ceid donn Powwow 2018 thread

ceid donn
ceid donn Powwow 2018 thread

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-01, 19:02

So for this Powwow I will be working on Ojibwe.

(oj)

This morning I worked Ojibwe. Aside from numbers and some greetings, I am an absolute beginner with Ojibwe

Words from the first unit in the Michipicoten First Nation Ojibwe Memrise course:

► Show Spoiler

Because of how the Memrise course is laid out, I may do the units in a different order as fitting my studies rather than doing the Memrise course linearly.

The word boozhoo seems to have some misunderstanding surrounding it. From its pronunciation and similar usage, it is understandable than some people might liken it to the French bonjour, but it seems that has led to people misappropriating boozhoo as a derivation of bonjour. From this blog post, the word boozhoo predated any contact with French settlers, as it derives from an old word for the main character found in the Ojibwe creation stories.

A man from Nigigoonsiminikaaning and a woman from Naotkamegwanning share that the central character (and original spirit) in all our oldest stories is Nanaboozhoo (or “Waynaboozhoo”).

In the stories told, it is said that after he helped name the animals and plants, he left – but because he was also a trickster, he said he would come back and return to the People – but he would not say what he would look like.

No one would know. Is going to look like you? Like Me? Like a bird? He said we wouldn’t know what he was going to look like. Also, certain people have certain gifts that other may acknowledge, but because humility is important, they don’t talk about them.

Is He/She with these gifts Nanaboozhoo returned? So that story stayed with the people for generations upon generations and it took shape was a question and greeting early-on, “Giin inna Nanaboozhoo?” or “Giin inna Waynaboozhoo?” (Are you Nanaboozhoo? Are you Waynaboozhoo?).

It became a greeting over time and during the Westward migration – and over time “Giin inna Nanaboozhoo?” was shortened to “Boozhoo.”

According to this second video in the Let's Start Ojibwe series, the shortening of nanaboozhoo may have been partly due to French settlers misunderstanding it as bonjour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6v-8QCU-Cw

From this video:

Common greeting: Aaniin/Aanii - understood as "Hello" but lit. I see your light

Traditional greeting: Nanaboozhoo or just boozhoo - used traditionally that served as a way to recognize others who shared the Anishinaabeg culture

Ceremonial introductions:

______ ndizhnikaas - _____ I am called

______ doden niinda'aw - _____ clan I belong

______ n'doonjibaa - _____ community I belong

Farewell:

Baamaapii miinwass kaawaabmin

Baamaapii - later, after a while
miinwaas - again
kaawaabmin - I see you

Obviously this is similar to the form taught in the Memrise course, baamaa pii giga-waabamia (will see you later).
Last edited by ceid donn on 2018-11-04, 3:02, edited 1 time in total.

ceid donn

Re: ceid donn Powwow 2018 thread

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-02, 2:32

Last edited by ceid donn on 2018-11-04, 3:01, edited 1 time in total.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-03, 23:44

(oj)

Question words (interrogative pronouns)---it seems there can be many variations of mostof these. I will only type a few. Sources: Ojibwe,net, Michipicoten First Nation Ojibwe Memrise course, Let's Start Ojibwe You Tube series and The Ojibwe People's Dictionary.

awenen/awenesh - who (also: wenen, wenesh)

awegonen/awegonesh - what (also: wegonen, wegonesh)

aaniin apii - when (also: aaniish pii, wenesh pii, aanapii. etc.)

aandi - where (also: aaniindi, aapiish, aaniipiish, etc.)

aaniin dash - why (also: wegonen (+ -onji-), aaniin, etc.)

aaniin/aaniish - how

aaniin minik - how many, how much

Also:

ina - this is a question marker that is used to turn a sentence into a Yes/No question

Ceid Donn nindizhinikaaz - Ceid Donn I am called, my name is Ceid Donn
Ceid Donn ina gidizhinikaaz? - Are you called Ceid Donn? Is your name Ceid Donn?

Uses of aaniin/aaniish in basic conversation:

aaniin ezhi-ayaayan? - how are you
aaniin ezhinikaazoyan? - what is your name (how are you called?)
aaniish ezhinikaadeg? - what is it called (how is it called)
aaniin ezhiwebak? - what is the weather like? (how is it happening?)
aaniin ezhiwebak agawajiing? - what is the weather like outside? (how is it happening outside?)

Aaniin used as a greeting also just means "hello."

I'm not at all confused by this. Nope. Not at all. :lol:

Hadronic

Postby Hadronic » 2018-11-03, 23:52

I know it's still in beta, but I am very disappointed by the quality of the Navajo course on Duolingo. It is riddled with spelling errors and various grammatical inaccuracies / unidiomacies, like díí for 4 instead of dį́į́ʼ, shimasaní for my grandmother instead of shimásání, shi atsilí bee hólǫ́ instead of [shí] shitsilí hólǫ́.... like in almost every other word or sentence.

In the list of words you mentioned, the misspellings are:
- táłʼidgo doołʼizh > tátłʼidgo dootłʼizh
- shimá yazhí > shimá yázhí
- ánaaíʼ > ánaaí

Happy learning!
(fr) native, (en) fluent, (he) advanced, (nv) learning

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-11-04, 3:00

:roll:

No worries, dude, because I'm dropping Navajo for my Powwow.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”