księżyc - Gaelainn

Moderator: kevin

księżycowy

Re: księżyc - Gaelainn

Postby księżycowy » 2020-05-21, 10:28

linguoboy wrote:It could be san, but not sa in this case because uisce starts with a vowel.

Oh, right. I forgot about the added n before vowels. Thanks for reminding me.

(I'm not sure if they were being deliberately archaic by including insan in some of the examples or if it was still found among older dialect speakers at the time TYI was published.)

Perhaps it's like their usage of the dative plural ending in some exercises then? They do seem keen to teach some archaisms in TYI.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-05-21, 14:26

księżycowy wrote:
linguoboy wrote:It could be san, but not sa in this case because uisce starts with a vowel.

Oh, right. I forgot about the added n before vowels. Thanks for reminding me.

It's not being "added"; it's just not being dropped. The spelling sa simply reflects the fact that the /n/ of an is deleted before many consonants, particularly fricatives. But the underlying form of the article is still /ən/.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2020-05-21, 14:34

My terminology was a bit awkward, but you know what I meant. :P

Though, it's interesting to note the phonological observations. I think I was starting to pick up on that on the audio.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-05-21, 16:20

księżycowy wrote:My terminology was a bit awkward, but you know what I meant.

I did, but I think it's important to be clear about terminology because n-insertion is a thing in (Munster) Irish, just not in this case!
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2020-05-21, 18:25

Good to know.
Go raibh maith agat!

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2020-05-22, 8:55

Worth noting that when it’s written in full, it’s always ins an or insan (eg. ins an bhád, ins an chroí, etc.) with the ⟨n⟩ written, unlike the shortened sa without it.

That’s also unlike Scottish Gaelic where you write anns a’ or sa (anns a’ bhàta or sa bhàta) before lenited fricatives and anns an and san before unlenited consonants and vowels (san sgeul) – both short and long version lose the ⟨n⟩ in same contexts.
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2020-05-22, 10:30

So, you couldn't have *insa, I gather. Or have I misread?

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2020-05-22, 10:35

księżycowy wrote:So, you couldn't have *insa, I gather. Or have I misread?

Yes, I’d say so.

At least I haven’t seen *insa, only insan or ins an. Probably because in the full version an is still treated as the definite article (and it also is always written in full in Irish: an bhean, not *a’ bhean or anything like it, even if it’s pronounced as /ə v′an/ without the /n/).
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2020-05-22, 16:06

silmeth wrote:Probably because in the full version an is still treated as the definite article (and it also is always written in full in Irish: an bhean, not *a’ bhean or anything like it, even if it’s pronounced as /ə v′an/ without the /n/).

That's what I was thinking as well.

Return to “Celtic Languages”