. perhaps I should revise mine.. Creole indeed seems great, I hope I'll be able to hear some recordings in order to find out how it sounds too. The link Marcus gave.. are you sure it's Creole and not French spoken by a Haitian? I recognized words like "il faut que", "on a", "moi je travaille" etc which are not supposed to exist in Creole

I had saıd ın my post that some of the people ıntervıewed are speakıng French. You are rıght though, some of them are speakıng French ınstead of Haïtian Créole.

M@!

Postby M@! » 2006-07-28, 19:50

Marcus, your link is definitely not working for me. :cry:

Alcadras wrote:and yes,yon is "a" :P indefinite pronouns.

:oops: My bad.

Indeed, that was my thought too.
Do any foreign people live in Haiti at all?

Alcadras wrote:Mariam,from which resources do you study? From now,i'm studying from wikipedia.I really liked this language,more simple then French,verbs are not inflected for tense or person,no grammatical gender :P

Me too, as well as this page.
It's very basic. Exactly what I want for a start. Then I'll look for other resources once I grasp these very well.
I'll post the Wiki page in the other thread, to have all our resources organized in one thread.

ego wrote:Wow, suddenly people study Creole..

:lol: Why not?

Alcadras wrote:http://www.geocities.com/frenchcreoles/kreyol/
This is a very sucsessful grammer site.
By the way ego,how long have you been studying Kreyol ayisyen?

I can't see any grammar on that page. :?

And by the way Mirac, why not start with Creole and then learn French? That may help you as well in the other way around. Don't you think so?

Marcus wrote:I would say that the reactions vary greatly. Many older people are extremely suspicious of a white person that speaks Haïtian créole- I don't think that this fear is based upon anything logical, but that doesn't prevent them from feeling the same that they have for decades...Most other people will react with amusement and curiosity.

8)

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-07-28, 19:54

That's what i thought so.I mean learning Creole and after French.In that site,look at left and you'll see lessons.

Ben de öyle düşündüm.Creole öğrendikten sonra Fransızca demek istiyorum.O sitede,sola bak,dersleri göreceksin.

Return to “Creoles and Pidgins”