FRIEND
kȟolá – man to a man
máške – woman to a woman
okȟólayA – gender neutral, but usually not used as a term of address

ADDRESSING A GENERAL AUDIENCE
mitákuyepi – my relatives

Taken from here

Word of the Day: čhaŋté - n. heart

księżycowy wrote:Great movie, even if only to hear the Lakhota!
A friend has a copy, maybe I'll try watching it sometime soon. That's what really got my into Lakhota after all.

Aye, and I have Atanarjuat as well for Inuktitut. If only someone would make movies with a lot of Quechua and Warlpiri dialogue in them (Just putting it out there, in case you're listening, Universe). :partyhat:
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

księżycowy

Re: NAILC 2011 - Struthiomimus - LKT

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-03, 10:11

Struthiomimus wrote:Aye, and I have Atanarjuat as well for Inuktitut.

I ought to get Atanarjuat.

If only someone would make movies with a lot of Quechua and Warlpiri dialogue in them (Just putting it out there, in case you're listening, Universe). :partyhat:

Or Mohawk, Lushootseed, Cree, Arrernte, and I could go on. :P

モモンガ

Re: 鼯鼠 ももんが Blackfoot journal NAILC

Postby モモンガ » 2011-11-03, 20:09

Actually the title for both in "Blackfoot grammar" the autors are D.G. Frantz for the newer book, and Allan Ross Taylor for the older one.

Hmm, Blackfoot used to have its indigenous script, similar to that of Inuktitut and Cree.
but the order is different, it is nevertheless not often used for writing.
So it's not obligatory to learn it, but I have checked it.
Anyway, I now realise, that there are three "genders", in the language, animate and inanimate, though it's not so clear cut, as someone would expect, knives are animate for examples, so it's not always predictable.

the animate singular ending is -wa, plural is -iksi
and the other noun group uses -i and -tsti or something like that.
I am writing from memory, so I am bound to make spelling errors.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-04, 0:31

And today - numbers! :)

1 waŋží/wáŋči (used in counting)
2 núŋpa
3 yámni
4 tópa
5 záptaŋ
6 šákpe
7 šakówiŋ
8 šaglóǧaŋ
9 napčíyuŋka
10 wikčémna

Word of the Day: škečátȟaŋka - n. wolverine

księżycowy wrote:Or Mohawk, Lushootseed, Cree, Arrernte, and I could go on.

Yeah. 8-)
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Massimiliano B

Re: księży - NAILC - Lakȟotiyapi

Postby Massimiliano B » 2011-11-04, 12:32

Are there big differences between the Lakota language and the Dakota language?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-04, 15:19

Not, not any major differences. Lakota and Dakota have a great deal of mutual comprehension, as they're really two dialects of a single language (the Sioux language).

For course, there are some phonetic and lexicon differences between the two.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-04, 20:04

Another Update:

Moving on to lesson 2.

Verbs:
I've started going over the stative verb paradigms.

Wášte = 'to be good'

PersonSingularPlural
1stmawáštewáštepi
2ndniwášteniwáštepi
3rd(hé) wášte(hená) wáštepi
Dualwášte

- and hená are pronouns that are optionally used with the third person verb forms
-pi is the plural suffix for all persons
-uƞwášte (without the -pi) equals the dual form of the verb (you and I)

What's truly interesting about Lakȟota verbs is how these person makers can be affixed inside the verbs. Most other NA languages I've looked at have the pronominal affixes/prefixes/suffixes in a specific place (Mohawk and Lushootseed = the beginning of a verb;Cree = both sides of the verb; Arapaho = the end of the verb; Athabascan languages also have a specific place for them, though it can seem otherwise), but as best as I can tell, this is not the case with Lakȟota. Thus you have verbs like the following:

ípuza = to be thirsty

PersonSingularPlural
1stímapúzaípúzapi
2ndínipúzaínipúzapi
3rd(hé) ípuza(hená) ípuzapi
Dualípúza

And, sometimes the first person plural affix can take another place in the verb, different then all the other affixes. More on that later (maybe).

And that's all for today. :)

MillMaths

Sophie – Cherokee [NAILC]

Postby MillMaths » 2011-11-04, 23:58

I'll start with numbers. :D

1 – ᏌᏊᎢ saquui
2 – ᏔᎵ tali
3 – ᏦᎢ tsoi
4 – ᏅᎩ nvgi
5 – ᎯᏍᎩ hisgi
6 – ᏑᏓᎵ sudali
7 – ᎦᎵᏉᎩ galiquogi
8 – ᏧᏁᎳ tsunela
9 – ᏐᏁᎳ suonela
10 – ᏍᎪᎯ sgohi

11 – ᏌᏚᎢ sadui
12 – ᏔᎵᏚ talidu
13 – ᏦᎦᏚ tsogadu
14 – ᏂᎦᏚ nigadu
15 – ᏂᎦᏚ sgigadu
16 – ᏓᎷᏚ daludu
17 – ᎦᎵᏆᏚ galiquadu
18 – ᏁᎳᏚ neladu
19 – ᏐᏁᎳᏚ soneladu
20 – ᏔᎵᏍᎪᎯ talisgohi

księżycowy

Re: Sophie – Cherokee [NAILC]

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-05, 0:30

Welcome to the party! :partyhat:

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-05, 3:20

I read more about stative verbs today. Nouns as stative verbs. Adverbs as stative verbs. Numbers as stative verbs. I'm stative-verbed out. :doggy:

The one interesting thing though (for me anyway) is how stative verbs can be used for the comparative. Take, for instance, the verb íŋskokeča ("to be as large as, of the same size as"). "Íŋnimaskokeča" means "I am as large as you."

Word of the Day: gnašká - n. frog

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2011-11-05, 5:38

Some stuff in here that I didn't know! T.T Thanks for going into detail as you have done, Struthiomimus! Excellent! :mrgreen:

*Could you perhaps explain stative verbs a bit more? Where are you learning, if I may ask? If all of that is allowed to be asked I mean... :blush: *
Native American inspired Conlang!
Kaylee - NAILC - Lakȟotiyapi
Learning:lkt (lkt) Next: ru (ru) af (af) bo (bo) ar (ar) cy (cy)/gd (gd)

Thanks to hashi, ronin319, razlem, johntm, Lenguas, jake12,Milya0 and YngNghymru for literally teaching me from nothing, to something big! Thank you guys so much!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-05, 10:34

Struthiomimus wrote:I read more about stative verbs today. Nouns as stative verbs. Adverbs as stative verbs. Numbers as stative verbs. I'm stative-verbed out. :doggy:

It's always fascinated me that N.A. languages have verbs where most other languages (well all the other languages I've worked on/looked at anyway) would have a noun, adverb, or phrase. You definitely do get verbed-out in general with these languages! :P

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2011-11-06, 1:35

księżycowy wrote:
What's truly interesting about Lakȟota verbs is how these person makers can be affixed inside the verbs. Most other NA languages I've looked at have the pronominal affixes/prefixes/suffixes in a specific place (Mohawk and Lushootseed = the beginning of a verb;Cree = both sides of the verb; Arapaho = the end of the verb; Athabascan languages also have a specific place for them, though it can seem otherwise), but as best as I can tell, this is not the case with Lakȟota. Thus you have verbs like the following:

ípuza = to be thirsty

PersonSingularPlural
1stímapúzaípúzapi
2ndínipúzaínipúzapi
3rd(hé) ípuza(hená) ípuzapi
Dualípúza

And, sometimes the first person plural affix can take another place in the verb, different then all the other affixes. More on that later (maybe).

And that's all for today. :)

Is there a rule that helps to know when the person markers goes inside the verb?

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-06, 3:05

Word of the Day: wóiyopȟeičʼiye - n. regret

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-06, 11:00

̇Not really. When you learn a new verb you have to also learn the 1st p.s. and 1st p.p. forms (which are usually given in most good textbooks and dictionaries), and from that you know where the other affixes go.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-07, 4:01

Wamátukȟa. Mostly reviewed today. Nothing to really report.

Kaylee wrote:Some stuff in here that I didn't know! T.T Thanks for going into detail as you have done, Struthiomimus! Excellent!

I didn't even think I was going into that much detail, just giving highlights. But glad you discovered something! :D That's part of what the TAC/WAC/SAC/FAC/NAILC/etc are for, I think: to share discoveries you make along the way.

Kaylee wrote:*Could you perhaps explain stative verbs a bit more? Where are you learning, if I may ask? If all of that is allowed to be asked I mean...

My eyes. :doggy: And no, that's absolutely not allowed :twisted:

No, just kidding. :) I'm using the New Lakota Dictionary, the website, Beginning Lakhota (from the University of Colorado Language Consortium) and Oglala Lakota College Language course. :wink: Hmmm...I'm not really qualified to answer any questions as I'm just learning Lakhota like you. Actually you probably know more than I do, since you've been learning for a while. But if you have any particular question, I can see what I can fish out. Are you interested in the patterns? When stative verbs are used? How they differ from active verbs? Or something else?

księżycowy wrote:It's always fascinated me that N.A. languages have verbs where most other languages (well all the other languages I've worked on/looked at anyway) would have a noun, adverb, or phrase. You definitely do get verbed-out in general with these languages!

Yeah, all these uses of stative verbs are really making my brain work hard :silly: It's good, I guess.

And last but not least, the Word of the Day: tuktélšna - adv. sometimes

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-07, 11:42

Struthiomimus wrote:That's part of what the TAC/WAC/SAC/FAC/NAILC/etc are for, I think: to share discoveries you make along the way.

That's what I've always assumed. :wink:
It'd get pretty dull otherwise.

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2011-11-07, 19:22

Struthiomimus wrote:I didn't even think I was going into that much detail, just giving highlights. But glad you discovered something! :D That's part of what the TAC/WAC/SAC/FAC/NAILC/etc are for, I think: to share discoveries you make along the way.

My eyes. :doggy: And no, that's absolutely not allowed :twisted:

No, just kidding. :) I'm using the New Lakota Dictionary, the website, Beginning Lakhota (from the University of Colorado Language Consortium) and Oglala Lakota College Language course. :wink: Hmmm...I'm not really qualified to answer any questions as I'm just learning Lakhota like you. Actually you probably know more than I do, since you've been learning for a while. But if you have any particular question, I can see what I can fish out.

It goes into detail well, I think. :)

Yea, I've been learning a bit longer, but my resources aren't like yours. I just learn from the forum for now. :lol:
Struthiomimus wrote:
Are you interested in the patterns? When stative verbs are used? How they differ from active verbs? Or something else?

And yes! That would be something I would really like to learn about! There was a thread here before with lessons that I had gotten stuck on. >.>

*P.S
I like the word of the day you picked! :mrgreen:

Thanks to hashi, ronin319, razlem, johntm, Lenguas, jake12,Milya0 and YngNghymru for literally teaching me from nothing, to something big! Thank you guys so much!

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-08, 3:41

Háu mitákuyepi :)

Today I conjugated some verbs and learned the construction for "ago" - Hékta...kʼuŋ héhaŋ

So if I wanted to write the sentence "I went to the store two days ago." (from the Translations forum :D ), it'd be "Hékta aŋpétu núŋpa kʼuŋ héhaŋ masʼóphiye kiŋ ektá blé." 8-)

Word of the Day: aǧúyabskuyagmigma - n. doughnut

Kaylee wrote:And yes! That would be something I would really like to learn about! There was a thread here before with lessons that I had gotten stuck on. >.>

Okay, I'll work more on verbs and get back to you :wink:

Kaylee wrote:*P.S
I like the word of the day you picked!

Which one? tuktélšna?

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2011-11-08, 3:48

Yes, 'tuktélšna' was the one. :)

Okay, I'll work more on verbs and get back to you :wink:

I can't wait! :mrgreen: Thanks! :blush:

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”