Cairde bréige na Gaeilge

Moderator:kevin

linguoboy
Cairde bréige na Gaeilge

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-04, 17:08

Táim ag déanamh iarrachta as úire ar beagán Ghaelainn na hAlban dh'fhoghlaim agus tá an t-iomad na gcarad bréige ann. Mheasas go mbeadh ciall dom liosta a dhéanamh díobh ansan in ionad snáithe eile.
Now that I'm learning a bit of Scottish Gaelic, I'm finding so many false friends that I thought it might make sense to list them here rather than in the True False Friends thread.

(gd) aodann face (Sheall mi 'na h-aodann preasach. "I looked in her wrinkled face.")
(ga) éadan forehead (Bhí roic in éadan an tseanduine. "The old man had wrinkles in his forehead.")

(gd) blàth warm (Tha a' latha blàth. "It's a warm day.")
(ga) bláith [lit.] smooth (Is bláith an aiceacht dhúmh-sa. "It's a gentle lesson for me.")

(gd) duilich sorry (Tha i duilich. "She is sorry.")
(ga) duilich difficult (Is doiligh léi é "It's difficult for her.")

(gd) gaol love (Tha gaol agam oirre. "I love her.")
(ga) gaol relationship (Tá gaol agam léi. "I'm related to her.)

(gd) glic clever (Tha i cho glic ris a' mhuncaidh. "She is clever as a monkey.")
(ga) glic cunning (Tá sí glic, mar shionnach. "She is sly, like a fox.")

(gd) toil delight (Chan toil leis e. "He doesn't like it.}
(ga) toil will (Níl a thoil leis. "His heart's not in it.")

(gd) toilichte happy (Chan eil seann aois toilichte. "Old age is not happy.")
(ga) toilithe consented (Tá sí faoi bhun aois toilithe. "She is below the age of consent.")
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Re: Cairde bréige na Gaeilge

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-05, 21:06

(gd) A' Bhreatainn Bheag Brittany
(ga) An Bhreatain Bheag Wales

(gd) A' Chuimrigh Wales
(ga) achoimrigh summarise

(gd) àireamh chothrom an even number
(ga) áireamh cothrom an equal reckoning

(gd) àrd-inntinneach high-minded
(ga) airdintinneach high-spirited

(gd) cothromach fair, just, impartial
(ga) cothromach flat

(gd) curran dearg carrot
(ga) corrán dearg wild radish

(gd) sgarbh cormorant
(ga) scarbh scarf
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2020-08-12, 13:29

linguoboy wrote:(gd) duilich sorry (Tha i duilich. "She is sorry.")
(ga) duilich difficult (Is doiligh léi é "It's difficult for her.")

You put the Sc. Gaelic form for Irish. ;-)

linguoboy wrote:(gd) toil delight (Chan Cha toil leis e. "He doesn't like it.}
(ga) toil will (Níl a thoil leis. "His heart's not in it.")

I’m not sure I’d agree this is really a true false friend – toil in Gaelic AFAIK generally means ‘will’ too:

an ti a nì toil Dhé ‘he that does God’s will’,
tha toil agam sin a dhèanamh ‘I wish to do that’,
ma ’s e do thoil / ur toil e ‘if you please; very humbly please’

And in Irish it can also mean ‘desire, wish’. It’s just that in Gaelic it is used in the is toil leam… ‘I like’ phrase – which originally even didn’t have that word (is toigh leam is older, but because of sounding similar to is toil leam got reanalyzed as such and now is toil leam is more common – at least acc. to Colin B.D. Mark; but is toigh leam historically also makes more sense since in phrases is X le Y Z ‘Y finds Z to be X’ X typically is an adjective rather than a noun, cf. Irish is fada liom go… ‘I am longing to…’, ‘I find [the time] until… to be long’; is maith liom… ‘I like, I find … to be good’, etc.).

In his dictionary, C. Mark even calls toil in the phrase is toil le… ‘an alt spelling of toigh’ (which I don’t think is really accurate if people respond with is toil instead of is toigh to the question an toil leat X?).

Dwelly doesn’t even mention the phrase is toil (probably too modern), but he does mention is toigh leam.

You can also find quite a few false friend by looking at the cara bréagach mark before entries in the PDF version of intergaelic dictionary by Kevin Scannell: Foclóir Gàidhlig-Gaeilge
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is í Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-02-21, 22:22

Duolingo just dropped a tonne more Gaelic lessons, so this thread is back to life.

(gd) oileanach student
(ga) oiléanach islander

In Irish, the verb-noun of oil "instruct, nourish" is oiliúnt and the corresponding derived form is oiliúnach "nourishing".

(gd) eagalach fearful, scary
(ga) eaglach fearful, timid

In English, "fearful" is also somewhat ambiguous, being used both with the meaning "full and fear" and the meaning "causing fear". Although Scottish-Gaelic eagalach is similarly ambiguous, the meaning "frightful, scary" seems to be the dominant one nowadays whereas in Modern Irish eaglach can only mean "fearful" in the sense of "afraid".

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2021-03-02, 16:22

Two typos:
linguoboy wrote:(gd) oileanach student
(ga) oiléanach oilnach islander

In Irish, the verb-noun of oil "instruct, nourish" is oiliúnt oiliúint and the corresponding derived form is oiliúnach "nourishing".

That’s a good one – the Scottish one always confuses me for a second before I realize its meaning when I see it.

Thanks for pointing out oil and oiliúint – wasn’t aware of them. Makes sense that Sc. Gaelic has -anach there, since it shortened all the unstressed long vowels. Similar to (ga) mathúin vs (gd) mathan from older mathghamhain (still written as mathghamhuin by MacBain and math-ghamhainn by Dwelly).
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is í Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-03-03, 1:38

silmeth wrote:
linguoboy wrote:(ga) oiléanach oilnach islander

MED, although I try to keep to CO for the benefit of learners, I'm not a stickler so you will see the occasional pre-reform spelling creep in.

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2021-03-03, 11:09

linguoboy wrote:MED, although I try to keep to CO for the benefit of learners, I'm not a stickler so you will see the occasional pre-reform spelling creep in.

MED?

Hmm, is there any dialect where oiléan better reflects the pronunciation? I’m fine with non-standard spellings, especially when they reflect actual dialect.

But I wouldn’t call writing oileán ‘sticking to CO’ – if you search through Corpas RIA, you’ll see it’s already used in 17th c. and it’s the more popular spelling already in 18th c. texts, and also the definitely pre-reform Dinneen’s has oileán and oileánaċ.

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2021-03-04, 9:51

Also, interesting, Colin Mark’s dictionary gives afraid as the first translation of (gd) eagalach – but then he lists translations alphabetically, and all the other words have the dreadful meaning. So perhaps he just added afraid because sometimes that’s also possible (although not default) meaning.

But then (gd) neo-eagalach is just ‘unafraid, fearless’.

Return to “Celtic Languages”