General Discussion

księżycowy
Re: General Discussion

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-23, 6:55

I think Aleut is also more simplistic in it's phonology. Grammatically, they are probably similar enough.

Again, these are just guesses and impressions, with not much to back them up. :P

I haven't gotten far enough with either language to know for sure.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-10-24, 0:35

Better than anything I can think of coming up with. :P So thanks again! :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-24, 23:53

Thanks to Salajane and Antea, I'm now considering switching from Ojibwe to Greenlandic! Even though I have an interest in both, and have had for some time, I would say I've been more interested in Greenlandic. I need to find a resource similar to Ojibwe.net to go through (or a book to buy by November 1). Any suggestions?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-24, 23:57

Could I interest you in Aleut? :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-10-25, 12:32

Speaking of Aleut and Greenlandic, would those of y'all interested in Greenlandic like (me?) to make an Eskimo-Aleut language study group where we can study both languages and maybe try to compare them? Or would you prefer having one group for Greenlandic and another separate one for Aleut? :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-25, 12:41

dEhiN wrote:I need to find a resource similar to Ojibwe.net to go through (or a book to buy by November 1). Any suggestions?

The only suggestion I have is not really for Greenlandic, but rather Inuktitut: https://tusaalanga.ca/

In other news, thanks for asking here about the comparative study group, Vijay. I would definitely be interested! Some of the first NAILs I tried to study where Eskimo-Aleut, and I'd love to return (which I'm hoping this is the start of that process).
If I didn't have enough of a language workload already I might consider doing Yupik to get all three major languages on board. :P (I think I like Aleut the most out of all of them anyway, so I'm not bothered in the least with doing just that one.)

I'd like to get a story or two going this year, like has been done in the past. What are your thoughts on presenting a story in Aleut and/or Cayuga, Vijay?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-10-25, 14:18

It’s a great idea. I’ve interested lately in Greenlandic. I’ve got no time now to look for resources, but I am sure there’ll be some of them in Memrise. I’ll to look at it later.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-10-26, 0:56

Would you be interested in using Grøndlandsk for begyndere together?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-10-26, 2:03

I realize I'm probably not the one you're asking, but is it available online?
księżycowy wrote:If I didn't have enough of a language workload already I might consider doing Yupik to get all three major languages on board. :P (I think I like Aleut the most out of all of them anyway, so I'm not bothered in the least with doing just that one.)

One of my profs is supposed to be like the world's expert on Yupik or something and worked on Cup'ik in Chevak for years, so I can sweeten the deal and add in any little bits of Cup'ik that I remember over the years at least (and maybe some more that I can find online, if it doesn't end up being too overwhelming). :)
I'd like to get a story or two going this year, like has been done in the past. What are your thoughts on presenting a story in Aleut and/or Cayuga, Vijay?

I realize this is the tradition, but I fear it may end up being too much work for all of us. (But if I do do that in either of those languages, then at least in principle, I'd like to try in Michif and/or Lnuismk, too :P).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-26, 9:10

vijayjohn wrote:One of my profs is supposed to be like the world's expert on Yupik or something and worked on Cup'ik in Chevak for years, so I can sweeten the deal and add in any little bits of Cup'ik that I remember over the years at least (and maybe some more that I can find online, if it doesn't end up being too overwhelming). :)

Indeed, let's not get in too deep. But whatever you can offer would be cool.

"Vijay wrote:
księżycowy wrote:I'd like to get a story or two going this year, like has been done in the past. What are your thoughts on presenting a story in Aleut and/or Cayuga, Vijay?

I realize this is the tradition, but I fear it may end up being too much work for all of us. (But if I do do that in either of those languages, then at least in principle, I'd like to try in Michif and/or Lnuismk, too :P).

My thoughts are presenting (a) story(s) that has already been translated (cause that's all I can find at the moment anyway), and parse we can manage. (And so we're on the same wavelength with the term parse, I mean the same kinda thing I do in my Greek and Hebrew reading threads.)

In my eyes, it would be perfectly fine if we didn't parse the whole thing. The objective would be to just do what we could manage (both from a learning and time standpoint).

How does that sound to you?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-26, 20:51

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:I need to find a resource similar to Ojibwe.net to go through (or a book to buy by November 1). Any suggestions?

The only suggestion I have is not really for Greenlandic, but rather Inuktitut: https://tusaalanga.ca/

Oh yeah, I forgot about that resource! Damn, now you're tempting me with Inuktitut!

Salajane wrote:Would you be interested in using Grøndlandsk for begyndere together?

Isn't that book in Norwegian? If so, unless there's an English translation, I'm afraid my Norwegian isn't quite up to snuff.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-10-26, 21:00

It's in Danish. I can try translating lessons with the help of a dictionary.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-26, 21:15

dEhiN wrote:Damn, now you're tempting me with Inuktitut!

But not Aleut, huh? Lame. :pff:

I might also note that the Inuit languages (Iñupiaq, Inuktitut, Greenlandic) are a dialect continuum, so noöne needs to fret over which variety to learn. Unless of course there is need for a specific dialect.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-10-26, 21:20

dEhiN wrote:Isn't that book in Norwegian? If so, unless there's an English translation, I'm afraid my Norwegian isn't quite up to snuff.

David, maybe you can understand Danish more than you think, because of your knowledge of Swedish.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-26, 22:02

Antea wrote:David, maybe you can understand Danish more than you think, because of your knowledge of Swedish.

Possibly, although I stopped Swedish a few months back, and I don't feel like I got that far in it to begin with. Of course, it's always a fun challenge to try and learn a language through a resource written in another language that you partially know. :D

I just did some googling for online Greenlandic resources in English, and found this, which seems promising. It's a blog of someone who either has learned or is learning Greenlandic, and has decided to write a course online. You can find a list of lessons here.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-10-28, 23:23

księżycowy wrote:My thoughts are presenting (a) story(s) that has already been translated (cause that's all I can find at the moment anyway), and parse we can manage. (And so we're on the same wavelength with the term parse, I mean the same kinda thing I do in my Greek and Hebrew reading threads.)

In my eyes, it would be perfectly fine if we didn't parse the whole thing. The objective would be to just do what we could manage (both from a learning and time standpoint).

How does that sound to you?

That's fine, as long as you (or I? :?) can find at least one story to work on. It would be nice if I could try to do something similar for Lnuismk and/or Michif as well.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-28, 23:29

I'm not sure about Cayuga just yet, but Aleut is in the bag.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-10-29, 21:32

Where do you find all these stories anyway? :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-29, 21:37

Mostly online.

Aleut is super easy because of the ANLA. I'm still trying to work with the Woodland Cultural Center in order to get some other resources for Cayuga, so we'll see how that goes. If I don't get anything back (for a while or forever) our choices might be rather limited.

Any particular subject matter you want to see in at least one of the stories?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-10-30, 3:55

I get to pick subject matter?! You gotta be kidding me!

I dunno, can you find something that has something to do with fermented fish? :P Nah, in reality, I'm pretty sure I'm fine with anything.

I guess for Micmac, just about the best thing I've found so far (after some searching) is this, and there are a few stories in Michif and English (okay, they're actually translated into Michif) like this one, so I could try to just ignore the English and then check my answer against it later. :P Or there's also this audio file in Michif (the equivalent in English is also available).

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”