Irish Study Group

Moderator:kevin

linguoboy
Re: Irish Study Group

Postby linguoboy » 2018-11-01, 15:25

księżycowy wrote:*iarraid

Although there are exceptions (chiefly in compounds and a couple of adverbs), caol le caol agus leathan le leathan should be absolutely pounded into your head by now.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-01, 15:29

Aside from the occasional brain fart, I'd say that's true. I immediately got why you highlighted that in red. :lol:

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2018-11-01, 15:44

kevin wrote:I don't think it's a good idea to talk about "tá" as the singular form. That might become very confusing. It is simply the analytic form that is used in all cases where you don't use a synthetic form, both singular and plural.

I agree, that speaking about analytical form is clearer, although it is (or was?) possible in Munster to use the plural synthetic form with explicit (pro)nominal subject. táid siad is afaik still common, and one can find sentences like chuadar na fir abhaile (instead of analytic chuaigh na fir abhaile) in Séadna, or even gháireadar an chuideachta even though in this sentence the subject is grammatically singular!, it just denotes a group of people (something like the company were doing… in English).

But, anyway, I think even in Ua Laoghaire’s works this older use of 3rd person plural synthetic forms with a subject is more common in the past tense than in the present.
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is í Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-01, 16:29

Time to finish off Lesson 2!

Exercise 7:
► Show Spoiler

Out of utter curiousity, I did check the answer key for B8 and B9. It's hard to tell when they want present tense or past tense sometimes (B9). Would the form I did use for B9 be the correct past tense of léim?

I was pleased to see I got the right form of the past tense of léim (in B8).

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-11-01, 17:25

księżycowy wrote:A1. Léimíd (Léamair?) na leabhair.

Leathan le leathan!

księżycowy wrote:2. Ar chreid an sagart an garsúin?

An garsúnna garsúin.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-01, 17:43

Consider those brain farts. :whistle: :P

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-11-01, 17:56

księżycowy wrote:Consider those brain farts. :whistle: :P

If you're spelling it wrong, that probably means you're saying it wrong, even if only in your head.

For funsies, why don't you try translating "My brain farted"? (For fart you can use leog brom [CO: lig broim] or scaoil brom [CO: scaoil broim].)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-01, 18:15

It could also mean I'm just a sloppy typer. :P

EDIT: Here's my attempt at "brain fart":
Scaoil bhrom m'inchinn! :?: (I wasn't sure what to do with either leog or scaoil there. I'm rusty!)

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-02, 7:42

A fart released your brain? (Also, why did you lenite "brom"?)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-02, 9:04

Past tense?

EDIT: I had looked up brom (broim) in teanglann and saw it was a verb as well as a bounce. I should have looked up scaoil too. I assumed it was a package deal for "fart". I assumed wrong. :P Now that I've looked everything up, which admittedly I should have done from the start, here we go:
Scaoil m'inchinn brom!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-02, 17:24

ceid donn, I'm basically going to say the same thing I did in the Japanese study group. I know you're not going through the resource a different way than me and Vijay, and such, so I'm not expecting you to do the exercises, aside from listening the them. You can share anything you like as we go through the lessons though :)

Sorry it took me a bit to post this.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2018-11-03, 21:14, edited 2 times in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-03, 21:13

More exercises!

Exercise 8:
► Show Spoiler

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-04, 0:05

Yes, I've been mainly listening to them--I've covering chapters 2-6, since the recording from archive.org starts with chapter 2, so there's less material for me to mess around with. I've done these exercises for these first handful of chapters so many times in the past, forgive me for not writing them out again. Right now, listening and shadowing--and reading out loud the exercises that aren't in the recordings--is far more beneficial for me. But don't worry, I'm following along. :wink:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 9:06

Sounds good to me!

I'm sorry that the rest of us are going a bit slow. :P

Also, it might not matter, but if you'd like the complete audio, I recommend grabbing it off of the University of Indiana's language website (CeLT).

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-04, 9:57

You should hurry up a bit so I can finally join in seriously. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 10:27

It doesn’t help that I’m in a few other study groups, you know. :P (Not to mention other stuff going on.)

Out of curiousity though, what would it take for you to join seriously? Since you said that. :whistle:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 11:44

Exercise 9:
► Show Spoiler

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-04, 17:23

księżycowy wrote:It doesn’t help that I’m in a few other study groups, you know. :P

I don't think that's my fault. :P

Out of curiousity though, what would it take for you to join seriously? Since you said that. :whistle:

No idea, to be honest. I was mostly ag magadh. Now I had another look at your book, and the first interesting thing I saw was the little story at the very end. So, maybe when you're done with the book and doing something else.

księżycowy wrote:2. Léigheann sé leabhair an gharsúin.

No love for pre-reform spelling? :( :D

4. Tá an cat fén bhfuinneoig agus tá an gadhar ag an ndoras.

Oh, that book still teaches dative forms? Nice. (Probably only shows how old it is, though.)

6. Chuir sé gloine ar an mbhóird.

Ha, I always knew that secretly you want to learn Ulster! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 17:51

kevin wrote:No love for pre-reform spelling? :( :D
Well, considering I want to seem like I live in this century, I probably should learn the post-reform spellings. :P

Oh, that book still teaches dative forms? Nice. (Probably only shows how old it is, though.)

Yes, yes. It's an old textbook. But as those of us interested in dialectal Irish know, you take what you can find.

Ha, I always knew that secretly you want to learn Ulster! :P

I could swear I've said before I have every intention of learning Ulster (and Connacht) Irish! I just want Munster to be my primary interest.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 18:46

How do lessons 4 & 5 sound to you for this coming week, Vijay?

Return to “Celtic Languages”