Powwow Story 2012

księżycowy

Powwow Story 2012

Postby księżycowy » 2012-11-06, 15:18

You guys are getting a bonus! The Powwow story is back this year!
I'll be going solo and doing an Arapaho story this time.

Here is the story I've selected for this year:

Nihoo3oo and the Ducks
Nehe' nihoo3oo he'ihbetoohee nuhu' siisiikou'uu. "Wohei," hee3oohok nuhu' siisiikou'uu, "heetbetoohe3enee. Hiikoot heetno'uusi'oonee. Heetbetoohe3enee. Tooniikoonookut, heetniinece'," hee3oohok. Ne'cesisiniibei'it. Neniiboonoot. "Hoei'ei nei'ei heyeiyei'i koo'eiyeih; tooniikoonookut heetniinece'." Ceeyowcowohnooni3i', he'ih'i3kuu3ee, he'ihtebe'eikuu3ee. Ceexo'on he'ihcowohwoohnin, he'ih'i3kuu3ee, tebe'eikuu3ee. Ne'nii'ehceibi'tou'ut. 'Oh niiseiht, he'ih'uu3e', nookoo3 he'ihbeteee. He'ihkoxo'koonook. He'ne'noohowoot niistooni3 nehe' nihoo3oo. "'Oeiii tokohu'! Heetnoo'ooheino'!" He'ne'nehbiscesisih'ohu3i'. Noh ne'nih'iisiini. He'ne'nih'iisee'inoneit nih'iisciini'itoot nehe' nihoo3oo. Nih'iibi'tebe'eikuu3oot. Noh nee'eesoo' nuhu' hoo3itoo.

I'm not exactly sure what my pace will be but somewhere in the neighborhood of 1~2 sentences a week. I have three months to finish this after all. :P
I'll start the presentation later this week. :D

handsomenavajo01

Re: Powwow Story 2012

Postby handsomenavajo01 » 2012-11-21, 1:03

That sounds very awesome!
’Ayóo shaa dzólní, ’aoo’, t’áá íídą́ą́’ shił bééhózin éí lá biniinaa ’at’ééké chxǫǫ́h dashinízin. T’óó ’ádíshní! ;)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-11-22, 18:01

And as promised, the first few sentences:
Nehe' Nihoo3oo he'ihbetoohee nuhu' siisiikou'uu. "Wohei," hee3oohok nuhu' siisiikou'uu, "heetbetoohe3enee. Hiikoot heetno'uusi'oonee."

Nihoo3oo made (these) ducks dance. "Wohei," he said to these ducks, "I will make you dance. You (must) close your eyes."

nehe' - this
Nihoo3oo -(personal name)
he'ihbetoohee - made them dance (he'ih "past"; betooh "make s.o. dance"; ee "them(?)*")
nuhu' - these
siisiikou'uu - ducks
wohei - hard to define; "well, then, so, ok"
hee3oohok - he said to them (hee3 "to say to s.o.; oo "3rd/4th person actor"; hok "3rd/4 person recipient (?)*")
heetbetoohe3enee - I will make you (pl) dance (heet "future"; betooh "make s.o. dance"; e3e "1st person actor"; nee "2nd pl recipient")
hiikoot - also, too, in addition (part)
heetno'uusi'oonee - you will close your eyes (heet; no'uusi'oo "to close one's eyes"; nee (2nd pl person)

*I'm unsure off these forms. I can't find them in any of my books.

Sorry about the format, I'm working off my phone.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-12-25, 13:21

Sorry for the delay guys.

"Heetbetoohe3enee. Tooniikoonookut, heetniinece'," hee3oohok. Ne'cesisiniibei'it. Neniiboonoot. "Hoei'ei nei'ei heyeiyei'i koo'eiyeih; tooniikoonookut heetniinece'."

"I'm going to make you dance. Whoever opens his eyes, he will die," he said to them. He then started singing. He sang for them: "hoei'ei nei'ei heyeiyei'i koo'eiyeih; whoever opens his eyes will die."

(The first part of the song is just nonsensical filler)

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2012-12-27, 15:27

I've tried to find a short story in Montana Salish or Kalispel, but all of them are already translated into English.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-12-28, 21:59

Yeah, no worries. Ultimately the idea is to create a story (or some type of prose or lyric) and it would be nice to break it down like I do the Powwow story, but I'm not strict. :P

And I've run into that problem with other NAILs, it can be hard to find something to do, depending on the language. If I continue with Lushootseed (which at the moment I plan to) I know I can do some good stuff with that in a Powwow to come.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”