Welsh folk songs - questions

Moderator:kevin

hajoseszter
Welsh folk songs - questions

Postby hajoseszter » 2020-12-07, 12:51

Here's for now one called Y gwŷdd. I've found firstly a version with lyrics (corrections would be warmly welcomed), and found two translations (second one is not full). Why are there so many differencies? How can it be translated then?
Sung by Ffynnon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-jL2tXrFc

Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation 1#:
► Show Spoiler

Translation 2# (first verse only):
► Show Spoiler

And the main reason why I am writing is that I've found another version sung by Julie Murphy - with a slightly different lyrics. Could you please provide me that lyrics and add translation for it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zngVWm6lmlg

One more thing: in the comments (of the Ffynnon version) it is mentioned that in this song /"sg" is pronounced "shg" in the words "gwisg" (dress) and "disgwyl" (expect) - because of the influence of the preceding vowel "i"/ - I've learnt a bit of Welsh earlier but this was new for me. Is this a rule?

Thank you!

linguoboy

Re: Welsh folk songs - questions

Postby linguoboy » 2021-03-31, 13:45

hajoseszter wrote:Why are there so many differencies?

That's the nature of folk music. Many of these songs weren't written down until relatively recently. They were learned orally and different performers introduced changes (either accidentally or because they thought it sounded better).

hajoseszter wrote:One more thing: in the comments (of the Ffynnon version) it is mentioned that in this song /"sg" is pronounced "shg" in the words "gwisg" (dress) and "disgwyl" (expect) - because of the influence of the preceding vowel "i"/ - I've learnt a bit of Welsh earlier but this was new for me. Is this a rule?

It's rule in the southernmost varieties (Dyfedeg and Gwenhwyseg).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

hajoseszter

Re: Welsh folk songs - questions

Postby hajoseszter » 2021-04-22, 7:56

Thanks for you reply.

With this question (Why are there so many differencies?) I tried to ask about the translations. For me these two questions belongs together: Why are there so many differencies? How can it be translated then?
And I've added two translations above - could you help me to translate the text for me maybe?

And could you help me with the lyrics and translations of the version sung by Julie Murphy also in the first post?

Return to “Celtic Languages”