Algic Languages Study Group

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Algic Languages Study Group

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-15, 15:30

I'm still inclined to stick with Seneca. :P
Lur wrote:I wonder which of Eastern Algonquian has the most resources in general.

Definitely the language I'm studying (I guess the PC term for it is Mi'kmaq, which has always been odd to me because that's the name of the people, not really the language AFAIK). In fact, in stark contrast to all its relatives, it is one of the most widely spoken indigenous languages there is in the Americas.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-07-21, 18:49

Hmmm! Noted for the future.

I kinda want to get a hang of course materials for the whole Cree continuum, because I mostly have grammars and I'm really bad with that. Problem is, I'm not very liquid atm
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2018-07-22, 18:48

I have David Costas' treatise on Miami-Illinois… It's quite exhaustive. And I've been looking through it. It doesn't seem like I could gain a conversational level of knowledge from it, but I could gain a savant-like knowledge of its phonology and morphology. :D Wanna know what language it reminds me of? Sámi.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-07-24, 15:22

Sámi? Interesting.

By the way, what is the "good" Micmaq ortography, if there's such a thing?
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-30, 3:42

I don't know whether this is the best or anything, but I just use the one the Aboriginal Language Initiative uses.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-07-30, 4:02

That is the site that was recommended to me by Mi' kmaq that I spoke to when I was in Nova Scotia a while back. Most of what I know of the Mi'kmaq language is from that site, including their version of O Canada (I can sing O Canada in three languages--none of which are English--and I don't know more than one verse of my own country's anthem. :lol: ). It's an old site but still good.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-06, 23:32

I actually never learned the Canadian anthem from them or anyone else, but I did learn some of their other songs. I really like that course. I discovered it through the Omniglot blog where one time, Simon Ager posted the dialogue about breakfast in one audio file and challenged us to guess what language it was in. When he wrote out what everything meant, I was surprised at how easy it was to learn even though I'd never even touched an indigenous language of the Americas before while studying languages on my own.

Does anybody want to go through that course then? I wouldn't mind going through it again. I'm always trying to make sure I remember stuff from it anyway, and it's fun, I swear! :)

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”