How to Write Lewis in Inuktitut Syllabics

macksie

How to Write Lewis in Inuktitut Syllabics

Postby macksie » 2011-06-23, 3:11

Hello there,

I am in the VERY early stages of learning Inuktitut and have an Inukshuk to give my nephew, for his first birthday - he's had a very challenging start in life.

Anyway, I would really like to enclose his name, which is LEWIS, in Inuktitut syllabics. I think I have it right (sorry I don't have the font yet to show you) but at this stage in my learning I'm baffled by the final "s".

I'm not at all sure that it's acceptable/correct to have an "s" as a final.

I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me get his name 100% right!

Would be greatly appreciated - and teach me something too!

zeme

Re: How to Write Lewis in Inuktitut Syllabics

Postby zeme » 2011-06-23, 23:26

Hi! It's nice to see another person interested in Inuktitut! There's not many of us here :D
I can try to help, but the best person to ask about anything related to Inuktitut is Tukkumminnguaq.

Firstly, Inuktitut has no "e" nor "wi" sound, meaning that you will have to change the name a bit (Lais or Luis) These would render as ᓗᐃᔅ and ᓚᐃᔅ, but I might be wrong, so I wouldn't trust me if I were you.

I wish you good luck with your studies!
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.

macksie

Re: How to Write Lewis in Inuktitut Syllabics

Postby macksie » 2011-06-25, 0:41

Hello zeme, and thank you so much for your reply!

My own guess was the same as your first suggestion, so perhaps we are both getting something right! Perhaps Tukkumminnguaq will be kind enough to confirm.

I will certainly be back for more help with my studies. I am fascinated by Inuktitut as a gateway to another culture, which some languages seem to provide more than others, and hope to have an opportunity (at some point in life!) to use it "in the field".

Good luck with your studies too, and many thanks again!

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”