Irish Study Group

Moderator: kevin

księżycowy

Re: Irish Study Group

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 21:19

kevin wrote:No idea, to be honest. I was mostly ag magadh. Now I had another look at your book, and the first interesting thing I saw was the little story at the very end. So, maybe when you're done with the book and doing something else.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I intend on diving into some literature after this. Maybe you'll join in for that? You don't mind reading some good old Munster literature, do you? :P

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-04, 21:38

I'd be up for that as long as I can access whatever you plan on reading.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 22:04

Well, I know that eventually I want to read Séadna, but I think I'd like to ease into it, so I'll probably just read something off Cork Irish.

Maybe Mo Scéal Féin? We don't have to decide right now though. We have some time. :P

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-04, 22:07

księżycowy wrote:Maybe you'll join in for that? You don't mind reading some good old Munster literature, do you? :P

As long as you don't force me to read it out with a Munster pronunciation... :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 22:14

You can read it any way you want.

Just don't record yourself and send it to me. :wink:

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2018-11-04, 22:37

As for Munster texts, as least those by Ua Laoghaire, I’d recommend starting with Sliabh na mBan bhFionn with notes by An Lon Dubh. It uses a bit more archaic language than the other texts, but it is much shorter, it is mostly straightforward, and the notes are very helpful. It was the first longer text in Irish I managed to read. I’d recommend it to anyone starting to learn reading Munster.

As for Mo Sgéal Féin vs Séadna, I don’t really think that Mo Sgéal Féin is that much easier (AFAIK it uses less idioms and colloquial language, but it’s still Ua Laoghaire’s Cork dialect), while Séadna has IMO a very big advantage in the form of notes by An Lon Dubh on Séadna thread of the Irish Language Forum (you can find the notes directly here as the CaibidealX.pdf files) and the whole text with vocabulary and notes on the corkirish blog, and also there is a good (approved by Ua Laoghaire) English translation (you can download it as a pdf as well), which all help a lot with reading. I think with Mo Sgéal Féin one doesn’t have such help on the Internet, so even though the text might be easier, it isn’t necessarily more accessible.

I myself have been reading Séadna for over one and a half year with long pauses (I read a chapter or two during two weeks or so, then I lose interest for a few months, then I come back… I keep my notes from reading, so I always can fairly easily come back). It had been really hard at the beginning, I often needed over an hour to parse and understand a single paragraph, and a lot of searching through the notes, teanglann.ie, Wiktionary, etc., but after a few chapters it gets much easier. Also always I can consult the English translation to see if I understand everything correctly.

I’ve read 8 chapters, and the last few ones were pretty easy as the grammar goes – I mostly needed help with new vocabulary. The fourth chapter was the hardest, but probably because I just started it exactly when I got tired of reading Irish the first time, and lost motivation halfway through it.
Last edited by silmeth on 2018-11-04, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 22:45

I wasn't nessicarily picking it out of ease. More so that it's available online. But then again the same thing is true of the others.

Whatever the case, we can revisit this and decide when we're almost done going through TYI.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-05, 12:42

Actually, considering how I (we :P ) did on that last lesson, I'd like to review it and do the exercises backwards.

So I'm thinking of doing Lessons 3 & 4 this week. Thoughts?

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-06, 18:43

księżycowy wrote:So I'm thinking of doing Lessons 3 & 4 this week. Thoughts?

Yes. :yep:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-06, 18:44

Great! That'll be our plan then!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-08, 15:40

Exercises for Lesson 3 backwards!

Starting with.....drumroll please.....

Exercise 9:
► Show Spoiler

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-10, 19:17

OK, to be a sport, I did Exercise 9. To help me keep all this straight in my head, I did these in Scottish Gaelic too--I believe I had done this with this particular exercise some years ago, but I've misplaced my Gaeilge-Gàidhlig notebook I had been keeping when I first started studying Irish.

I've checked all the Munster answers (in bold) with the key, so they should be correct now. Number 10 gave me a bit of a fit, which you can see from my note there and the CO version of the sentence I added as well.

► Show Spoiler

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-10, 23:46

I hope you don't mind, but with Munster and Scottish Gaelic there, I just have to try in and fill in Ulster versions. It might not come out perfect because what I'm used to and would normally use is more standardised forms, but it should be interesting to see the differences.

► Show Spoiler

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2018-11-11, 11:44

ceid donn wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Wouldn’t Scottish Gaelic also have t-prothesis here? Chuir sinn an t-airgead? If not, why? It’s a masculine noun starting with a vowel in nom.-acc.
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-11, 13:35

Exercise 9 (again :lol: ):
► Show Spoiler

It seems I sometimes get confused as to how to order genitive noun phrases, even though it seems to follow English word order (assuming you're using the "the ____ of the ____" construction).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-11, 15:59

As much as I love the pace we had been going, and still fully intend to not flake on this study group for a second time, I was wondering if everyone else would be ok with going at a slower pace?

What the slower pace might be, I haven't fully decided yet. At the moment I can see two options (maintaining our weekly assignments): One lesson a week, or split the lessons up and read the grammar section one week and the following week do the exercises. I am open to other suggestions too, of course.

Being involved in 6 study groups doesn't work in my favor as far as the time I have to spend on the languages I'm trying to learn. :P (Naturally, I should probably cut down my list, but eh. That's not an easy thing to do.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-12, 4:04

księżycowy wrote:As much as I love the pace we had been going, and still fully intend to not flake on this study group for a second time, I was wondering if everyone else would be ok with going at a slower pace?

YES! Please!
I'm not expecting you to do the exercises, aside from listening the them.

Wait, we can listen to them?

EDIT: So what do we do next? Or at least, what do I do next? :hmm:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 10:12

vijayjohn wrote:YES! Please!

Ok, what kind of pace would you like to see?

Wait, we can listen to them?

See the first post of this thread.

EDIT: So what do we do next? Or at least, what do I do next? :hmm:

Answer my question above, and start working on lesson 4?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-12, 18:06

księżycowy wrote:Ok, what kind of pace would you like to see?

How about one lesson a week?
See the first post of this thread.

Crap, I totally missed that! Okay. Hopefully I'll actually use it now. :hmm:
Answer my question above, and start working on lesson 4?

Ceart go leor!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-13, 4:48

All right, I did that as well, and here are my answers!
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Celtic Languages”