[Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Moderator:kevin

Psi-Lord
"Coisich a Rùin"

Postby Psi-Lord » 2002-09-23, 7:52

Even though I believe Daniel will end up being the one here :), I'd like to know whether someone could give me a hand with the lyrics of Capercaillie's "Coisich a Rùin" (which, by the way, are in Scottish Gaelic). I've just downloaded it and looked for its lyrics, so I could at least try to follow it, and I was lucky enough to find a couple of pages with the English translation following—great! (it was translated as "Walk My Beloved" by some and "Come On My Love" by others). However, I noticed something... After each line, all over the song, the singer sings the same three sentences, one at a time, such as in the first verse:

"Coisich, a rùin (hù il oro),
cum do ghalladh rium (o hi ibh o);
beir soraidh bhuam (hù il oro),
dha na Hearadh (boch orainn o)."

Interestingly, none of the translations I found for the song actually translates those sentences—they give the translation for the "main" verse lines only. So could someone tell me what do those sentences ("hù il oro", "o hi ibh o" and "boch orainn o") mean / stand for?

TIA!
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

darkina

Postby darkina » 2002-09-23, 12:37

ooh interesting! i want to download that too! i guess i will... 8)
Even if i dont' have a clue about the language, i like to hear songs in different languages, if i like them :)
(see, not only Daniel will reply to this topic- even if my post is useless ;))
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Francy

Postby Francy » 2002-09-23, 20:16

I'd like to know more about Gaelic music!! I know only Enya and the Clannad!!! And I love it so much!! But when I went there I didn't know which band or singer to try, i didn't which one weren't good (they're everywhere) and which were!! Give me some names!!!
There are more things in Heaven and Hearth than are dreamt of in your Philosophy...

<b>
www.myspace.com/ushuayia
</b>

Cristie

Postby Cristie » 2005-04-13, 15:35

Olá Psi-Lord,

I'm Brazilian too and it's nice to see another one interested in Gàidhlig!

Well, about the translation to:

"Coisich, a rùin (hù il oro),
cum do ghalladh rium (o hi ibh o);
beir soraidh bhuam (hù il oro),
dha na Hearadh (boch orainn o)."

The thing is, in Scottish Gaelic music there are many vocals with no meaning really, I guess especially the waulking songs, like Còisich, a Rùin. That's why you don't find translation to " hù il oro, o hi ibh o", etc, etc :D

Fìona

Postby Fìona » 2005-04-16, 23:31

I think Cristie's right about it not having much meaning. I spose they're the "oohs" and "yeahs". But the last line, "Boch orainn o" looks interesting. Orainn is close to oran (song) and I think I remember that "boch" means joy. Or maybe it's Cant!

Postby Guest » 2005-04-16, 23:35

Fiona, if I'm not wrong, òrain is the plural of òran. I didn't mention that of the last sentence because I'm not sure. ;)

Fìona

Postby Fìona » 2005-04-17, 11:43

Yep, I had that same thought last night after I'd gone to bed! I wonder where the extra N came from, though? It makes it look like one of them conjugal thingies.

charlotteh

Postby charlotteh » 2006-01-13, 15:45

That is a fantastic song, although it doesn't sound that much like a waulking song....
Or is it just a kind I haven't heard?
The wondrous thing about Gaelic song is all the made up words in random places that don't mean anything! (although there's a prescribed set of words used for this)
Isn't mouth music effectively made up of just this? On mouth music, is Capercaillie's Pige Ruadh mouth music?
Daniel!!!! Oh authority on everything!! Tell me if Coisich, a rùin is a waulking song! It just doesn't seem to fit in with the kind of pattern or sound. And I can't imagine a bunch of people doing the cloth thing to it....
As for the untranslated vocals that look like actual words, often the little made-up words bits contain real words too that sound nice with it, or fit, or whatever... (for example in one of the versions of the song about Gregor MacGregor getting his head chopped off - made famous by Margaret Bennett - the chorus of nonsense words 'ochain uiridh..' means sort of 'woe is me')
òrain is plural of òran, however I don't know about that other word, my dictionary doesn't recognise it.

charlotteh

Postby charlotteh » 2006-04-05, 16:20

I tell a lie, it is a waulking song...
orainn is Irish for 'on us', if that helps at all.... however in this case i think they're just meaningless vocables.

Aszev

Postby Aszev » 2006-05-07, 18:03

Where can you get any of these gaelic songs?

Freebooter

Can someone tell me how to say "Home of Conan"....

Postby Freebooter » 2006-06-15, 3:58

Feasgur math spioradan càirdeach,
Are there any "native speakers" here? If so can someone please tell me the correct way to say "Home of Conan"? I think it is "Dheth Conan an dachaidh". Am I correct?
Tapadh leibh,
Freebooter
Millbook, Ala.

mairi007

Engraving a ring ...Gaelic vs Irish translation

Postby mairi007 » 2006-06-19, 1:44

Please translate Gaelic ( Scottish) for me
How do you say "Eternal love- forever yours"
or other ways to say" I will always love you"
or "Soulmates forever"
also :
What is the translation for the words "snake" and "goat"?
Thanks

Scotty

Translation from English to Scottish Gaelic please.

Postby Scotty » 2006-06-30, 22:32

I am in the process of creating a tattoo and need the phrase "Trust No One" translated into Scottish Gaelic.
Can someone help?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Cheers, Doug

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2006-07-03, 23:34

I'm no native speaker... in fact I don't speak Gaidhlig at all! But going on Irish grammar, I would say:

Dachaidh Chonan.
(Home of-Conan)

From looking in a dictionary, it looks like you have there:

'From-him Conan the home'.... unless Irish and Scottish Gaelic have radically different grammars, I wouldn't say this is correct, although I could be very much mistaken (like I said, I don't speak Gaidhlig!)
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

Freebooter

Home of Conan?

Postby Freebooter » 2006-07-05, 15:25

Hello Delboy,
Thanks for your reply. I have become confused my self on the matter. When I said "home" of Conan, I was speaking of his homeland of Cimmeria, not his house or home he lived in. I reckon I need to study some more. If only they had some classes or even study groups in my area (Montgomery, Alabama).
Thanks,
Dave

Freebooter

Here are some Scots-Gaelic phrases (and one Irish one).....:

Postby Freebooter » 2006-07-05, 16:39

Hello,
I have some Scottish Gaelic phrases (and one is in Irish) that someone gave to me sometime back, some of which are pertaining to love. I hope these help:
----------------
SCOTTISH-GAELIC PHRASES (and one Irish):

1. I miss you!--Scottish-Gaelic: Tha mi gad iondrainn!--Pronunciation: Hah mee gat
ye-oondrin!
2. I love you!--Gaelic: Tha gaol agam ort!--Pron: Hah gool ackum orsht!
Note: the "ao" vowel combo actually sounds like the German "oe" or "ö".
3. May it go well with you!--Guma math a thèid leibh!--Gumma ma a heht
leeve.
4. Kindred Spirit--spiorad càirdeach--Pron: Speeruht cahrshtyuch. Note:
"ch" is exactly like "ch" in German. If you are unfamiliar with that then it
is sort of in the back of the throat, like a cat spitting or something.
5. White Lightning--dealanach bàn--jelanach bahn or bonn.
6. This one is Irish Gaelic: Love of my heart!--A ghra mo chroi!--A gra mo
chree! (I think)
7. You are the love of my heart!--Scottish-Gaelic: Is tù gaol mo
chridhe!--Ish too gool moe chreeyeh!
8. It is good to be hearing from you again!--Scottish Gaelic: Tha e math a
bhith a' cluinntinn bhuat a rithist!--Ha ey ma uh vih uh cleeuntchinn vuh-at
arihisht!
9. Upwards with Gaelic!--Suas leis a' Ghàidhlig!--Suh-as or swas leh-ish uh
ghahlick!
10. Music of my heart--Cèol mo Chridhe--Keh-ole moe chreeyeh.
11. Be true unto yourself!--Bi dìleas dhut fhèin!--Bee jeelous goot hayne!
12. Wind dancer--dannsair gaoth--daun-sehr gowh.
13. Wind song--Òran gaoth--Oh-run gow.
14. Son of the wind!--Òran a' ghaoth--Oh-run uh ghaw. That "gh" is a softer
sound than a hard "g".
15. My heart belongs to you!--Buin mo chridhe dhuit!-- Buh-in moe chreeyeh
goot!
16. Nature's hand--Làmh an Naduir--Lahv un Nadooer.
17. Good Night!--Oidhche math--Oweeyche ma.
18. Leis gach deagh dhuracd--A respectful end for a letter or note: "With every good wish!"--Pronounced: Leh-ish gach jehuch goorack!
19. Kiss my arse !--Scottish Gaelic: Pòg mo thòin!-- Pronunciation: Poke moe hoyn!
20. Get up!--Scottish-Gaelic: Suas faigh!--Pron: Suh-as (or swas) feh!
21. Arise!--Gaelic: Èirich!--Pron: Arich (the "È" is like our long "a" as in Dave).
22. A good New Year to you!--Bliadhna Mhath Ur dhut! Bleeana Vah ur goot!
23. Happy Thanksgiving Day to y'all!--Latha taingealeachd sona dhuibh!--Lah-a tankehluhchk sona gooiv!
24. Happy New Year to you!---Same as above but instead of dhuibh use "dhut", pronounced "goot".
25. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You!---Nollaig Chrieheil agus Bliadhna Mhath ur duibh (pl) or ghut (sing)---Nolleck Chreeyehl ackus Bleeahna Vah ur gooiv or goot. The word dhut is actually spelled dhuit, but they pronounce it and even shorten the spelling to dhut.
26. A hundred thousand welcomes!---Ceud mìle fàilte!--Kehd (or possibly Kyuhd) meeleh faltcheh!
27. Bright eyes---Sùilean geala---Soo-ilan gyala.
28. My home---Mo Dhachaidh---Moe gachee.
29. Welcome on you--Fàilte ort---Faltcheh orsht.
30. Prayer---Ùrnaigh---Oornee.
31. A very ernest prayer is "Achanaich", pronounced "achanihch
32. God with you!--Dia leat!--Pron: Jia leht. ("Dia Leat" is an expression or phrase which is the Scottish-Gaelic equivilant of the Spanish "Vaya con Dios": "Go with God!"). 33. Arse hole--Toll-Tòin---Pron: Toll-Tone. 34. I'm as tired as an old dog--Tha mi cho sgìth ri seann chù---Ha mee choe skee ree shun choo. 35. Happy Birthday to you David!---Là-breith dhut! (or dhuibh for plural "you")---Lahbray goot! 36. Happy Birthday to David or whoever---same as above but do away with the "dhut" and put "do" before David (Dàibhidh in Gaelic).

wilsonsamm

Postby wilsonsamm » 2006-07-28, 12:43

I first encountered the song on BBC's "beag air Bheag" language course which is recommendable. You can click on "song box" and then "Karen Matheson" to hear the song. It's very different from Capercallie's version, though.
The words are there, along with the translation.

The little "Hù-ill, horò" bits between the lines are as far as I know just nonsense that are just there because they sound nice.

Macca

Help

Postby Macca » 2006-07-29, 2:47

G'Day all. Can anyone help with english-Scotts Gaelic translation for names? I need this to put my kids names on a tattoo. I need the following if possible
Lisa,
Connor
Lachlan
Bowden
Rylie

Thanks

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2006-07-29, 12:49

I don't think you will have much luck with this... names usually only 'translate' when they are anglicised versions of Gaelic names or biblical names.
Conor (with one n, or Conchúr or Conchobhar - the older versions of the name) is an Irish name as it is... I don't know if there is a Scottish Gaelic version too.
You could try this website though: http://www.namenerds.com/scottish/trad.html
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

Macca

Thanks for the help

Postby Macca » 2006-07-30, 12:35

That is what I thought but worth the ask any way. Thanks for the web site I will give it a try. One other thing I thought if is if I can get a Gaelic Font set then I can just type out the name, that way the translation really isn't needed. Any ideas ?

Return to “Celtic Languages”