NAILC 2011 Archive

Imyirtseshem

NAILC 2011 Archive

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-10-31, 6:25

This is simply the archive of all the threads from the 2011 NAILC competition.

*********************************************************************************************************************
Yá'át'ééh!

Well, a crazy times begins!

I've got no experience in Native American languages, except very little Inuktitut (a few lessons), so this is all very new and exciting for me. And what a language to start with! Navajo of all the many languages across the world! Well, hopefully my head doesn't burst! :)

Here, I'll probably just complain about how difficult the verbs are and occasionally write with excitement when even the smallest thing makes sense to me. Hope that someone enjoys my writing and please, don't try to speak Navajo with me. At least, not for around 10 years....wait, this is a month project? Oh well...

--------------------------------
Here, a running total of what I've done with the language. Details will be in further posts.

Study: 1h 25m
Immersion: 1h 20m
Input: 52m
Last edited by księżycowy on 2012-01-02, 14:12, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Added my intro to Imyirtseshem's original post

księżycowy

księży - NAILC - Lakȟotiyapi

Postby księżycowy » 2011-10-31, 11:53

Starting a bit early. Figured why not, eh? :P

So, I'm working on Lakȟotiyápi (Lakota) for this thing. For now I'll just share my thoughts on this language so far:
I like how the only thing that conjugates are the verbs (as with most NA languages). It's a nice change from the highly inflicted languages I've been working on, like Ancient Greek (and even French and Irish to a lesser degree).
This isn't really a polysythetic language either. I never really got into that much when I was studying Mohawk, but I know it's an odd thing to someone from an IE mind set (was for me). So the grammar isn't too hard, aside from the word order.
Word order can be a bitch sometimes. :P
At any rate, I'm not trying to write a book here. :whistle:

I'll post some notes starting tomorrow. I've mostly been trying to translate (in full) the story me Struth and Kaylee and presenting. Other than that I've gone over Unit 1 of my textbook, which was heavy on the pronunciation of Lakhota.

Remis

NAILC 2011 - Remis - [CHR]

Postby Remis » 2011-10-31, 21:13

Ah yes. Cherokee. Now, I've never even touched any NAILs; the closest I've been is Nahuatl and Mayan. I mostly just picked Cherokee because it looks and sounds interesting and I like the orthography. So yup, this will be an interesting challenge. :P
Not quite sure how I'm going to go about this; I'll probably just try to learn some new vocab every day, use flashcards coupled with wordlists, etc. I'll have to figure it out as I go. I'm not sure whether I'm going to learn the syllabary, either; I could realistically do it in a weekend (about the time I used on Cyrillic). However, for now I think I'll write in Latin (especially as I don't have a Cherokee IME) and just learn the symbols as I encounter them in the course.
Obviously, this is all very up in the air right now; I figure I'll stabilise my learning method within a couple of days.
But yeah, expect wordlists, complaints and general rants. :P
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

księżycowy

Re: NAILC 2011 - Remis - [CHR]

Postby księżycowy » 2011-10-31, 22:09

Remis wrote:for now I think I'll write in Latin (especially as I don't have a Cherokee IME)

Not to force you to use the syllabary, but just to let you know:
http://www.languagegeek.com/rotinonhson ... oards.html
The above site has an awesome IME for Cherokee. I use the "LanguageGeek" layout and it's pretty easy to type Cherokee. :wink:
(Just install Keyman as the "Home Use edition" if you're interested)

Imyirtseshem

Re: Imyirtseshem - Navajo from scratch

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-11-01, 0:11

So far, I've just done some listening, looking at texts and writing out the grammar from the book I'm using (Speak, Read, Write Navajo). I'm enjoying it; it's a fun language. Although, I've really got no idea of how the grammar really works, especially verbs are a total mystery. This is to be expected for a language like this though. It's not a standard European language where there aren't so many variables involved. After a little of what I'm doing now, once I start getting a bit of an intuitive grasp of how they work, I'll start consciously looking at it.

I find myself actually understanding the first dialogue of the book too, so yippee!

Diné bizaad shił ayóo nantł'ah ndi nizhóní doo yá'át'ééh. :)

Struthiomimus

NAILC 2011 - Struthiomimus - LKT

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-01, 2:50

Háu mitákuyepi,

Welcome to my thread for the North American Indigenous Language challenge. :) This year I plan to work on Lakhota (lakȟótiyapi) in order to celebrate Native American Heritage Month. I'll hopefully be posting notes here to show my progress as well as posting in the Wičhówoyake thread with Kaylee and Księżycowy. إن شاء الله

All the studying begins tomorrow. Till then, Happy Halloween! :silly:
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Struthiomimus

Re: księży - NAILC - Lakȟotiyapi

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-01, 2:53

Here we go! Good luck!
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

LackOfFuel

(NAILC) LackOfFuel CHEROKEE

Postby LackOfFuel » 2011-11-01, 8:22

I know nothing about Cherokee with exception of some basic vocabulary I learnt on internet. But it's very interesting, beautiful sounding language, so I think it'd be nice to learn it. The main goal here is to learn syllabary and vocabulary, so I'll try to form sentences and write them using solely syllabary. I hope that way, my knowledge of Cherokee will improve. Anyway, I've got a feeling this is going to be fun. :D

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎦᏕᎶᏆᎠ.
Smisel življenja je ležanje na plaži. 8-)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-01, 10:05

Thanks! Good luck to you guys as well. :mrgreen:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-01, 10:09

Imyirtseshem wrote:[...] the book I'm using (Speak, Read, Write Navajo).

You're in great hands with that book. :wink:

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-11-01, 11:22

Yeah, it's pretty nice.

I've also got:

Navajo Basic Course;
Let's read Navajo preprimer;
Talking Navajo Before You Know It;
The Navajo Language;
Speak Navajo: An intermediate Course In Communication;
The Navajo Verb;
3 dictionaries;
several linguistic papers;
a small but good collection of texts (some bilingual);
NT audio (still got to get the modern text, only have the outdated one)
a few other little videos and audio files.

I think....that I'll be able to manage with it. With some bits and pieces on Wikipedia and other websites, surely I've got a lot of material to go through. For a simpler language, I'd surely run out quickly, but for Navajo it should suffice for a couple years... :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-01, 11:31

Wow! Quite a list!
I only have:
SRW Navajo
Breakthrough Navajo
Speaking Navajo

Got to pick up a copy of The Navajo Verb sometime.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-01, 16:22

Time for an update.

Still haven't gotten back into my textbook much, but I'll share some things I remember from the first unit and the story.

Word Order:
-One of the things that immediately struck me was how the verb placement in Lakhota reminds me of German (meaning the verb is at the end of the sentence). Because of this connect, it's not too hard for me to remember.

-Any noun modifiers come after the noun (at least that was the case for the story and unit 1).
E.g.

watá (boat) --> watá waƞ (a boat)
thípi (house) --> thípi kiƞ (the house)
etc.
(these pronouns are not used the same as in English)

-Lakhota sentences can be very long, equaling more then one English sentence, due to more then one clause being added to the sentence. This is mainly seen in the story. And this isn’t completely due the usual N.A. linguistic feature of a verb equaling an English sentence.

-Questions are formed by adding the enclitic he to the end of a sentence.
E.g.

Mary hí. (Mary came.)
Mary hí he. (Has Mary come?)

Pronunciation:
Not much to say here, aside from the fact that I love some of the consonant clusters in Lakhota (bl, ps, gl, mn, gn, gm). And maybe it’s the French and/or Mohawk, but the nasal vowels are a nice touch too.

That's all for now.

モモンガ

鼯鼠 ももんが Blackfoot journal NAILC

Postby モモンガ » 2011-11-01, 19:45

So I am making the thread as I said.
I will start from tomorrow!

I have not tried learning an Native American language seriously before, so it will be a challenge.
I have only tried to learn some Cherokee syllabary, but i don't remember any vocabulary currently.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

Struthiomimus

Re: NAILC 2011 - Struthiomimus - LKT

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-02, 2:53

And so it begins…

Today I worked on stative verbs, for which the basic pattern is:

ma-
ni-

uŋ(k)-

uŋ(k)…pi
ni...pi
-pi

So to illustrate with an example, take the verb káŋ = to be old:

makáŋ = I'm old.

nikáŋ = You (s.) are old.

káŋ = He/she/it is old.

uŋkáŋ = We (you and I) are old.

uŋkáŋpi = We (pl.) are old.

nikáŋpi = You (pl.) are old.

káŋpi = They (distributive) are old.
wičhákaŋ = They (collective) are old.

I also learned the (active) verb “to go” :

blé = I went
lé = you (s.) went
yé = he/she/it went

uŋyé = we (you and I) went

uŋyáŋpi = we (pl.) went
lápi = you (pl.) went
yápi = they went

And I watched Dances with Wolves today :D

Word of the Day: wagmú - n. squash, gourd, pumpkin

Mol_Bolom

Re: NAILC 2011 - Remis - [CHR]

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2011-11-02, 3:17

Remis, if you want them, I have a few sound files I've made. I might even still have one to help differentiate between -tl- and -kl-, which I've noticed is a bit of a problem area with beginners. They sometimes learn words such as Gitli as Gikli.

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-11-02, 9:52

I'm starting to get used to how the language sounds and can pronounce most things fairly well. Still got some room to improve, naturally.

I can understand the first dialogue of SRW Navajo, most of the second and made some good headway with the third today.

Updated statistics
+input 30m
+study 20m
+immersion 20m

księżycowy

Re: NAILC 2011 - Struthiomimus - LKT

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-02, 10:04

Struthiomimus wrote:And I watched Dances with Wolves today :D

Great movie, even if only to hear the Lakhota! :wink:
A friend has a copy, maybe I'll try watching it sometime soon. That's what really got my into Lakhota after all. :D

モモンガ

Re: 鼯鼠 ももんが Blackfoot journal NAILC

Postby モモンガ » 2011-11-02, 11:57

I have downloaded two books about the grammar.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

księżycowy

Re: 鼯鼠 ももんが Blackfoot journal NAILC

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-02, 12:07

Out of curiosity, what ones?

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”