Tohono O'odham

Lauren

Tohono O'odham

Postby Lauren » 2012-09-12, 6:13

Here I will try to post things about Tohono O'odham as I learn it.I'm in love with O'odham. Just by browsing my grammar book and dictionary I can already build sentences, which is a lot of fun. O'odham has very interesting grammar, fun but simple in comparison to most NAILs.

The hardest part of Tohono O'odham is the plurals of nouns and verbs. It seems that most are formed by reduplicating the first syllable of the word, sometimes with the loss of a vowel, but that is not always the case. Don't forget that all words must start with a consonant, so if there's a vowel first, a glottal stop is implied before it.

SingularPlural
alia'al
ceojcecoj
cipkancicpkan
cehiacecia
ṣoaksoañ

Their meanings are child, boy, working, girl, and crying respectively.

Although I have posted some sentences around the forum, I have yet to really complete a lesson, so when I do that I'll start posting more here.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Re: Tohono O'odham

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-12, 11:31

Hildakojon wrote:The hardest part of Tohono O'odham is the plurals of nouns and verbs. It seems that most are formed by reduplicating the first syllable of the word, sometimes with the loss of a vowel, but that is not always the case.

Yeah, that's one thing I forgot all about. That should show how long it's been since I fiddled with O'odham. :P

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-09-12, 22:03

Yeah, but unless you have terrible memory, it's not hard to overcome that part of the language. I was going to make my own thread, a log if you will, for Tohono O'odham, but I don't know how to make a language log, or what to write in it... Do you have any pointers?
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-12, 22:19

Well, I have terrible memory. :P
And I'm not really good at making a log either, as my progress with my SAC/WAC should tell you. :silly:

I usually just write up what I'm learning, usually providing some examples, ask questions, post things of interest (see my Aymara or Irish logs, links in my sig), that type of thing.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”