General Discussion

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Re: General Discussion

Postby aaakknu » 2017-11-23, 6:48

dEhiN wrote:
Irusia wrote:Here is my thread: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=52302

Is Greenlandic considered a NAIL? If so, what are you using or have used or will use to learn it? I've had interest in Greenlandic before but never did anything with it, so maybe I'll join you!

So far, I have only used Memrise, "A Grammar of Kalaallisut (West Greenlandic lnuttut)" by Jerrold M. Sadock and a few grammar lessons here on Unilang.

But here is my collection of links and resources I plan to use someday:

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mbittner/kalaallisut-texts/ - texts in Greenlandic with English translations

http://old.bibelselskabet.dk/grobib/web/bibelen.htm - the Bible in Greenlandic

https://www.duolingo.com/comment/13306580 - some lessons on Duolingo

http://www.ilinniusiorfik.gl/oqaatsit/daka - Greenlandic - Danish dictionary

http://www.oqaasileriffik.gl - Greenlandic - English - Danish dictionary

http://www.oqaatsit.gl

http://www.atuagkat.com/default.asp?lang=uk

http://bulba.sdsu.edu/~malouf/papers/greenlandic.pdf

http://www.erudit.org/revue/etudinuit/2 ... 9275ar.pdf
Last edited by Aurinĭa on 2017-11-23, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove copyrighted material
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-23, 9:35

Yes, Greenlandic is considered a NAIL. It's a dialect of the Inuit language, why wouldn't it be a NAIL? :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-23, 11:31

Thanks Irusia for the links! Oh and I think for my NAILC, I'm going to do Greenlandic. (Sorry księżycowy, but I think I'm going to abandon Seneca. I've been interested in Greenlandic for longer than Seneca, and seeing Irusia do it is giving me motivation to do it myself!)
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-23, 11:38

No reason to be sorry. I'll keep going with Seneca regardless. Hopefully you'll eventually come back, but even if not, no worries.

All this talk of Greenlandic and Iñupiaq is getting to me too. Where as I've been interested in Iroquoian languages for a long time, I've also been interested in Eskimo-Aleut too. Though variety is a good thing, so even if I did do a bit of a Eskimo-Aleut language, it wouldn't be Greenlandic.

Either that or I could go for two Iroquoian languages and learn one of the other 6 Nation languages to help me along with Seneca. Not sure if that would be a good idea at this stage though. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-23, 12:32

Yeah I think starting two similar and related languages at the same time, or in general having them at the same level, can be pretty confusing! Sure there's the advantage of similar vocabulary and grammar structures, but I think that advantage only really shows up when you know one of the two better than the other.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-23, 12:48

Those are my thoughts as well, so I'll probably just stick with Seneca.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-23, 16:20

I forgot to mention, typically I have archived the NAILC Powwow threads (as in the two example links I shared above). We're no were near the end of the Powwow, but I though I should let you know now in case you might want your thread to be saved. Just think it over as we go, and if you intend to continue with your NAIL after the Powwow, just let me know towards the end of the Powwow.

There's no need to do so now. In fact, I'll probably forget. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-24, 5:18

Well, they won't actually be in the forum archives, though, right? So we can still link to them and anybody can access them, just like we could with those three links you posted earlier to Powwows from past years.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-24, 8:13

Yes, that is correct. But they will be smushed together, like one of those links. So as long as you don't mind that, it will still be accessible.

(I could swear that there should a another archived Powwow around here.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-25, 6:03

That's fine, I can always link to individual posts if need be anyway. :D I did that on my Malayalam lessons thread with Meera's TAC, because I'd posted the first few lessons there and just linked to individual posts so people don't have to comb through the whole TAC if they're interested. :P

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2017-11-25, 6:37

Signing up for Inuktitut.

What do we do, by the way? Do we create our own individual threads like TAC?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-25, 10:19

Karavinka wrote:Signing up for Inuktitut.

Cool, welcome aboard! :D

What do we do, by the way?

It kinda depends. I usually don't tack down what you can do for a Powwow, but some ideas are: Doing a typical TAC like thing where you learn a language and make posts about what you're learning and stuff. Or you can dissect some written work in the language. Or you can write something in the language (and dissecting it as you write). Or anything else you can think of.

As long as it has something to do with learning the language and is something you can post about fairly regularly, almost anything goes really.
Do we create our own individual threads like TAC?

Yes, please refer to the following threads for examples:
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=52309
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=52306#p1090347
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=52302
Etc.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-25, 11:40

I have a question. Could we, instead of starting a NAILC thread in this forum, just do our updates on our own TAC? My TAC is never about a specific language, but just whatever languages I'm studying at a given time.

Also, I decided to not do Greenlandic just yet - I might in the future - and instead do Mohawk. I found a cool resource by the Mohawk Language Custodian Association / Association pour la préservation de la langue Mohawk with lessons in both English and French. So added bonus: I get to read in both languages, and simultaneously practice my French!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-25, 11:45

I would prefer the NAILC threads be here, but I'm open to it.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but the first edition of the Mohawk Teaching Grammar is also online too. It uses the older spelling system, but it's a pretty good textbook regardless.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2017-11-26, 5:14

Karavinka wrote:Signing up for Inuktitut.

What do we do, by the way? Do we create our own individual threads like TAC?

On second thought, I don't think I could spare time for another language without seriously delaying/disturbing my ongoing projects, which are too many already. I'm sorry, I'm pulling out.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-26, 10:02

No worries. Maybe next year? :wink:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-01, 11:23

It is Dec. 1st 6:21am (local time), and I officially declare the start of the Powwow!

Have fun everyone! :D

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-07, 6:44

Hey all, I'm going to bow out of the NAILC for this year. Have fun, and perhaps I'll join next year!

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-10, 16:36

Where can I find information on Proto-Inuit and Proto-Eskimo-Aleut?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-10, 17:51

Irusia wrote:Where can I find information on Proto-Inuit and Proto-Eskimo-Aleut?

I'm not sure, but if you don't get any responses here, you could also try asking in the Linguistics thread. There are some who read the general forums but don't read this forum, and one of them might be able to help you.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”