Cherokee Sentence Structure?

Gvhi

Cherokee Sentence Structure?

Postby Gvhi » 2012-08-11, 14:52

I'm trying to learn Cherokee from free websites, and I've learned pronunciation, and some words and all of that, I'm working on memorizing the syllabus, but I'm very confused on the sentence structure. I don't understand how exactly it works, and I haven't found any useful sites. Is it just like English?
To be honest... I haven't really found any sites explaining the structure.
Can someone help me, please?

księżycowy

Re: Cherokee Sentence Structure?

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-11, 15:55

Unfortunately I can't help you too much. My "expertise" at the moment is in Lakhota and Arapaho.

If you can spring for a book, I'd recommend Beginning Cherokee. I have a copy, as well as resources on several other Iroquoian languages, so I'll see if I can get an answer for you.

There aren't too many other people here that know Cherokee (and neither do I really). Mol_Bolom hasn't been around much lately.

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2012-08-12, 0:19

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2012-09-25, 3:52, edited 1 time in total.

Gvhi

Postby Gvhi » 2012-08-13, 0:07

That would be most helpful! Thank you!!

I meant is the sentence structure like the sentence structure in the English language.

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2012-08-13, 3:26

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2012-09-25, 3:52, edited 1 time in total.

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2012-08-26, 6:29

ᏏᏲ.

In response to your question about it being like English and about the sentence structure.

Although Cherokee does not seem to have a structure, it does in a way that is easy to understand. It is the explaining it that makes it difficult, :shock: .

Possibly an easier way to explain the structure of sentences you may see, think of those sentences as containing an awful lot of commas.

ᏔᎵ ᎢᏳᏕᏘᏴᏒ ᏥᎨᏒ ᎠᎩᎪᎲ ᎠᏫ ᎤᎵᏬᏨ. ᎦᏓᏅᏖᎲᏃ ᏏᏊ ᎣᏍᏓ ᏯᎩᎩᏍᏗ.
ta'lsgo iyudetiyvsv tsigesv agigohv ahwi ulihwojv. gadantehvhno sigwu osda yagigisdi.
Two years ago I saw a dead deer, and I wondered if the deer would be still good to eat.

Now, I'll add in commas everywhere there's a slight pause, and in other places to make it more understandable (hopefully).

1. ᏔᎵ ᎢᏳᏕᏘᏴᏒ ᏥᎨᏒ, ᎠᎩᎪᎲ, ᎠᏫ ᎤᎵᏬᏨ, ᎦᏓᏅᏖᎲᏃ, ᏏᏊ ᎣᏍᏓ ᏯᎩᎩᏍᏗ.

Now to generally translate it in a half hazard literal sense.

Two years past, I saw it, deer [that was] dead, and I was thinking, still good I might be able to eat it.

Now I'll translate it to make it more comprehensible, and place words which aren't translated in brackets, (ie. [ and ] ).

It was two years ago, I saw a dead deer, and I thought, would it still be good for me to eat.

Now, with that said, most everything marked by commas can be rearranged.

2. ᏔᎵ ᎢᏳᏕᏘᏴᏒ ᏥᎨᏒ, ᎠᏫ ᎤᎵᏬᏨ, ᎠᎩᎪᎲ, ᎦᏓᏅᏖᎲᏃ, ᏏᏊ ᎣᏍᏓ ᏯᎩᎩᏍᏗ.
3. ᏔᎵ ᎢᏳᏕᏘᏴᏒ ᏥᎨᏒ, ᎠᏫ ᎤᎵᏬᏨ, ᎠᎩᎪᎲ, ᏏᏊᏃ ᎣᏍᏓ ᏯᎩᎩᏍᏗ, ᎦᏓᏅᏖᎲ.
(Note, the last one I had to move the suffix -hno onto sigwu since it translates to either "so", "therefore", or "and".)

Anymore questions, feel free to ask. (I may be more frequent here, hopefully, but if not, you will be able to find me at http://cherokeelessons.com/phpBB3/ ).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-27, 1:10

Thanks for answering for me Mol_Bolom! :D

Mol_Bolom wrote:(I may be more frequent here, hopefully

Hopefully indeed! :yep:

And that is exactly it, as with a lot of the Iroquoian (and Native American languages in general) word order isn't necessarily an issue. Especially when the language is made up of so many verb forms (which would be whole phrases in English).
Looking through my copy of Beginning Cherokee didn't really give much of an answer, but I kind of knew there was no real answer to begin with. :P

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2012-09-14, 5:28

I had made a translation here that would be good for a little Sentence Structure example.

ᎠᏍᎦᏱ ᎠᏣᏔᎩᏍᎩ ᏝᏋ ᏳᏠᏱ ᎠᏣᏗ ᏴᏩᎩᏍᎩ. (asgay atsat-agisgi tlagwv yutlohyi atsadi yvw-agisgi.)

The word agisgi is almost exactly the same as the word "eater" in English. He is an eater, He is a big eater, etc...

This sentence could have been said in many different ways (I thought this was the most...Erm, interesting, heh)

Man fish eater just-not like fish man eater.

ᎠᏣᏗ ᎠᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏍᎦᏯ ᏝᏊ ᏳᏠᏱ ᏴᏫ ᎠᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏣᏗ.
atsadi agisgi asgaya tlagwu yutlohyi yvwi agisgi atsadi.
Fish eater man just-not like human eater fish.

There is one difference, though. Although it could be said like the sentence after this paragraph, it would almost never be said this way.

ᎠᏍᎦᏯ ᎠᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏣᏗ ᏝᏊ ᏳᏠᏱ ᎠᏣᏗ ᎠᎩᏍᎩ ᏴᏫ.
asgaya agisgi atsadi tlagwu yutlohyi atsadi agisgi yvwi.
man eater fish not like fish eater man.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”