Irish Study Group

Moderator:kevin

linguoboy
Re: Irish Study Group

Postby linguoboy » 2018-06-25, 15:00

kevin wrote:
księżycowy wrote:Tomás: Is me Tomás, agus cad is ainm duit?

Are you sure that Munster would say "Is mé" there? It feels very unusual to me, I'd always say "Is mise". Or, of course, you can echo the question and say "Tomás is ainm dom".

Aontaím leat.

kevin wrote:
Máire: Cad thú é an t-aos thú?

Interesting construction, I didn't know this one before.

Variation: Cad é an t-aos atánn tú?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-25, 19:41

Go raibh maith agat! (It seems your reply to my question about d'aois got erased, but I saw it before that anyway).
kevin wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:And yes, I was really confused by the whole cuir/cuid thing, though at least I think I understand what the sentence meant.

"cuir" is the verb "to put", "cuid" is "part" or "share". So the sentence literally means "Put on you your share of clothes." I'm actually surprised they use it so early, but after possessive pronouns, you have to use this "cuid" before plural and uncountable nouns (to varying degrees, depending on the dialect). The meaning is simply "Put on your clothes."

Is the first consonant in d'aois pronounced [g] in Munster and/or Ulster, too? I noticed that in the recording, so I'm guessing that is how it's pronounced at least in Cois Fharraige.

No, pronouncing "de" (and "do" as well) as [gə] is a Connacht thing. It's [də] in most other places.

Go raibh maith agat féin!
księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:So are you also learning about prepositions in Munster Irish while we're doing all this?

I've already learned the basic prepositions and I've been learning the prepositional pronouns as of late.

So you've already moved on to Chapter XV of TYI? :shock:

What's our goal for next week btw? Unit 2? (Just like Unit 1 was our goal for this week?).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-25, 20:11

I'm just finishing up lesson XIV.

And sure, if that works for everyone else.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-26, 0:13

Oh, so are you doing Exercise 33 or something? :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-26, 0:14

If I remember correctly, yes.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-06-27, 7:00

księżycowy wrote:
Antea wrote:What was the schedule, anyway? On Monday we have to be at which lesson of the book?

It's Tuesday, and the assignment is to finish Unit 1. When in doubt of the assignment or due date, check my first post in this thread. :)

So how is it going for you, Antea?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-06-27, 8:45

kevin wrote:
księżycowy wrote:
Antea wrote:What was the schedule, anyway? On Monday we have to be at which lesson of the book?

It's Tuesday, and the assignment is to finish Unit 1. When in doubt of the assignment or due date, check my first post in this thread. :)

So how is it going for you, Antea?

The video that you posted about the pronunciation has been very useful for me, thanks! I still have to finish Unit 1 (because I have been a little bit delayed with learning the Hebrew alphabet :roll: Sorry for mixing the references to different study groups). I keep going :yep:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-06-28, 9:59

Ok, I am now in lesson 3. And I have to say that this is like “ a whole new world “ for me. I am completely :shock: with everything, including pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary. Concerning pronunciation, I suppose it’s just like English, meaning, “o lo tomas, o lo dejas”, it’s just like it is :hmm: .

But I like it. I am doing a first round of learning, just to have a little “aperçu”. And I suppose that latter I should come back to relearn and to focuse on grammar. For the moment, I am just getting acquainted :yep:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-28, 12:08

That's fantastic!

My recommendation is when you're ready to dig into the grammar is to start using Learning Irish by Ó Siadhail, which is much more into the grammar than Colloquial Irish, and added bonus: it covers the same exact dialect as CI, so you'll still be learning the same pronunciation and grammar rules (there are some differences in both between dialects).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-28, 20:39

I apologise for slipping on my duties here. Actually there was some contemplating whether I would continue or not, but I think I like kevin's idea of using this to be my weekly review, so I'll be hanging on as best as I can! Therefore, I may end up dropping off some weeks, but I will do my best to stay consistently active here as part of the group.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-01, 19:11

Wait, Antea, you already got all the way to Unit 3 in Colloquial Irish? :shock: I haven't even started Unit 2 yet!

Btw, we are still in Week 2 right now, right?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-07-01, 19:14

Yes, and yes. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-01, 21:11

So is anybody still interested in doing the exercises for Unit 2 like I (we?) did last week for Unit 1? Because I know at least you (księżycowy) and kevin have been seriously learning Irish whereas I'm not, I'm pretty sure Ciarán already knows it way better than the rest of us (and anyway tbh he hasn't said anything in this thread since just after it was started), and I'm not 100% sure whether Antea is seriously learning it or not. I also know that you're focusing on Munster, kevin is focusing on Ulster, and Antea is trying to get used to the orthography. :hmm:

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2018-07-01, 21:22

I'm still monitoring the thread, though I haven't had time to actually respond to anything (replying to a long message or several messages on my phone is a massive pain in the ass), but yes, I did the first two lessons in my head as I read through them about half an hour after I last posted here. I didn't learn anything new :/
If you guys need help and for some reason neither Kevin nor Linguoboy jumps in first, I'll answer your questions if I can :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-01, 21:33

By the way, what variety of Irish do you speak? IIRC you're not a native speaker, right, or are you? And your parents are native speakers or something like that, right? (EDIT: I feel like I should know all of this already, but I forgot if you did answer those questions in the past).

I'm also kind of confused about what księżycowy's weekly review plan is and how it's supposed to work. :hmm:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-07-01, 21:43

vijayjohn wrote:I'm also kind of confused about what księżycowy's weekly review plan is and how it's supposed to work. :hmm:

What are you confused by, and what would you like to know?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-01, 21:49

I'm confused by what your "weekly review" consists of. Are you still intending to work through Colloquial Irish? Or were you hoping to watch the rest of us work through it and then translate the dialogues into Munster, like you did last week?

But also, how is that going to work if only you, kevin, and I guess Antea are seriously studying it? :hmm: Are you and kevin still intending to work through the exercises or something?

I mean, I'd just do the same thing we did last week, except with Unit 2 instead of Unit 1, but I'm confused about whether and how that's actually helping anyone.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-07-01, 21:53

What would you recommend then?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-07-01, 22:01

I only didn't post my exercises because it would have been essentially the same as you already had posted, so there was probably little use in doing so.

Would you prefer if I posted them anyway?

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2018-07-01, 22:07

vijayjohn wrote:By the way, what variety of Irish do you speak? IIRC you're not a native speaker, right, or are you?

I'm not a native speaker, no. I learned CO (an Caighdeán Oifigiúil - the Official Standard) in school, peppered with the various dialects of my teachers. I'd say my Irish is mainly Munster based with significant Connacht influence and some (though not much) Ulster influence. Mostly I sick to the standard and differ to Munster Irish for pronunciation, except for certain words or conventions which I feel (for whatever reason) should be pronounced in a different way.

vijayjohn wrote:And your parents are native speakers or something like that, right? (EDIT: I feel like I should know all of this already, but I forgot if you did answer those questions in the past).

I'm not sure if I answered this specificly in the past, but no, neither of my parents are native speakers. My mother hardly speaks a word of it whereas my father is reasonably fluent, or at least he used to be.

Return to “Celtic Languages”