25%
I have another idea
13%

Total votes: 8

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Subforum Split?

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-23, 23:33

I didn't think you were thinking of getting rid of the NAIL forum altogether. I don't think that's even possible.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-23, 23:37

I even said in my first post we wouldn't be getting rid of it!

Splitting thing off maybe, but not getting rid of it.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-03-24, 0:08

księżycowy wrote:I even said in my first post we wouldn't be getting rid of it!

I see now... and I remember I read it. But in the poll the question is: "Would you want to see this Subforum split up?", so I (and other users) thought that the general forum would have been deleted.
I am for splitting up and mantaining the general NAIL forum.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-24, 0:11

I apologise for not being clear enough in my poll question.

We can give it another go if anyone wants.
Or we can just talk it out.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-24, 0:32

It looks like we're already talking it out! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-24, 0:36

Yes, but I was offering a redo to the poll as we talk it out if anyone wants. :P

I'm happy enough with just talking it out though.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-24, 4:04

Oh! Well, I certainly have nothing against a redo of this poll. :whistle: Although idk, is it unfair to everyone else who already voted? Does this mean they have to vote again to be counted??

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-24, 10:22

I might be able to just add some more time. I'm not sure.

I've never tried to edit a completed poll.

Shall we find out? :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-24, 10:29

Ok, I just turned the time onto "forever" basically. I can turn it off again anytime.

But for now voting is open again. And those of you who would like to change your vote can do so as well.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-25, 3:56

I like your idea as proposed but am going to tentatively suggest also making subforums for the following since they each have as many living members as or more living members than Eskimo-Aleut:

Muskogean
Pomoan
Tanoan
Utian
Uto-Aztecan
Wakashan
Yuman-Cochimi

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-03-25, 10:51

vijayjohn wrote:I am going to tentatively suggest also making subforums for the following since they each have as many living members as or more living members than Eskimo-Aleut

Unless with 'living members' you mean 'active UL members', the numbers of speakers a language has doesn't really matter. If that was a criterion, we should have a separate forum for many of the Chinese languages, and not even a general forum for most of the languages you're currently discussing. All the speakers in the world are not going to make a forum active if they're not members of that forum.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-25, 12:23

Oddly enough, I'm sorta with Aurinia here.

I personally think the critiria should be based on user interest. Are there people interested in any of these language families?

Out of the ones you suggest, I'd say the only three that have a possibility of becoming forums ATM are Uto-Aztec, Muskogean, and Wakashan.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-25, 16:18

I meant living languages.

I was listing language families and mentioned the members of those families. The members of a language family are languages.

Aurinĭa, next time you want to shoot down someone's suggestion, might I suggest asking what they meant first instead of coming out of nowhere and horrifying them for no reason by making completely unfounded assumptions about what they were saying?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-25, 16:44

I can't speak for Aurinia (nor would I try), and I think that your comments were mainly directed at her, but I'll say that I understood you meant languages by "members."

I was saying I think it's better to go off member (as in forum member) interest rather than the number of language speakers.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-25, 16:53

księżycowy wrote:I think that your comments were mainly directed at her

Yes, they were. But of course I did want to make sure that was clear to everyone.
I was saying I think it's better to go off member (as in forum member) interest rather than the number of language speakers.

And that's fine. It's just a separate discussion from what I'm saying to Aurinĭa here, so I'm afraid I'll have to get back to you later on that. Especially since I'm still pretty disturbed by how she just responded to what I said.

I think I'll have something to eat. Maybe that will help me calm down some more.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2018-03-25, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-25, 16:55

Which is fine. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-25, 19:30

Okay, so I'm interested in Uto-Aztecan and Muskogean on some level, at least, and maybe also Tanoan. Uto-Aztecan is a huge family and includes Shoshone and Nahuatl, both of which seem to have at least historically been somewhat popular on this forum (Nahuatl especially seems popular). Two of the Native American languages spoken on reservations here in Texas today are a Muskogean language and a Tanoan language. I will admit I'm probably less interested in Pomoan, Utian, Wakashan, and Yuman-Cochimi.

In any case, I think I get what you're saying, księżycowy. The language families you listed are probably the most popular. I'm a little concerned that this may not be a standard that's applicable to e.g. CSAILs and Papuan languages, though.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-25, 19:41

Right. Things get a little muddy when we try to apply something across the whole forum.

I'm open to other ideas and suggestions, as always. All I can say with any certainty is that at the moment I think interest is the way to go.

Things that do not have any interest can get in bigger groupings (linguistic or otherwise), and once they start getting a certain level of interest they can be "broken off." Obviously that would need to be hashed out before hand though, if we went with this type of setup.

I'm not sure I'm on board with number of language speakers as our determining factor.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-25, 20:00

Which I never suggested anyway, except in cases where there are zero speakers left. :P

By the way, I've asked this question before, but I'd like to ask again because I'm not very clear on it: What do we do about languages that are spoken on both sides of the US-Mexico border? Do they go into the NAIL forum or the CSAIL forum? Does it depend on which side of the border happens to have more speakers, or some other consideration?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-25, 20:07

I was thinking of the same thing. The Uto-Aztec language family is a perfect example of this. It's spread out over the U.S. Southwest and Mexico.

It's a perfect example, in my opinion, as to why linguistic groupings are better than geographic ones. It makes a lot more sense for all the members of a language family to be in the same subforum, doesn't it?

As it stands, I'd need to talk about Shoshone in the NAIL forum here, and Nahuatl in the CSAIL forum (supposing I was learning them, for the sake of argument). People who where interested in both (or even just general Uto-Aztec studies) would need to check both forums.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”