Mapudungun

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Mapudungun

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-04-29, 21:33

Aha! This entry from the Spanish edition of Wiktionary explains the word amuayu! So amun means 'I go', amuan means 'I will go', amuyu means 'the two of us go', and amuayu means 'the two of us will go'.

This blog post says that the word for 'who' in some region(s?) is [iˈŋi] - or is that a mistake and should that be [iˈɲi]? - rather than [iˈnej] (or even [iˈɲej]! This is like the whole [laˈmwen] ~ [lamˈŋjen] ~ [lamˈŋen] deal).

Oh! Apparently, /puel/ means 'east'! :o That explains where "Puelche" comes from, as the Puelche live east of the Andes.

And that concludes today's lesson. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-21, 3:53

west = [ˈŋulu]

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-12-21, 7:18

vijayjohn wrote:This blog post says that the word for 'who' in some region(s?) is [iˈŋi] - or is that a mistake and should that be [iˈɲi]? - rather than [iˈnej] (or even [iˈɲej]! This is like the whole [laˈmwen] ~ [lamˈŋjen] ~ [lamˈŋen] deal).

Not sure if you are still interested, but this made me think of the videos on the Kimeltuwe Youtube channel and they have one about the pronunciation of this sound, with the word lamngen /lamɲen/ as one of the examples. There are different dialects but in any case I think that the sound that follows m is always a single consonant (or should be), in each of the dialects, not a separate /n/ or /ˈŋ/ and /j/. So it should not be [lamˈŋjen].
But then I have also seen it spelled lamñen and lamguen along with lamngen and heard it pronounced different ways. :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=XmBjgNP95r0&feature=youtu.be

You might be interested in Kimeltuwe's other videos for Mapudungun:
Kimeltuwe, Materiales de Mapudungun

A song in Mapudungun (somewhere, I might still have the lyrics written out and the translation, but I'm not sure whether or not I can find it; would you be interested? I can't promise but if you'd be interested, I can look for it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQQmdGa8wM

vijayjohn wrote:Oh! Apparently, /puel/ means 'east'! :o That explains where "Puelche" comes from, as the Puelche live east of the Andes.

vijayjohn wrote:west = [ˈŋulu]

Puelche = people of the east
Nguluche = people of the west
Huilliche = people of the south
Picunche = people of the north
Mapuche = people of the earth
Tehuelche = brave people
Pehuenche = people who eat pewen

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-26, 10:20

Thanks! In this video, they write lamngien: https://youtu.be/ZVr1ZuR3_jQ?t=313.
Linguaphile wrote:A song in Mapudungun (somewhere, I might still have the lyrics written out and the translation, but I'm not sure whether or not I can find it; would you be interested? I can't promise but if you'd be interested, I can look for it.)

Yep!

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-12-27, 5:11

vijayjohn wrote:Thanks! In this video, they write lamngien: https://youtu.be/ZVr1ZuR3_jQ?t=313.
Linguaphile wrote:A song in Mapudungun (somewhere, I might still have the lyrics written out and the translation, but I'm not sure whether or not I can find it; would you be interested? I can't promise but if you'd be interested, I can look for it.)

Yep!

It might be a few days. I looked in the place I thought it might be, and it wasn't. I know other places to look for it but they aren't as easy to get to. I'll post it when I find it. I thought about just trying to write it out and see if I could remember enough, but the discussions about orthography have me wondering what orthography was used, so now I really want to find it.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-01-09, 1:12

vijayjohn wrote:

Yep!

I guess that was more than a few days, but here it is. These are the lyrics and translation as written by the singers. The orthography is heavily influenced by Spanish and the translation appears to be approximate to convey the meaning. The lyrics were written more than 30 years ago by "an exiled Mapuche leader" who asked the band to set the poem to music, or at least this is what the notes say.
(Hopefully I haven't made errors in the lyrics, it was a bit difficult to read.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQQmdGa8wM

Tani tani Mapuche-ngen,
tani tani Mapuche-ngen
auca che-lepain.
Tani tani Mapuche-ngen,
tani tani Mapuche-ngen
auca che-lepain.

Tani tani Mapuche-ngen,
tani tani Mapuche-ngen,
petu newen ngein.
Tani tani Mapuche-ngen,
tani tani Mapuche-ngen,