[Scottish Gaelic] Questions about pronunciation

Moderator:kevin

ceid donn
faclan oràin de "Lon-Dubh" le Julie Fowlis

Postby ceid donn » 2012-03-29, 5:17

Tha mi ag iarraidh na faclan oràin na Gàidhlig de "Lon-Dubh" le Julie Fowlis agus chan eil mi an lorgadh àite sam bidh. :( An urriann do duine sam bidh gam chuideachadh?

nem96

[Scottish Gaelic] Questions about pronounciation

Postby nem96 » 2012-03-29, 10:41

Hello,
we are making the UK night in our school, and i have been given the task to read a poem in Gaelic. I have found the pronounciation rules, but I still find it hard to read, and I'm not sure that I'm reading it correctly :). Can someone who knows Gaelic help me? Here is the poem:

S Gann Gun DÏrich Mi Chaoidh

'S gann gun dÏrich mi chaoidh
Dh'ionnsuidh frÏthean a' mhonaidh;
'S gann gun dirich mi chaoidh.

Fhuair mi litir a D˜n Eideann 'g rýdh
Nach feud mi dhol do 'n mhonadh.

'S tric a mharbh mi fiadh ard bheann
Air na glinn a b'ýille culaidh.

Fýgaidh mi a nis an tir seo, chan fhaigh
M'inntinn sÏth innt' tuilleadh.

Bheir mi ruaig gu cÚrs' nan Innsean
Feuch an dean mi fhÏn am buinnig.

PS. It is urgent, because the UK night is on monday.

ceid donn

Re: Gaelic poem pronounciation help

Postby ceid donn » 2012-03-29, 22:28

This is actually a waulking song, and not a poem. But I suppose you can read it as a poem. There's several typos in this and I'm not sure why there's words with "y" in them, since Gaelic does not use that letter. I could probably guess what most of the typos are suppose be, but I'd prefer a corrected version. If you can provide me with a better typed version of this, I'll *try* to record a couple of MP3s of me reading this for you, if my schedule permits. Edit: I've found I have a copy of these lyrics in one of my books. I'll try to record a couple of MP3s for you this weekend, IF my schedule permits.

Note: I'm an American and so I do not have a "true" Gaelic accent. I have been studying Gaelic with a native speaker for over 4 years however.

nem96

Re: Gaelic poem pronounciation help

Postby nem96 » 2012-03-30, 8:50

Thank you very much. I wasn't even sure if I was reading it correctly, and it sounds very strange if I follow the rules :). I found it on the internet, and this is the only version. If you find some time, please record it.

Return to “Celtic Languages”