[Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Moderator:kevin

kevin
Language Forum Moderator
Re: [Scottish Gaelic] Translation requests

Postby kevin » 2022-01-11, 20:46

I'm not very familiar with Scottish Gaelic, but with my knowledge of Irish I doubt that it's a completely correct Gaelic sentence at all. If it is, it probably means "this is me", which depending on the intended context may or may not be close enough to what you're looking for.

Colleen

Postby Colleen » 2022-01-12, 13:43

Is there a common phrase or word in Scots Gaelic that means “strong, bold or independent” for a woman? (Cheesy thought but picture a woman standing atop a mountain, cape flying - that sort of image).

ALSO - I recently discovered that my Grandfather was not Irish but Scottish. After my Mum was born in Glasgow, they moved to Ireland. I was named Colleen to please my Grandfather. It almost sounds like he wanted to be Irish not Scottish. So question is - Heritage depends on where you are born, not lived, correct? So really, I am Scottish with an Irish name????

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2022-01-12, 14:19

Colleen wrote:I recently discovered that my Grandfather was not Irish but Scottish. After my Mum was born in Glasgow, they moved to Ireland. I was named Colleen to please my Grandfather.

Maybe he just liked the name.

Colleen wrote:It almost sounds like he wanted to be Irish not Scottish.

People don't usually move to a different country because they don't want to be from their own country.

Colleen wrote:So question is - Heritage depends on where you are born, not lived, correct?

Oh boy...

"Heritage" is a pretty vague concept. If you grow up in a culture, you may consider that culture and things associated with it to be your "heritage". "Grow up in a culture" is itself problematic though, as there are varying degrees of this. For example, if you are exposed to a certain amount of acculturation through your family, you may feel that their culture is part of your heritage even if the main culture of where you yourself grew up is different from theirs. Conversely, you may also feel that the culture of the place you grew up is your heritage even if it's not the heritage of your family who was born and raised elsewhere.

Colleen wrote:So really, I am Scottish with an Irish name????

If you weren't born or raised in Scotland, I don't think you're Scottish. Also, although "Colleen" comes from the Irish word for girl ("cailín"), it's not an Irish name (i.e. it's not a name in Ireland).
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

Banksy454

Postby Banksy454 » 2022-05-12, 10:12

Hi all

Can anyone be so kind to confirm that èirich a-rithist - means rise again and how would you pronounce it?

Thank you so much!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-12, 18:01

Banksy454 wrote:Can anyone be so kind to confirm that èirich a-rithist - means rise again and how would you pronounce it?

More precisely, it's "Rise again!" That is, it's a (singular)[*] imperative form.

If you can read IPA, the phonetic transcription of this phrase is [ˈeːrʲɪçɪˈrʲi.ɪʃdʲ]. This online dictionary has an audio file for "a-rithist" but not "èirich".

[*] The plural form is "Èirichibh a-rithist!"
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Celtic Languages”