ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ/Kalaallisut numbers

Gormur
ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ/Kalaallisut numbers

Postby Gormur » 2020-11-25, 22:52

I thought maybe there was a megathread for Inuktitut and/or Kalaallisut (Greenlandic), but maybe somebody can lead me in the right direction. I want to know of a source that teaches numbers, like even large numbers. I have been watching youtube videos on this but I can't figure out why whenever I see interviews on the news in Canada, the speakers use English numbers; leaving me frustrated. I haven't had as much access to Kalaallisut news so I don't know what they use but I am curious about that, too
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Linguaphile

Re: ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ/Kalaallisut numbers

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-11-26, 2:14

Gormur wrote:I thought maybe there was a megathread for Inuktitut and/or Kalaallisut (Greenlandic), but maybe somebody can lead me in the right direction. I want to know of a source that teaches numbers, like even large numbers. I have been watching youtube videos on this but I can't figure out why whenever I see interviews on the news in Canada, the speakers use English numbers; leaving me frustrated. I haven't had as much access to Kalaallisut news so I don't know what they use but I am curious about that, too

Native Kalaallisut numbers are generally used for 1-12 and Danish-based loans generally used above that.
This page has some interesting information about the native vigesimal system and this page focuses on the usage of numbers as they are actually used (i.e. with the Danish-based loans) in various contexts.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”