księżyc - Gaelainn

Moderator:kevin

kevin
Language Forum Moderator
Re: księżyc - Gaelainn

Postby kevin » 2018-06-14, 12:54

księżycowy wrote:But we could come up with exercises to quiz each other. :P

I just kind of assumed that any textbook would contain some exercises...

Thats kind of the point in trying to start these up: motivating each other. :P (Whatever your reasons are for learning it. :lol: )

Oh, yes, I get that. I'm just not sure if I really want to get motivated. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-14, 13:02

kevin wrote:I just kind of assumed that any textbook would contain some exercises...

Of course! I'm just trying to point out the Google docs for Hokkien will have more than just the exercises in them.

That's not to say that we couldn't start up a Google doc for Irish to do exercises in (whether from the textbook, or of our own design). :wink:

Oh, yes, I get that. I'm just not sure if I really want to get motivated. :lol:

Time to pep you up, then! :partyhat: :woohoo: :bounce: :burning:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-17, 0:47

Well kevin, unless you have better luck convincing dEhiN than I did, it looks like if this were to happen it'd be just the two of us (for now at least).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51432&start=1720#p1111226

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-06-17, 13:06

Cad é a mholfá mar sin?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-17, 13:12

For which?
Just the two of us doing a study group, or you trying to convince dEhiN to join in? :P

(I hope I understood your question right.)

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-06-17, 13:30

Just generally, what do you suggest we do. A study group of one and a half people, just give it up, or any idea for someone who would more realistically join in than dEhiN?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-17, 13:36

Well, I can't readily think of a third person who would possibly join. It's a rare day someone actually expresses interest in Irish.

Idk. I mean if your willing to try a two person group, I am. Maybe someone else will eventually join in too. I'd hate to kill the idea so quick. But if you don't want to, I understand.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-17, 13:56

AHEM! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-17, 14:03

We all know you don't count, Vijay.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-19, 21:19

Well, now the question I find myself faced with is, concidered we're going through Connacht Irish resources for the study group, do I want to try and continue with Munster along with Connacht, or is it better to stick with one dialect and then come back to Munster later?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-06-19, 21:37

That's a question that nobody else can answer for you. I think my own approach will be to read Connacht Irish, but write CO/Ulster. I think can manage grammar and pronunciation differences, but vocabulary may require to look up every unknown word so I learn at least a standard form and not only the Connacht one. We'll see.

If you like, I'd be happy to discuss occasionally in the study group how things would be said in the other two dialects.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-19, 21:42

Well, I think I've made it this far in TYI, I'd hate to loose that progress. Might as well try to bring it to the end.

And I'd be happy to discuss how things work in Munster too. See? Vijay's comparative thing is happening!

So, I'm not sure how much flying I'll do with the study group. :P

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-06-19, 22:00

I don't think you have to lose any progress. You can still use TYI for comparison and learn both Munster and Connacht forms, maybe even Connacht only passively. It's just a bit more effort than simply using what the study group book uses.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-19, 22:05

I thought that's what I just said. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-04, 13:36

I just recently aquired a copy of An Ghaeilge (the textbook written in Polish), and I wondered how Munster the Munster Irish in it actually is. I feel like it might be a bit influenced by CO, but my Irish is rusty, plus the resources I had been using were dated.

Here is the last dialogue in the textbook:
irish1.jpg

Irish2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-04, 16:11

Hopefully An Lon Dubh will come along with an exhaustive reply. I only glanced at it, but two things leapt out at me from the first paragraph: chuige an bóthar and ghabh an tslí, both of which reek of Connacht to me. Then again, I think the dialect here is West Kerry which I don't know as well as West Munster.

What made you suspicious?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-04, 16:19

The verb section for one. The forms of tá given seemed suspicious to me.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-04, 16:24

księżycowy wrote:The verb section for one. The forms of tá given seemed suspicious to me.

That's a good point. In West Kerry, you'd expect thá rather than . So I'm not exactly sure what they're aiming for here.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-04, 16:31

I wonder if it's CO with Munster pronunciation? Or maybe it is some transitional dialect between Munster and Connacht?

They do talk about using Munster in the forward, but I don't know in what context. My Polish isn't up to the task yet.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-04, 16:39

księżycowy wrote:They do talk about using Munster in the forward, but I don't know in what context. My Polish isn't up to the task yet.

There's definitely some Munster word choice going on, like prátaí, faic, ach go háirithe, and aon ní (TYI éinní), and some very Munster inflections, e.g. roimis. So, yeah, maybe they are aiming for some kind of transitional variety?

Return to “Celtic Languages”