"ll" sound in Greenlandic

Irusia
Posts: 498
Joined: 2015-05-10, 12:24
Real Name: Ira
Gender: female
Country: UA Ukraine (Україна)

"ll" sound in Greenlandic

Postby Irusia » 2016-02-21, 16:36

How to pronounce it?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
Goals (until the end of August):
(en) (et) (es) C1 (tl) (pt-BR) B1
Kalaallisut Qırımtatar tili Karaj tili Leware kääñ (my conlang)

User avatar
TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2422
Joined: 2010-12-23, 11:49
Real Name: Max
Gender: male
Location: Evanston, IL
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: "ll" sound in Greenlandic

Postby TheStrayCat » 2016-02-21, 21:03

According to Wikipedia, it's [ɬ] (Voiceless alveolar lateral fricative), not a very common sound in European languages.

Irusia
Posts: 498
Joined: 2015-05-10, 12:24
Real Name: Ira
Gender: female
Country: UA Ukraine (Україна)

Re: "ll" sound in Greenlandic

Postby Irusia » 2016-02-21, 21:16

TheStrayCat wrote:Voiceless alveolar lateral fricative

This term is meaningless to me. :)
Can you give more practical explanation?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
Goals (until the end of August):
(en) (et) (es) C1 (tl) (pt-BR) B1
Kalaallisut Qırımtatar tili Karaj tili Leware kääñ (my conlang)

Irusia
Posts: 498
Joined: 2015-05-10, 12:24
Real Name: Ira
Gender: female
Country: UA Ukraine (Україна)

Re: "ll" sound in Greenlandic

Postby Irusia » 2016-02-21, 21:18

Ти з України? Я спочатку й не помітила.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
Goals (until the end of August):
(en) (et) (es) C1 (tl) (pt-BR) B1
Kalaallisut Qırımtatar tili Karaj tili Leware kääñ (my conlang)

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 20351
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: "ll" sound in Greenlandic

Postby linguoboy » 2016-02-21, 21:25

Irusia wrote:
TheStrayCat wrote:Voiceless alveolar lateral fricative

This term is meaningless to me. :)
Can you give more practical explanation?

1. Put your tongue in position for pronouncing the "light" l-sound (i.e. like the first l in little, not the last).
2. Start blowing air out like you would for h, but without taking your tongue from that position. (You'll have to exaggerate this at first to get the right effect; don't be afraid of spitting a little!)
3. You should feel your tongue vibrate as the air rushes out to one side. When that happens, you're making the [ɬ] sound.

Welsh ll is the exact same sound. So if this doesn't help you, search YouTube for tutorials on pronouncing Welsh ll and follow their instructions.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Irusia
Posts: 498
Joined: 2015-05-10, 12:24
Real Name: Ira
Gender: female
Country: UA Ukraine (Україна)

Re: "ll" sound in Greenlandic

Postby Irusia » 2016-02-21, 21:28

linguoboy wrote:
Irusia wrote:
TheStrayCat wrote:Voiceless alveolar lateral fricative

This term is meaningless to me. :)
Can you give more practical explanation?

1. Put your tongue in position for pronouncing the "light" l-sound (i.e. like the first l in little, not the last).
2. Start blowing air out like you would for h, but without taking your tongue from that position. (You'll have to exaggerate this at first to get the right effect; don't be afraid of spitting a little!)
3. You should feel your tongue vibrate as the air rushes out to one side. When that happens, you're making the [ɬ] sound.

Welsh ll is the exact same sound. So if this doesn't help you, search YouTube for tutorials on pronouncing Welsh ll and follow their instructions.

Thank you! I'll try.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
Goals (until the end of August):
(en) (et) (es) C1 (tl) (pt-BR) B1
Kalaallisut Qırımtatar tili Karaj tili Leware kääñ (my conlang)

User avatar
TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2422
Joined: 2010-12-23, 11:49
Real Name: Max
Gender: male
Location: Evanston, IL
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: "ll" sound in Greenlandic

Postby TheStrayCat » 2016-02-21, 22:15

Oh, I linked the Wikipedia article about the language, but forgot to link the page about the sound itself. Actually, here you can listen to a sample of this sound. It might also be easier to make sense of it if you try to reproduce the corresponding affricate which ends in the same sound. :)

Irusia
Posts: 498
Joined: 2015-05-10, 12:24
Real Name: Ira
Gender: female
Country: UA Ukraine (Україна)

Re: "ll" sound in Greenlandic

Postby Irusia » 2017-07-14, 18:34

TheStrayCat wrote:Oh, I linked the Wikipedia article about the language, but forgot to link the page about the sound itself. Actually, here you can listen to a sample of this sound. It might also be easier to make sense of it if you try to reproduce the corresponding affricate which ends in the same sound. :)

Дякую!
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
Goals (until the end of August):
(en) (et) (es) C1 (tl) (pt-BR) B1
Kalaallisut Qırımtatar tili Karaj tili Leware kääñ (my conlang)


Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest