Bluejay390 - Mohawk + Lakota

bluejay390

Re: Bluejay390 - Mohawk

Postby bluejay390 » 2011-12-18, 17:07

Kwe everyone.

I forgot that NAILC got extended to the end of the year. :p Actually, this is perfect timing; my last post was on November 16 and it's now December 18 where I am so if I just pick up Mohawk again for the rest of this month, it'll all add up to one month total of studying (which is all I had planned on doing anyway). Also, I only have 2 finals left and then I have a month to do whatever I want without worrying about uni responsibilities.

I really did enjoy learning some Mohawk for a while there.

When I was a little girl I remember going to a museum and seeing a Native American exhibition there. I remember learning about Native American women and how they actually had a lot of power, respect, and played important roles in Native American society. I don't know, as a woman I just find learning about women and their roles in society, etc. interesting. :p

"Mohawk Nation wedding ceremonies are conducted by a chief, since the chief holds the sanction to perform the greatest rituals before the Creator. In a marriage, the couple vow their commitment before the Creator. [...] Much respect is given to the woman by her husband because the woman is the head of the household." source

"Clan Mothers' influence was felt most directly at the community level. The village council was composed of chiefs representing each clan. These chiefs, all of them men, were appointed by Clan Mothers. The Clan Mothers could also depose chiefs they judged to be incompetent. People always asked for, and respected, the Clan Mothers' opinion. Their advice was sought when war was declared, or peace negotiated." source

If anyone is interested in Mohawk Folklore, this site has some good stories. Everyone reading this log should go read "Sky Woman" and "The Birth of Good and Evil" at least right now. :p

This site also has some good information on Native Americans in Canada.

Some Vocabulary

Some random flashcards of random words that I found through google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnpl4aufsuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bruqWceZZ3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru629rAiwx8

I need to redo/edit my Anki deck. It's a little messy right now and needs to be reorganized. -.-

And now I'll end this post with a cool little skit that I found. I wanna sit down and have a casual chat with these ladies. XD And I feel like I should know some of the vocabulary used there. :p Mohawk is really nice to listen to. I think I've grown to like this language a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgnPLyE6GZI
Selamat tidur kekasih gelapku♪♫

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-12-18, 18:19

bluejay390 wrote:Kwe everyone.

I forgot that NAILC got extended to the end of the year. :p

Actually, it extends to the end of January.

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2011-12-18, 19:04

księżycowy wrote:
bluejay390 wrote:Kwe everyone.

I forgot that NAILC got extended to the end of the year. :p

Actually, it extends to the end of January.

Oh really? I don't know why I thought it was just until the end of this year then. That's great though! I'll have even more time then. :D

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2012-04-14, 21:15

Wenhniserí:io wáhi'.
It's been a while since I've touched this log or studied Mohawk. Kentórha! :p

I updated my Mohawk decks yesterday! :D They're beautiful~

On a different note, I brought the book Lakota Woman yesterday. it's a memoir by a Lakota woman named Mary Crow Dog (or also known as Mary Brave Bird). Between that and my book about Sitting Bull, I feel like learning some Sioux. I'm thinking of learning some Lakota as I read through my books. 1 Chapter of a book = 1 lesson (from the UL course and whatever else I can find)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-04-14, 22:52

Lakhota is awesome! :D

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2012-04-15, 13:58

Haha, I'm inclined to agree with you, księżycowy. So far Lakhota seems pretty awesome. This might sound odd but so far I really like the way it's written. The letter combinations look nice together. They have some funky accents over letters. I love the little ŋ thing they have! It's just such a beautiful shape. XD That typography class really changed how I look at type/words/letters now. :p

WAŊCI
-Learned a bit about the pronunciation of Lakota and the alphabet.
-The first chapter of my book is a short introduction type thing so instead of talking or quoting from the book I'll share this semi-related video. I found it while looking for Lakota resources on youtube.

ŊUPA
"At the center of the old Sioux society was the tiyospaye, the extended family group, the basic hunting band, which included grandparents, uncles, aunts, in-laws, and cousins." -Lakota Woman page 13.

In this chapter, Mary brave Bird talks about how many children growing up now on the reservations don't have a father, don't have the kind of extended family system that Sioux society once had. She herself talks about how she grew up without a father and was raised by her grandparents. But she also talks about how some Indian traditions and habits still survived, like how her Grandmother, even though she became a catholic, was still very much Indian in a lot of the things she did, or how many people still called on the medicine man or old traditions when someone was sick.

---Learning Lakota Lesson 2---

-Adjs go after the noun, nouns are not modified.
-The definite article kiŋ (the) also goes after the noun, and after the adj if there's an adj in the sentence.
-When kiŋ is placed between the noun and adj. the adj means "it is adj."

Vocabulary exercises:
The eagle is white - Waŋblí kiŋ ská
The strange boy - Hokšíla tókeca kiŋ
The boy is strange - Hokšíla kiŋ tókeca
The small girl - Wicíŋcala cíkala kiŋ
The black book - Wówapi sápa kiŋ
Wicáša kiŋ táŋka - The man is big
Wíŋyaŋ zizípela kiŋ - The thin woman
Šúŋka kiŋ šapa - The dog is dirty
Kóla tókeca kiŋ - The strange friend
I already checked my answers on the UL thread and got all of these right : D

My own sentences:
Šuŋka cíkala kiŋ šápa. Šuŋka nitȟáwa kiŋ šápa. Šuŋka mitȟáwa kiŋ táŋka. Šuŋka táŋka ská kiŋ.
The small dog is dirty. Your dog is dirty. My dog is big. The big white dog.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”