[Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Moderator:kevin

Koko
Re: [Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Postby Koko » 2015-08-08, 6:55

linguoboy wrote:No, because you've left out the subject.

I thought that as long as it's understand who the subject is you needn't say so long it be a pronoun. Unless this is only possible when the subject's been stated already (or informally)??

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-08-08, 16:59

Koko wrote:

I thought that as long as it's understand who the subject is you needn't say so long it be a pronoun. Unless this is only possible when the subject's been stated already (or informally)??

Never heard of this rule. What's your source?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-08-08, 19:21

linguoboy wrote:
Koko wrote:

This video tells us why in "Tha gu math" the pronoun is dropped because it's understood "Tha mi gu math."

GregMcC

Postby GregMcC » 2015-08-19, 18:42

Hi all, new to the forum and I'm looking for a translation of 'I am beloved' curious if there us any difference if used by female or male genders ie how would a female say this if both are not the same?
Thanks in anticipation
Greg

My girl is looking to have 'I am beloved' in Scots Gaelic inked and we want to get it right, ps she wants a single word if there is one, so maybe just 'beloved' or 'loved'

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-08-19, 19:25

GregMcC wrote:My girl is looking to have 'I am beloved' in Scots Gaelic inked and we want to get it right, ps she wants a single word if there is one, so maybe just 'beloved' or 'loved'

Good on you for wanting to make sure that it's correct. But as for the wording, I recommend looking at the third suggestion on this page.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

scottishlassie

Postby scottishlassie » 2015-09-11, 14:50

Feasgar Math!

I am currently trying to learn Gaelic - very slowly and I was hoping someone might be able to help with a few translations that I need. I am a card designer and will be attending my local Gaelic School Christmas Fair and so would like a range of Gaelic cards to sell.

Wedding Invitation-

To the Bride and Groom -

On your Wedding Day -

Good Luck

Congratulations

New Baby

Mòran Taing x

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-09-11, 16:07

scottishlassie wrote:Feasgar Math!

I am currently trying to learn Gaelic - very slowly and I was hoping someone might be able to help with a few translations that I need. I am a card designer and will be attending my local Gaelic School Christmas Fair and so would like a range of Gaelic cards to sell.

Wedding Invitation-

To the Bride and Groom -

On your Wedding Day -

Good Luck

Congratulations

New Baby

Mòran Taing x

If you're going to be selling your cards for profit, then the ethical thing to do would be to share a very modest amount of it with the people adding value to it. That is, pay a professional Scottish Gaelic translator. The amount of money is trivial in the grand scheme, but every little bit helps.

jadeandpaul

Postby jadeandpaul » 2015-10-29, 1:37

Can someone show my wife and i how to pronounce the Scottish Gaelic girls name Adairia?

Sectori

Postby Sectori » 2015-11-30, 16:17

Koko wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Koko wrote:

This video tells us why in "Tha gu math" the pronoun is dropped because it's understood "Tha mi gu math."

a late reply: this is really only a thing for answers to the question ciamar a tha thu/sibh? (well, and for the 1st person conditionals where there are still verb endings that indicate the subject, but that's different) — otherwise Gaelic is very much not pro-drop.
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-11-30, 23:15

Late or no, thanks Sectori! ^^

TatterJack

Postby TatterJack » 2016-01-04, 19:49

I wonder if anyone might help me with a line I want to use in one of the current manuscripts I have in progress.
It's set in Scotland, so I need Scottish Gaelic, not Gaeilge.

"You're beautiful. May I kiss you?"

In case there are any gender based modalities, it's from a male to a female. And if there are formal and familiar forms (similar to the French Tu and Vous), this would be familiar.
My thanks indeed for any aid :-).

skippysasquirrel

Postby skippysasquirrel » 2016-02-24, 23:30

I'm reading Sir Walter Scott's Bride of Lammermoor. At one point in the story, a character says, "Skioch doch na skiall." That clearly isn't standard Scots Gaelic spelling, and you can imagine the trouble I've had trying to figure it out. I've figured out "doch" is probably "tog" (raise, as in raise a glass) or "tagh" (choose, as in sides). "Skiall" I'm guessing might have something to do with "skoal," the toast in Norse.

I'm at a loss. I've provided a bit more context below. Help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

"Then I don't like it at all," said Bucklaw; "so fill a brimmer of my auld auntie's claret, rest her heart! And, as the Hielandman says, Skioch doch na skiall."
"That was what tough old Sir Even Dhu used to say to me when I was out with the metall'd lads in 1689. 'Craigengelt,' he used to say, 'you are as pretty a fellow as ever held steel in his grip, but you have one fault.'"
"If he had known you as long as I have don," said Bucklaw, "he would have found out some twenty more; but hand long stories, give us your toast, man."
Craigengelt rose, went a-tiptoe to the door, peeped out, shut it carefully, came back again, clapped his tarnished gold-laced hat on one side of his head, took his glass in one hand, and touching the hilt of his hanger with the other, named, "The King over the water."

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-02-25, 3:02

The glosses I've found (going back to Samuel Johnson's dictionary) render this into English as "Cut a drink with a tale" (i.e. don't preach over your liquor). "Tale" is sgeul and deoch is "drink", but I'm not sure which word for "cut" is intended, sgath, sgiod, or another entirely. Also the grammar doesn't make sense to me, since na sgeul should mean "of the tales" rather than "with a tale".

So I'm not sure if there's a genuine Gaelic saying here which Scott garbled or if he attempted to invent one and took a few liberties.

skippysasquirrel

Postby skippysasquirrel » 2016-02-25, 20:11

That might be it, or something along those lines. The word-initial 's' in the first word might be "is," but the only word close to "kioch" I can find is "ceoch," which it seems means cloudy/nebulous, and I'm not sure how that would work.

Though Scott didn't speak Gaelic (as far as I know), he almost certainly had easy access to a Gaelic speaker or two in Edinburgh. Ah well. Frustrating.

Thanks though!

silmeth

Postby silmeth » 2016-10-24, 14:28

There is a very similar Irish saying, is túisce deoch ná scéal (“drink comes sooner than a story”, “rather a drink than a story”; “first a drink, then story-telling”).

So it’d be na sgeul in the meaning “than a story”, and not “of the story”.

As for the first word, Am Faclair Beag has a word sgoch for “cut” as a noun, but it doesn’t seem to make sense in this context (“cut of a drink than a story”?).

Google, when "deoch na sgeul" is searched, finds phrases is luaithe deoch na sgeul and bu luaithe deoch na sgeul (“sooner drink than story”, “drink was (would be?) sooner than story”).

Perhaps the text mixes some two cheer-phrases, one perhaps starting with sgoch (?), and the second being ’s luaithe deoch na sgeul.
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is í Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

Sagoca676

Postby Sagoca676 » 2016-12-23, 18:52

Hello, i hope that somebody can help me..
I wanna know the meaning of:
Gaol sìorraidh
Gràdh sìorraidh

I know that gaol and gràdh means 'love' but what is the diference? Which one were the best for say it to my husband?
I wanna say eternal love.

Thanx to all

cfassett

Postby cfassett » 2019-03-08, 21:51

Tl;dr: asking for a translation of the Gàidhlig (Scots Gaelic) song Oidche Mhath Leibh

I see that the last post to this discussion was back in 2016 but it's hard to find a good spot for this kind of request. I'm an American, from California, who was brought up listening to Alex Beaton, Alasdair MacDonald, and many others. I've loved Celtic folk music since I was a teenager and even managed to take Welsh as a foreign language in high school (through the local community college). I am not a fluent speaker of any Celtic language though I know phrases and songs in Irish, Welsh, Cornish, and Gàidhlig (and even one children's song in Manx). Nevertheless, I like to know what I'm singing. I can usually find translations but one in particular has been eluding me: Oidhche Mha(i)th Leibh. I have Gàidhlig lyrics courtesy of the LA Celtic Arts Center website:

Cha'n 'eil inneal ciùil a ghleusar,
Dhùisgeas smuain mo chléibh gu aoibh
Mar ni duan 'o bheòil nan caileag;
Oidhche mhath leibh, beannachd leibh.

(Séist)
Soiridh leibh 's oidhche mhath leibh
Oidhche mhath leibh, beannachd leibh;
Guidheam slàinte ghnàth bhi mar ruibh;

'S guth gu 'm chridhe pong nan òran,
Caidir sòlais òigridh 'seinn;
Aiteal ciùin air làithean m'òige;
Sonas a bhi'n còmhnuidh leibh.

(Séist)

Mathair uisge 'n tobair fhìoruisg',
Cainnt ar sinnsir brìgh na loinn;
'S faochadh tlàth o ànradh m'inntinn,
'Nuair bheir rann na glinn a'm chuimhn',

(Séist)

Grian cha laidh an nochd air mìltean,
Leis am binn a fuinn 's a roinn,
'S do'm bi'n sgeul 'na mhór thoil-inntinn
Dh'innseas dhaibh gu'n robh sinn cruinn.

(Séist)

Astar cuain cha dean ar sgaradh,
'S dùrachd daimh am bannaibh toinnt';
Gleidh an t-àgh na dh'fhàg a bheannachd;

(Séist)

Thuit ar crann air saoghal carach;
'S coma sud, tha 'mhaitheas leinn;
"Bidh sinn béo an dòchas ra-mhath,"

(Séist)

And I have translations for the chorus and first two verses, provided by Connie Dover originally.

Chorus
Farewell and good night,
and a blessing with you.
I wish you good health as usual,
Good night and a blessing with you.

No musical instrument is tuned
To stir the thought of my bosom
As the song from the mouths of the girls.

The voice of my heart, tone of the songs,
Cherished joy of the youths singing,
A tranquil glimpse of the days of my youth.

If anyone knows of a translation or can translate the remainder of this song I would greatly appreciate it. I feel that music is a great way for me help to keep these languages alive, in a limited sense if nothing else. I'm interested in learning one or two of these languages more thoroughly eventually, but probably not while I'm in graduate school, working two jobs, and running around after a toddler.

Thank you very much for your time

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-03-08, 23:10

We have a member who's fairly fluent in Gàidhlig na h-Alba, ceid donn. She hasn't been active lately, but you could try messaging her. If she's unable to help, I could try. My understanding of Gàidhlig na h-Alba is almost entirely passive based on my knowledge of Gàidhlig Mhuimhneach.

TomCam

Re: AONAIBH RI CHEILE

Postby TomCam » 2019-12-28, 10:22

redinpc wrote:I thank you for taking the time to try and figure this out. I have since posting this found out it should actually be "aonaibh ri cheile". I have been told on another site that it means Unite but am still looking for some clarification.

Hi there redinpc. I'm from Scotland and I'm a Cameron and have been told it means 'let us unite' as part of our crest. There is apparently another Cameron motto I saw briefly but couldn't get back to it online which is a completely different gaelic term that apparently says let the dogs eat or let the dogs have blood but it's a completely different te to the 'let us unite' term you originally asked about. No doubt you've discovered all this aged ago but I was brought here whilst trying to find that other term or motto for Cameron I once saw but cant find again so it'd my first time on here.

Colleen

Postby Colleen » 2022-01-11, 17:49

I am looking for a Scottish Gaelic translation for a tattoo. It will mean Here I Am in English. The translators online say it is Seo Mi. Is that correct? Is there a similar phrase that is common in this language? Thank you so much for your help.

Return to “Celtic Languages”