[Scottish Gaelic] Questions about pronunciation

Moderator: kevin

nighean-neonach

Re: pronunciation of 'spiaire', please?

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-12-12, 15:28

And that's the whole problem, really, you might find or make up all kind of fancy words, but the average Gaelic speaker would have to ask you what that is anyway ;)
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

neoni

Postby neoni » 2008-12-12, 16:55

i'm gonna throw a spanner in the works and say that i'm pretty sure i've heard spiaire in gaelic

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2008-12-12, 22:40

neoni wrote:i'm gonna throw a spanner in the works and say that i'm pretty sure i've heard spiaire in gaelic

No, neoni, in order to make this simple and not to confusing, you simply haven't heard spiaire in Gàidhlig :P ;-) (poor kr0m3 asks a simple question and we make a dissertation out o' it, haha)
Image[flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]gd[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]pt[/flag] [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]no-nn[/flag] [flag=]fo[/flag]

Albeit the Scot in me is of the Western stock and the red of the Cairngorms, the heather and the Lewissian gneiss, the Viking in me was there when you uttered the first word of your leid.

eurabol

Postby eurabol » 2008-12-13, 0:01

There is also the word 'brathadair', which has negative connotations if used by the spied-upon - an infiltrator, a mole, a betrayer, a deceiver, a wolf in sheep's clothing.

It comes from the verb brath, a' brathadh- to deceive, which is what a spy/infiltrator does. Part of the job description, so not in itself negative, if used by the organisation/country who send him on his mission.

I have never come across spiare or anything like it in Scottish Gaelic, and have had a look in various resources out of curiosity, with no result.

The initial letter combination 'spia..' is not a standard one in Scottish Gaelic.

kr0m3

Postby kr0m3 » 2008-12-13, 15:05

nighean-neonach wrote:...About IPA, I'm just too lazy for that, sorry, apart from that I expect people to have a very general idea of the pronunciation of a certain language when asking for such translations... ;)

actually, i did not come here for a translation. i already had the word (albeit the wrong one).
the entire reason that i came here in the first place was for the pronunciation.

sorry if i have put you off somehow. this forum seemed the perfect place to ask such a question.
perhaps i misunderstood the nature of the site. at any rate, thank you very much for the alternative phrases that you offered. they certainly helped me understand some subtle differences.
---
eoghan was kind enough to offer the pronunciation for both the correct phrase and what I mistakenly thought was the correct phrase (thanks for that). :!:

eurabol; thanks for bringing a whole new word to use!

neoni: apparently, 'spiaire' is Irish Gaelic, not suitable for use around this forum :wink:
tons of references to it in the interwebs... here's one for instance:
http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/tr ... html#29868

at any rate, thanks to all for their interest in my problem. i really appreciate it!
have a fantastic Yule and a wonderful new year....
:partyhat:

~k

neoni

Postby neoni » 2008-12-13, 17:14

i see what you did there :wink:

laurmitchell

Eoghan pronunciation

Postby laurmitchell » 2009-02-15, 0:25

Hi all,

I am a Canadian of Scottish heritage, currently expecting my first son in May.

My partner and I love the name Ewan, and in the baby name book I have here, it says that Eoghan is an acceptable alternate spelling (we would like to be different since we have a very common last name). Now, I have been doing my research because I don't always believe what I read, and it seems from I am reading online that the most common pronunciation is actually like 'Owen'.

If we were to name our son Eoghan and pronouce it as Ewan, would that be wrong? If there is a grave accent over the o (Eòghan) does that make a difference? :hmm:

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

linguaholic

Re: Eoghan pronunciation

Postby linguaholic » 2009-02-15, 0:33

Do you really want your son go to have his name mispronounced all the time and having to spell it over and over just to make it look fancier?
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

laurmitchell

Postby laurmitchell » 2009-02-15, 0:48

That wasn't my question, but no, I don't care.

I have friends that have grown up with odd names (Kajsa, K'Shian, Tiffin, etc) and they don't mind spelling it for people, they love that they're different. I consider myself to have a very easy-to-spell name, but it still gets butchered.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-02-15, 0:55

Last edited by Sean of the Dead on 2010-01-31, 7:06, edited 1 time in total.
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

laurmitchell

Postby laurmitchell » 2009-02-15, 1:08

Well, I really didn't expect so much fuss over such a simple question... :?

I personally speak English and French (Canadian).I am interested in Scottish Gaelic since my dad used to speak it (he's been in Canada for 30 odd years, and it's slowly been slipping away) and recently visted Scotland and fell in love with it while on the Isle of Skye. My partner and I travel quite a bit, and trying to learn the basics of German and Spanish.

But really, if this place is going to be this friendly every time I ask a question, I won't be coming back.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-02-15, 1:15

Last edited by Sean of the Dead on 2010-01-31, 7:05, edited 1 time in total.
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2009-02-15, 1:15

Hey sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I just post what's on my mind without thinking, when I'm tired. (And if I'm honest, not only then.)

As for pronunciation, you should probably ask Eoghan himself! :)
http://www.unilang.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12196
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2009-02-15, 8:47

Hi there, nice to see that you've chosen to give your son the best possible name ever :D My name's Eòghan / Johan, and it's either pronounced as Owe-ann or Yowe-ann, all my Gaelic relatives (they're mostly from Lewis) say Yowe-ann, as the Swedish version of my name's Johan. The further south you go, the closer the pronunciation resembles /'o:ən/. But northerners tend to say /'ju:ən/ or /'jo:ən/.

I always have to tell people that Eòghan is not meant to be pronounced as /e:o:gʌn/, but hey, that's not a big problem, and yes, I would but a fada (grave accent) over the o.

Le meas,

Eòghan
Image[flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]gd[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]pt[/flag] [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]no-nn[/flag] [flag=]fo[/flag]

Albeit the Scot in me is of the Western stock and the red of the Cairngorms, the heather and the Lewissian gneiss, the Viking in me was there when you uttered the first word of your leid.

laurmitchell

Postby laurmitchell » 2009-02-15, 18:51

Thanks Eòghan, I really appreciate all your help!! :D

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2009-02-15, 20:41

laurmitchell wrote:Thanks Eòghan, I really appreciate all your help!! :D

's e do bheatha, you're welcome :D

justinmorahan

Postby justinmorahan » 2009-03-01, 22:28

I am not an expert on Gaeilge but I translated Mordechai Vanunu's poem "I am your Spy" into Irish choosing "Spiaire" rather than "brathadóir" which means "traitor"
The pronunciation (again an amateurish attempt) would be spee-irh-e. The "irh" indicates a slender "r" after the "i" which "i" is pronounced like the "i" in "it". The last "e" is like the "e" in "yet" and is short so that it could even be called "uh", I think.
The accent is on the first syllable "spee".

Mordechai was in prison in Israel for seventeen years and was released on April 21 2004 and was greeted by friends from many countries. The following year we again visited him, still in partial captivity, and it was my privileger to recite his poem in my language within sight of the nuclear reactor in Dimona where he had worked.

MrUniversal

Pronouciation help

Postby MrUniversal » 2009-03-07, 0:51

First off, I would like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post ever! :D

I have been trying to teach myself Gàidhlig for a couple of weeks now. The question I have is about the word "bhoidheach" (beautiful/pretty?). After trying to memorize as much of the pronunciations as I could, one thing still confuses me. Why is it pronounced voy-och, shouldn't the DH be a "g" sound?

Thank you,

MrUniversal

Quevenois

Re: Pronouciation help

Postby Quevenois » 2009-03-07, 2:26

Ok.
Last edited by Quevenois on 2010-11-02, 3:07, edited 1 time in total.
אַ שפראַך איז אַ דיאַלעקט מיט אַן אַרמײ און פֿלאָט

MrUniversal

Re: Pronouciation help

Postby MrUniversal » 2009-03-07, 2:31

Thanks for the help. I still have to do some work with my slender and broad distinction.

Return to “Celtic Languages”