Trying to learn some Cornish

Moderator: kevin

Alluns

Trying to learn some Cornish

Postby Alluns » 2013-11-02, 11:39

I am looking to see if there are any other folks out there who are learning Cornish? I have a book called "Desky Kernowek" and will try to work through it. If there are other learners/speaker, could you give me a little insight to your method of learning? I live in Texas, and am pretty sure there are absolutely no speakers in my direct vicinity.

ceid donn

Re: Trying to learn some Cornish

Postby ceid donn » 2013-11-03, 0:04

Yeah, I'm in Texas and I can't say I know of anyone here who knows Cornish. Then again, I study Gàidhlig, so I haven't exactly been looking for Cornish learners.

Morlader is kind of our sole, resident Cornish learner right now. Hopefully he's stop by and help you out. The Celtic languages aren't the most popular groups here at Unilang, but don't let that thwart you.

Have you tried Twitter? Try seraching the hashtags #kernewek and #kernowek -- there are few people out there tweeting in Cornish and about Cornish.

Alluns

Postby Alluns » 2013-11-03, 3:51

Ceid Donn,
No I haven't checked twitter much. Thanks for that hint. I am also studying Irish. Are there many people around you learning Gàidhlig? I would love to try to delve a little into it once I improve my Irish.

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-11-03, 4:46

http://www.cornish-language.org/index?lang=eng

If you haven't seen it already. Some downloads and information about Cornish.
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-03, 10:49

I wouldn't mind learning some, especially considering that there is a pretty good course available online for free (KDL). But, that being said, at this point I would rather resume my Irish studies before delving into a new Celtic language.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2013-11-03, 11:52

If it helps you with the decision, and just to confirm your tendency, I would very much prefer if you brought some life to the Irish threads... ;)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-11-03, 12:56

Alluns wrote:Ceid Donn,
No I haven't checked twitter much. Thanks for that hint. I am also studying Irish. Are there many people around you learning Gàidhlig? I would love to try to delve a little into it once I improve my Irish.

No. :lol: Gàidhlig learners and speakers in Texas and the rest of the SW are pretty scarce. As far as I know I am the only one in this region (El Paso/Las Cruces). There are couple people on the ACGA website offering group lessons--one in Fort Worth, in person, and the other over Skype (I think he's in North TX too). But I don't know either of them and haven't meet anyone who does (and for all I know those are out-of-date listings).

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-11-05, 19:06

I really liked the KDL online course, I think there should be one like it for every language! :D

księżycowy wrote:But, that being said, at this point I would rather resume my Irish studies before delving into a new Celtic language.

I hate decisions. Just do both :)

kevin wrote:If it helps you with the decision, and just to confirm your tendency, I would very much prefer if you brought some life to the Irish threads... ;)

We could all do a bit more to bring them back to life. I'll get thinking about ideas for threads..

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2013-11-05, 20:36

Ciarán12 wrote:We could all do a bit more to bring them back to life. I'll get thinking about ideas for threads..

Is é an fhadhb go bhfuil scríobh na Gaeilge an-mhall dom. Mar sin is fearr liom léamh. ;)

Alluns

Postby Alluns » 2013-11-05, 20:56

I'm tempted/possessed to learn or study them all of the Celtic languages to some degree. I have just picked up a small little book "Breton Grammar" an English translation from a French book by Roparz Hemon. I am interested to see how similar Breton is to Cornish. I am definitely interested in the KDL correspondence course, although most of my other resources I have been using are in SWF or KS orthography. I've never encountered anything quite else like the orthography quarrel with Cornish. I dont know if I even still really understand it.

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-11-05, 21:06

kevin wrote:
Ciarán12 wrote:We could all do a bit more to bring them back to life. I'll get thinking about ideas for threads..

Is í an fhadhb (í ná) go bhfuil scríobh na Gaeilge an-mhall dom. Mar sin is fearr liom léamh. ;)

Ní san fhóram seo amháin a mbeadh an seans agat an Ghaeilge a léamh, b'fhéidir gur chóir duit leabhar furasta a léamh? Bain triail as "Dúnmharú ar an Dart".

'Tis not on this forum alone that you'd have the chance to read the Irish, perhaps you should read a simple book? Try "Dúnmharú ar an Dart".

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-11-05, 21:11

Alluns wrote:I'm tempted/possessed to learn or study them all of the Celtic languages to some degree. I have just picked up a small little book "Breton Grammar" an English translation from a French book by Roparz Hemon. I am interested to see how similar Breton is to Cornish. I am definitely interested in the KDL correspondence course, although most of my other resources I have been using are in SWF or KS orthography. I've never encountered anything quite else like the orthography quarrel with Cornish. I dont know if I even still really understand it.

The orthography dispute seems to have been resolved. If you are interested in the difference between the Breton and Cornish you might like this thread.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-05, 22:28

Ciarán12 wrote:
I hate decisions. Just do both :)

Considering I don't have a ton of free time between work and my graduate studies, I don't think that would be wise. Call me a buzz kill, but I'm trying to stick to one language at a time. The only exception being during the Powwow.

Alluns

Postby Alluns » 2013-11-06, 15:10

Well, I just signed up for the KDL correspondence course, so we will see how I do.

morlader

Postby morlader » 2013-11-27, 13:32

I haven't been here in a while, busy preparing for a move to China...

Yes Desky Kernowek is a good resource, it'll give you a solid grounding. If you're looking for more audio-based learning, there is an audio course (also called Desky Kernowek) here. You can also join the Facebook groups, one is called "I pledge to become more fluent in Cornish in 2013", and another is called "Desky Kernowek" which accompanies the audio course. A good site is www.learncornishnow.com although parts of it might be a bit useless if you're in Texas. There are plenty of Cornish novels and books available on Amazon for shipping worldwide, which you can use to improve your reading comprehension. And like ceid donn said, there are many who tweet in Cornish, search for the hashtags #kernowek or #kernewek.
An lavar coth yw lavar gwir:
Na vedn nevra dos vas a davas re hir;
Bes den heb tavas a gollas y dir.
[flag=]kw[/flag]

Return to “Celtic Languages”