[ᏃᏊ! Ꮭ ᎪᎱᏍᏗ ᎠᎭᏂ ᏱᎩ...There's nothing here now.]

Mol_Bolom

[ᏃᏊ! Ꮭ ᎪᎱᏍᏗ ᎠᎭᏂ ᏱᎩ...There's nothing here now.]

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2011-01-11, 23:13

Old title of this thread: ᏗᏥᏁᎵᏗᏍᎩᎢ ᎠᏆᏚᎵ...(Need some guinea pigs)

###########################################################
<Edit> The links have been removed and the files have been moved offline, and therefore this thread no longer has any useful information. However, if anyone would still like to try out these layouts, just email or PM me and I'll send them to you.
###########################################################

I've created three Cherokee keyboard maps for Windows Vista, and need some testers...

So give them a try and give me some ideas of what should/needs to be changed, and your opinions about them.

Cherokee Unicode qsuo Map
This one is similar to the one I use on Linux. Check the Images directory for keyboard help.
Note: I don't have any of the letters used in the Shift state so that the layout is sort of DVORAK like.

Info: (Using the US keyboard layout as a reference).
Keypress + Keypress == compose character.
h + ; == Ꮏ
; + j == Ꮐ

Cherokee Unicode qwest Map
This one is more similar to the CNO font, except allows for use of the numbers and other symbols on the keyboard. By typing q then a will yield the character Ꮖ. (The MSKLC doesn't allow for multiple key dead keys, to my knowledge at this point in time). Again, Check the image directory for keyboard layout info.

(Don't remember the name of this mapping)
This one is based on the CNO font, and has no dead keys...Meaning, this isn't going to be easy to use, and probably should be avoided at all costs...:D...

Notes:
The names qsuo and qwest are references to the keyboard layouts the same way QWERTY and DVORAK are.
qsuo = Ꮚ | Ꮝ | Ꭴ | Ꭳ (No dead keys, dead keys are all on the right side of the keyboard)
qwest = Ꮖ (dead key) | Ꮹ (dead key) | Ꭱ | Ꮢ | Ꮤ (dead key)

For removing, do not delete the installation files and run the setup.exe program a second time and select "Remove" to remove the layouts from your system, or through the "Control Panel".

Known Issues:
  • For some strange reason, by typing a dead key then a key which doesn't exist in the compose sequences returns duplicate characters, and since I had to use English characters (for this experiment) for the dead keys, thusly will return two English characters or an English character and a Cherokee character. Such as pressing m+v (which there's no Cherokee letter equivalent for) will return mᎥ (English m with Cherokee Ꭵ).
  • The layouts currently are added to the English Keyboard layouts, will want to check to see if it's possible to create a Cherokee set or add them to the Inuit (Forgot which name Windows uses) keyboard layouts.

Needs:
  • Tests on Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

There shouldn't be any problems that can't be corrected easily.

<Edit>
qsuo keyboard layout tested and functioning, on Windows Vista and 7, 32 bit systems.
Last edited by Mol_Bolom on 2011-03-13, 1:07, edited 3 times in total.

Formiko

Re: ᏗᏥᏁᎵᏗᏍᎩᎢ ᎠᏆᏚᎵ...(Need some guinea pigs) ;)

Postby Formiko » 2011-01-14, 7:38

Do any of these require on to learn a new layout (like the Cherokee Nation layout?) Typing the syllable is by far the easiest way. If one has to learn a new layout, that'll prevent many from learning it.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-01-14, 9:04

Formiko wrote:Do any of these require on to learn a new layout (like the Cherokee Nation layout?) Typing the syllable is by far the easiest way. If one has to learn a new layout, that'll prevent many from learning it.

I've been experimenting (typing) with the qwerty version and it's like typing Japanese or Amharic on the computer (well kind of). You type the consonant you want, then the vowel and you get the syllabic character.

The Cherokee Nation layout is something else to say the least . . . :?

johnH

Postby johnH » 2011-02-13, 19:46

I dont find it to inconvinient actually. It's alright new to me it is but it doesn't seam bad of course.

Mol_Bolom

Postby Mol_Bolom » 2011-02-15, 6:57

Just remember, if there's anything you all think would be better just let me know.

Right now with the layout I use I'm finding that I need to reorganize the vowels. As of now I have "asdfer" as "ᎠᎥᎢᎡᎤᎣ", and I have "w" as "Ꮝ" which I really need to move it back to "x". I could use "w" for Ꮤ and "t" for Ꮨ then. Anyway, it's just an idea as of now. Still not too sure about it.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”