Help converting the old Greenlandic orthography to the new system?

himinninn
Help converting the old Greenlandic orthography to the new system?

Postby himinninn » 2015-07-09, 19:44

Hello! I've been really lucky to find a cheap copy of Grønlandsk for begyndere - I've had it for less than 24 hours and I'm completely in love with it already. :-D So far my only 'issue' with the book, which really isn't that much of a problem, if I'm honest, is its use of the old orthography. The only differences I've noticed so far are that circumflex accents mark doubled vowels in the old Kleinschmidt method and acute accents were used to show that the following consonant was doubled, as well as the use of the 'kra' (ĸ) in place of the letter 'q'.

Overall, converting the vocabulary, readings and exercises from the book to the new writing system has been pretty simple, but I'd just like to make sure I'm doing it correctly! I've found an online tool which converts from the Kleinschmidt orthography to the modern orthography, but I'm always a bit wary of automatic things because some irregularities can always slip through! I always find it's safest to ask someone's opinion.

So, underneath I have a few random phrases from the first chapters of the books in the Kleinschmidt orthography used in the book, together with my attempt at converting it to the modern system. If anybody knows about Greenlandic spelling, could you please look it over, just so I know there aren't any conversion patterns I've missed? Especially since some of the consonant clusters seem a little out of place, although I can't say I've had a huge exposure to written Greenlandic! I'd appreciate it very much if someone could help. :)

kíkut iserpat? atâtat iserput.
kikkut iserpat? ataatat iserput.
mato ajorpoĸ. ajorpa? âp, ajorpoĸ.
mato ajorpoq. ajorpa? aap, ajorpoq.
sanassoĸ piniartordlo aníput.
sanassoq piniartordlo anipput.
atâta ĸingmitdlo ĸasúput.
ataata qingmitdlo qasupput.
arnat kivfardlo sanápat? nâmik, inerput.
arnat kivfardlo sanappat? naamik, inerput.
suna ungasigpa? kangerdluk ungaisigpoĸ.
suna ungasigpa? kangerdluk ungaisigpoq.
atuarfik angivoĸ pisinarfigdle mikivoĸ.
atuarfik angivoq pisinarfigdle mikivoq.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Help converting the old Greenlandic orthography to the new system?

Postby aaakknu » 2016-05-07, 14:49

himinninn wrote:
sanassoĸ piniartordlo aníput.
sanassoq piniartordlo anipput.

sanassoq piniartorlu anipput.
himinninn wrote:atâta ĸingmitdlo ĸasúput.
ataata qingmitdlo qasupput.

ataata qimmillu qasupput.
himinninn wrote:arnat kivfardlo sanápat? nâmik, inerput.
arnat kivfardlo sanappat? naamik, inerput.

arnat kiffarlu sanappat?
himinninn wrote:suna ungasigpa? kangerdluk ungaisigpoĸ.
suna ungasigpa? kangerdluk ungaisigpoq.

suna ungasippa? kangerluk ungaasippoq.
himinninn wrote:atuarfik angivoĸ pisinarfigdle mikivoĸ.
atuarfik angivoq pisinarfigdle mikivoq.

atuarfik angivoq pisinarfilli mikivoq.

I tried to help, although I'm not completely sure if it is correct.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

marmorbleikur

Re: Help converting the old Greenlandic orthography to the new system?

Postby marmorbleikur » 2016-07-25, 12:40

Irusia got most of them, but here are some final small corrections:

sanassoq piniartordlo anipput -> sanasoq piniartorlu anipput

A doubled S turns into a singular S, except when it's a part of some consonant clusters (eg. gss -> ss)

kangerdluk ungaisigpoĸ -> kangerluk ungasippoq (pretty sure this is a type in the original post; ungasigpoĸ is how it should be spelled)

Overall, some general patterns for old->new conversion are:

â - vowels with circumflex accents become doubled: atâta -> ataata, âp -> aap
á - vowels with acute accents double the next consonant: kíkut -> kikkkkut, sanápat -> sanappat
ãà - vowels with a tilde or grave accent (I believe the two can be used interchangeably) double both the vowel and the following consonant: ãma / àma -> aamma, mãnákut / mànákut -> maannakkut
ae ai au - almost always change to aa: soraerpoĸ -> soraarpoq, aitsât -> aatsaat, pujortaut -> pujortaat, but nerivai -> nerivai
o e - word-final o changes to u and word-final e changes to i: matu -> mato, ine -> ini
gdl tdl vdl - changes to ll: pisinarfigdle -> pisiniarfilli, autdlarpoĸ -> aallarpoq, uvdlume -> ullumi
gp - changes to pp: sinigpoĸ -> sinippoq
gs gss vs - changes to ss: agsut -> assut, aĸigsseĸ -> aqisseq, ilivse -> ilissi
gt - changes to tt: tugto -> tuttu
ngm - changes to mm: ĸingmeĸ -> qimmeq
ngn - changes to nn: pisiniarfingni -> pisiniarfinni
rdl - changes to rl: kangerdluk -> kangerluk
rss - changes to rs: Narssaĸ -> Narsaq
ss - changes to s: sanassoĸ -> sanasoq
vf - changes to ff: kivfaĸ -> kiffaq
- changes to qq: avĸusineĸ -> aqqusineq
ĸ - changes to q: ĸasúput -> qasupput

I'm sure there are more, and there will always be exceptions, but this should be a good starting point for anyone who uses older resources.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”