[Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Moderator:kevin

MacBayne
Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby MacBayne » 2011-09-19, 5:37

thanks for all the judgment. my father passed away suddenly and I was looking for some translation for his service (and perhaps a memorial tattoo).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-19, 11:12

I hardly knew the circumstances of your personal translation. Nor was I judging anyone really. It's just a shame people wouldn't learn the language.

Plus, as Gaelg already pointed out, there really aren't native (or even advanced) speakers around Unilang much anymore. You might have better luck elsewhere.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-09-19, 12:51

MacBayne wrote:thanks for all the judgment. my father passed away suddenly and I was looking for some translation for his service (and perhaps a memorial tattoo).

As Gaelg said, "if the cause is so important pay for it". Or is that an expenditure your father would've disapproved of?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

MacBayne

Postby MacBayne » 2011-09-21, 2:13

It is not about paying for it or lack of interest in the language - quite the opposite. time was of the essence for the service.

what I was thinking is that there may be a community of scots and scots descendants who may help each other. instead, this process made me feel like - to some - I was somehow unworthy of help because i have not found the time learn the language myself.

MacBayne

Postby MacBayne » 2011-09-21, 3:18

linguoboy wrote:
MacBayne wrote:thanks for all the judgment. my father passed away suddenly and I was looking for some translation for his service (and perhaps a memorial tattoo).

As Gaelg said, "if the cause is so important pay for it". Or is that an expenditure your father would've disapproved of?

I really hope that I have not gotten the proper context of this last statement due to the electronic medium. But if you meant this as sarcasm, then shame on you...that is pretty cruel.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-09-21, 3:54

MacBayne wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

I really hope that I have not gotten the proper context of this last statement due to the electronic medium. But if you meant this as sarcasm, then shame on you...that is pretty cruel.

I didn't mean that sarcastically. The only explanation I can comprehend for not paying a professional for their expertise in a case like this is that it would somehow contravene your father's expressed wishes, so that by doing so you would be showing him disrespect.

For example, if my father had said he didn't want fresh flowers at his funeral because it's a waste of money but grudgingly accepted that donated flowers would be okay, then I can see asking people (albeit not complete strangers) for donations of flowers. Otherwise, if it were important to have flowers I would pay a florist, and if it weren't I wouldn't.

Is that any clearer?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-21, 10:18

MacBayne wrote:what I was thinking is that there may be a community of scots and scots descendants who may help each other. instead, this process made me feel like - to some - I was somehow unworthy of help because i have not found the time learn the language myself.

Oh, there is. Just a very small group here. Most of which wouldn't know where to begin with translating most of the stuff that is asked of them (not to belittle their abilities with the language).
And also, this is hardly anything personal. It's also the fact that so many people stop by just for a translation, which can wear on you (of which I'm really just assuming, based on what Gaelg said). Plus there's really no advanced/native speakers to guide people (translation seekers, nor learners), as has already been said.
I'm sure if anyone knew of any other type of help they could give, they would. We're not out to put people off. Sorry if it seemed that way to you.

linguoboy

Re: Scottish Gaelic translation help please?

Postby linguoboy » 2011-09-29, 2:07

Someone has asked me how to say "Welcome to France". Would this be ""Fàilte gun Fhraing" or "Fàilte gus an Fhraing"? Or is the difference dialectal?

Somhairle

Postby Somhairle » 2011-10-16, 21:16

For that first person there the translation of "God is Light" is:
"Se Dia Solas" or "Se Solas a th'ann/tha ann an Dia"

For the second person you would probably use both, depending on the sentence you are using it in.

Somhairle

Re: Translate " half of a whole. Forever one soul." in Gaelic

Postby Somhairle » 2011-10-16, 21:20

The translation of that is:
"Leth de slan. Gu brath aon anam."

Somhairle

Re: Firefighter Translation

Postby Somhairle » 2011-10-16, 21:31

1. Everyone Comes Home - "A h-uile duine a' tighinn dhachaigh."
2. Brothers Above All - "Brathraichean gu h-a (hat on the a) rd Uile"
3. Two in, Two Out - "Dha a-staigh, dha a-mach"
4. Bless My Children And My Mate - "Beannaich mo clann agus mo mairist"
5. Honor - "Onor" (I think).
6. Valor - "Euchd"
7. Dedication - "Coisrigeadh"
8. Service - "Obair"

Phew!

Gaelg

Postby Gaelg » 2011-12-04, 19:11

linguoboy wrote:Someone has asked me how to say "Welcome to France". Would this be ""Fàilte gun Fhraing" or "Fàilte gus an Fhraing"? Or is the difference dialectal?

Fàitle don Fhraing no Fàilte dhan Fhraing (the don form is a higher register use, however in today's Gaelic they are interchangeable)

overrated13

Postby overrated13 » 2012-01-24, 16:18

I want to get a tattoo that shows my personality and my heritage. I want to know the pronunciation and the spelling of "Life is a Candle in The Wind" in Gaelic (Irish)...someone please help

Ch0sen

Translation request

Postby Ch0sen » 2012-01-25, 3:49

I know there are a lot of requests for translations here and I just want to thank you all in advance for your help.

Can you please translate "may the stars always shine brightly for you"

I am open to translations that are close to this that relate to bright stars as well

Thanks again for your help.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-01-25, 16:56

overrated13 wrote:I want to get a tattoo that shows my personality and my heritage. I want to know the pronunciation and the spelling of "Life is a Candle in The Wind" in Gaelic (Irish)...someone please help

I've provided an answer to your question in the Irish Gaelic forum: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=36138.

uncledude

Need help with translation for a tattoo

Postby uncledude » 2012-05-03, 12:54

I have Scottish ancestry and am looking to translate the phrase "a father's love is forever" to Scottish Gaelic for a tattoo. A cursory search came up with "is é a athar grádh éigríoch" Any help is greatly appreciated.

linguoboy

Re: Need help with translation for a tattoo

Postby linguoboy » 2012-05-03, 14:51

That looks like a bad machine translation, and in to Irish Gaelic to boot. If you don't get a response here from a Gaelic-speaker, you might want to try messaging one of them directly.

Sectori

Re: [Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Postby Sectori » 2012-06-07, 15:49

Random question that's been bugging me for a while now: how do you say "werewolf" in Scottish Gaelic? It's not in my dictionary nor any of the places I know to look online, and I keep forgetting to ask my teacher during the phone tutorials.
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2012-06-08, 22:33

I honestly have no idea. Your SMO instructor might know. Werewolves aren't part of traditional Scottish folklore, to my knowledge, and so the word would need to be more recently invented or imported.

Someone in the word game offered "conriocht" for the Irish word for werewolf, and that appears to literally mean "wolf-form." I can't find anything that corresponds with that either in Scottish Gaelic.

Sectori

Postby Sectori » 2012-06-09, 18:24

I'll try to remember to ask on Monday, then, and see what he says.
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

Return to “Celtic Languages”