ILE's Irish Questions

Moderator: kevin

księżycowy

Re: ILE's Irish Questions

Postby księżycowy » 2011-07-07, 20:27

linguoboy wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:3- Would you like to be my Irish penpal? Here's a little bit about me: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33812#p696703 . I think it would help me to have someone to learn with and be kept accountable with :P

I'm not really pursuing Irish actively now or I would. If you like, I can put you in touch with a group of gay Irish-speakers on Facebook. Maybe you can find someone there?

I'd be your penpal, but I'm moving horrendously slow on my Irish studies lately . . . .

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-07-07, 22:45

linguoboy wrote:I can relate. I gave up French for half a year because it reminded me of someone who broke my heart.
Well at least I'm not alone :P

ILuvEire wrote:Éisteann mé le Christy Moore. Is maith liom Christy Moore.

Same caveat as above--fine if you mean to say that you listen to Christy Moore all the time. (For some reason, "I like listening to Christy Moore" seems to me like a more natural way to phrase this, in both Irish and English.)
So "I like listening to Christy Moore" would be is maith ag éiste le Christy Moore?

ILuvEire wrote:Tá cat agam--tá sé ramhar, ach tá me go maith di mar sin féin.

"He's fat, but I'm good to her all the same"?

I don't think that idiom translates into Irish; I would probably go with cineálta léi myself. Mar sin féin also tends to come at the beginning of a sentence rather than at the end.
Whoops, that should have been tá sí ramhar :P

I'm not really pursuing Irish actively now or I would. If you like, I can put you in touch with a group of gay Irish-speakers on Facebook. Maybe you can find someone there?
Yes, I would like this very much, le do thoil!
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-07-08, 15:37

ILuvEire wrote:So "I like listening to Christy Moore" would be is maith ag éiste le Christy Moore?

Cá bhfuairis an fhoirm sin, "éiste"? That's subjunctive of all things! (E.g. "Go n-éiste do chluasa go haireach le mo ghlór ag impí ort." Psalm 130:2.) You want the verbal noun, éisteacht. And that ag has no business there--this isn't a progressive construction. Mar sin de: Is maith liom éisteacht le Christy Moore.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Íde

Postby Íde » 2011-07-14, 23:23

There's a few other changes I would make...

Is maith liom éisteacht le Christy Moore
isn't really natural. The correct structure would be 'is maith liom (a) bheith ag éisteacht le Christy Moore'.

Here is how I personally would translate your little passage:

Dia duit! Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú? Tyler is ainm dom. Tá mé ag foghlaim Fraincise agus Gaeilge le linn an tsamhraidh [I take it it's just this summer you're referring to? If it's something you do habitually every summer, you'd need to use 'bím' instead of 'tá mé'.] Tá toitín i mo bhéal, agus tá leabhar i mo lámh [I'd actually favour the old dative form, 'láimh', here - just personal preference - however, it no longer exists in standard Irish]. Tá mé ag éisteacht / Éistim / Is maith liom a bheith ag éisteacht le Christy Moore. Is maith liom Christy Moore. Is maith liom a bheith ag scríobh [or, 'tá dúil agam i scríbhneoireacht']. Tá cat agam--tá sí ramhar, ach tá mé an-cheanúil uirthi mar sin féin.

To answer your questions, I'd recommend the following...

'Dar liom féin gur tír álainn í Éire.' Or 'sílim / ceapaim gur tír álainn í Éire'.

my favourite thing = an rud is fearr liom
'Is é dearg an dath is fearr liom.'

Coinnigh ort leis an Ghaeilge agus go n-éirí go geal leat! [Keep up the Irish and the best of luck!]
Tá mé mar atá mé, agus ní fhuil mé gan locht. An té atá saor, caitheadh sé cloch.

(Only kidding... please feel free to correct me anytime!)

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2013-05-13, 17:42

Dia daoibh, y'all.

Irish grammar is still regularly kicking my ass and I have a question. I was trying to say "I should have guessed." "Should" as an auxiliary verb is usually ba cheart do, so "I should guess" would be ba cheart dom meas (or maybe tomhas? My dictionary gives them both for "guess" and it's a little ambiguous as to what the difference between the two is). But, from what I understand about the copula, ba is used for both the conditional and the past, so would "I should have guessed" look the same as "I should guess"?

For context, it's in response to Ciarán here. I wanted to respond to his saying that the series was on BBC and not the History Channel. Because, duh, of course it's not a shitty History Channel documentary, he said it was good :P
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-05-13, 18:02

ILuvEire wrote:Irish grammar is still regularly kicking my ass and I have a question. I was trying to say "I should have guessed." "Should" as an auxiliary verb is usually ba cheart do, so "I should guess" would be ba cheart dom meas (or maybe tomhas? My dictionary gives them both for "guess" and it's a little ambiguous as to what the difference between the two is). But, from what I understand about the copula, ba is used for both the conditional and the past, so would "I should have guessed" look the same as "I should guess"?

In a word, yes. Just remember that Irish has no perfect tense and no pluperfect, only a simple past.

Also, ceart can be used with the non-past as well as the past form of the copula in this construction, e.g. Is ceart duit dul d'á fhéachaint. "You should go see him." But ba cheart is certainly more common.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2013-05-14, 2:43

Ah okay, frabjous, go raibh maith agat.

Return to “Celtic Languages”