[Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Moderator:kevin

Lambkin*2008
Re: Naming a Cottage

Postby Lambkin*2008 » 2011-06-14, 6:38

Hello, good morning and thank you for your reply.

I feel from your post that you are very much against , or at least resent folk using the Gaelic languange for "trivial" notions? Please believe me that a "Kitschy token name" is most certainly not my aim - I should stick with "Bonnieview" if that were the case!!

This old former farm-workers cottage, although derelict at the moment, is being restored as best we can - not with a particularly noble view in mind, but to ensure my family enjoy a peaceful retirement, very close to the farm which has been in our family for 4 generations and worked by my mother and father for the last 55 years. I apologise it might not be "something that would actually be relevant and meaningful to Gaelic speakers" - I and my family are Scottish, born and bred in Perthshire, do not speak Gaelic but would have liked a name that was essentially Scottish - one which reflected the past 55 years for my mother ie something to do with The Groan Farm, or which reflected the new Cottage (small, stonebuilt) or its surroundings (in the middle of many trees of all varieties and with the most magnificent view over 3 previous neighbours farms.

I am sorry you feel I and others who have come on looking for "a free translation"have offended you - it most certainly was not my intention and I am willing to pay for help and support (although I struggled to find a website that might suit my request as opposed to translating larger pieces of work from those who have an idea what they are doing! However, I did say I welcomed comments - even negative - and I do thank you for taking the time to post and have taken your comments on board.
Kind regards
Eileen

Gaelg

Postby Gaelg » 2011-06-14, 14:31

I take no objections to your request - it provides me with limited translation practice :) and plus you live in scotland :D so in a way it has a closer meaning to you. I do take objections to tattoo requests tho :evil: I just don't see the point, I don't like seeing Scottish Culture plastered over people thinking it's something "cool".

I am sorry I couldn't have been of more help and I do hope you find a perfect name for you cottage :) I think it gives something to the cottage's character when it has a gaelic name. It's a very common thing all over Scotland, whether gael or not. It may not preserve or increase the language, but a simple cottage name can intrigue people and even help increase awareness of the language on a street level. Although this is minimalistic, it is still good. :D

eirinn14

Postby eirinn14 » 2011-06-14, 14:41

I agree - an important argument for the revival of Gaelic is that it is the founding language of Scotland, not just that it should be revived in areas where it is already strong. OP isn't looking for a tattoo or motto she can't pronounce or understand - she's looking for something meaningful to do something nice for members of her family who have spent 55 years farming (incidentally, working the land is an integral part of Gaelic culture).

On a slightly seperate note, although I fully understand frustration with people who just want a one-off free translation, the hostility shown to such people just bolsters the idea that Gaelic is some sort of exclusive club and any attempt to learn will be met with patronising snide remarks. Gaelic is in such a fragile state that even if it annoys us on a personal level, we can't afford to pick and choose about what type of interest people show.

I happen to believe that it is important for Gaelic to have not just a conscious revival but an unconscious one. It should not only receive increased government funding, but be seen on a 'street level' as Gaelg said. It should be so much a part of the culture of Scotland that naming houses in Gaelic is a perfectly normal thing to do, not one that is met with hostility by those who claim to support language revival.

Lambkin*2008

Postby Lambkin*2008 » 2011-06-14, 16:30

Hi Gaelg
Thanks for your comments and for your suggestions also - you have helped no end....believe me! I know myself to be very patriotic but am not inclined to wear a badge... Giving the Cottage a Gaelic name is about finding something unique to us.....and to the cottage. We are not "flowery" or "sugary" folk and (my apologies to anyone with a beautiful house called Bonnyview)......the present name does not reflect either a chunky, rugged wee hoosie or ourselves and where we have come from.

Good afternoon Eirinn14
Thanks to you too for your comments. I do understand what you are saying. If however, frustration was caused purely by a cost issue then surely sites would exist for just that reason - pay your pound and get a 3 or 4 word translation! Maybe they do and I just could'nt find one..... And regular members/posters would direct visitors to one of these sites.
On the whole, all who have replied and e.mailed have been stunningly helpful to me and I genuinely appreciate your thoughts and the time taken to respond. I did try the "dictionary" way but direct translation etc etc (call me stupid.......but not too loudly please :hmm:) was beyond me!! I think the very worst thing I could do is to make a lovely oak sign with the wrong wording/grammar/meaning!

Mum is very fond of "Bothan nan Craobh" or "Grobhan Beag" and "Tigh Beag" or "Larrachbeag" - all of which reflect her or the cottage nicely.........I think! :wink:
PS.. sorry my posts read like "War and Peace"!

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2011-06-14, 20:25

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT CALL THE HOUSE TIGH BEAG !!!

It translates as the wee house, i.e. the toilet.

Lambkin*2008

Postby Lambkin*2008 » 2011-06-15, 7:10

Eoghan..........

Thanks!!!! That would not have been good - much appreciated :)

Hazel2211x

Scottish Gaelic translation help please?

Postby Hazel2211x » 2011-06-24, 17:33

Hiya can someone pretty please help me translate this phrase for my sister? She keeps asking me to find it and I have tried everywhere! I was wondering if someone would kindly translate the phrase "God is Light" into Scottish Gaelic for me. I would appreciate it a lot.

lobofraggers

Re: Need some help with translation for tattoo... !!

Postby lobofraggers » 2011-08-04, 19:11

hi there i have been looking every where and can't seem to find a translation for this saying

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead"

i am looking to get something done on my late great grandmothers grave as this is what she used to always say to me when i was little sad to chear me up. at the time i didn't know what she was saying until my grandfather told me after she died. he was going to help me with the translation but he also passed away before he could and he was the last in my family who could speak gaelic, so any help would be great and thanks to all who do.

lobofraggers

help with a translation for a plaque for a grave site

Postby lobofraggers » 2011-08-07, 18:13

hi there i have been looking every where and can't seem to find a translation for this saying

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead"

i am looking to get something done on my late great grandmothers grave as this is what she used to always say to me when i was little sad to chear me up. at the time i didn't know what she was saying until my grandfather told me after she died. he was going to help me with the translation but he also passed away before he could and he was the last in my family who could speak gaelic, so any help would be great and thanks to all who do.

Will

eirinn14

Postby eirinn14 » 2011-08-14, 18:15

I'm not sure if there's a specific Gaelic proverb roughly equating to this but a literal translation might go something like

"Bi toilichte cho fad's a tha thu beo, bidh thu bas airson tide gu leor"

There should be grave accents on the "a" of bas, the "i" of tide, and the "o" of leor. If anyone wants to correct me feel free, I have no idea if this is what you mean or not!

Gaelg

Postby Gaelg » 2011-08-27, 21:15

My 2 pence :

Bi toilichte fad `s a tha thu beò, airson gu bheil thu bàs airson tìde fada

it's a bit more literal but there really isn't anything you can expect. You'd need to get a Gaelic proverb that conveys a similar meaning. And since there aren't any really fluent Gaelic speakers kicking around Unilang at the moment, perhaps try somewhere else.

ld122320

Postby ld122320 » 2011-08-31, 15:31

Hi I was wonder if anyone could translate "Still waters run deep." into Gaelic. It would be very much appreciated.

thank you. x

MacBayne

Postby MacBayne » 2011-09-07, 17:48

Could someone help me with translating the following from English to Scottish Gaelic:

"i should have been there"

thanks,
scott

MacBayne

Postby MacBayne » 2011-09-07, 22:57

another translation if you will:

"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die."

Thank you
Scott

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2011-09-08, 0:58

I can't help with a Scottish Gaelic translation, but I can tell you that those infinitives are gonna cause some trouble in Gaelic (i.e. "to live" "to die").
Probably the closest you can get in Gaelic is something along the lines of "If you live in hearts you leave behind you will never die".
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

Gaelg

Postby Gaelg » 2011-09-11, 12:48

It's basically impossible to give them translations :shock: due those translations being specifically english idioms/expressions. I mean best is a literal translation or if lucky a gaelic equivalent...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-11, 14:53

Sad to see with is the most active part of the thread. Sorry, just had to say something.

Gaelg

Postby Gaelg » 2011-09-12, 13:25

księżycowy wrote:Sad to see with is the most active part of the thread. Sorry, just had to say something.

Yeah I know, it is a little upsetting. The people who want to learn here need a native and they left for all sorts of reasons not forgetting the uncopious amounts of pointless translations.

I take a very negative view of this, if the cause is so important pay for it. But i've said enough of this in the past. /rant.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-09-12, 14:13

It's just too bad that people don't want to learn the language rather than butcher some Gaelic translation.
I know I'm not a Scottish Gaelic learner myself, but as an Irish learner I feel your pain (kind of).

Scottishkate

Translate " half of a whole. Forever one soul." in Gaelic

Postby Scottishkate » 2011-09-13, 22:29

I am getting a tattoo and need the phrase

"half of a whole. Forever one soul." translated into Scottish Gaelic

Return to “Celtic Languages”