Lakota Practice

culúrien
Lakota Practice

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-02, 16:11

I wanted to practice writing, even if they are pointless sentences that don't have anything to do with each other :D

Lyapi tókeca wówaglake éyas Nero lyapi tókeca slolyé. Mahpíya kiŋ tewahila kte. Hogáŋ kin waciŋ kte šni.

That was exhausting, and probably very wrong!
استیسی

Nero

Re: Lakota Practice

Postby Nero » 2006-09-02, 18:13

celebrian23 wrote:I wanted to practice writing, even if they are pointless sentences that don't have anything to do with each other :D

Iyapi tókeca wówaglake éyas Nero iyapi tókeca slolyé. Mahpíya kiŋ tewahila kte. Hogáŋ kiŋ waciŋ kte šni.

That was exhausting, and probably very wrong!

"I speak (a) strange language but Nero knows a strange language. I will love the sky. I won't want the fish"

(Now that I think about it, the first thing I ever said in Lakota was, "tókeca. líla tókeca" :o)

líla wašté (very good), Celebrian :) You have the correct word order and formation. Which reminds me, I have to start a new thread sometime. How is arabic going, btw?

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-09-02, 18:59

I'm so sorry to tell you but i will have no time to study Native American Languages anymore. (At least this year) Because my exam maraton is about to start again. Before this summer, i was planning to study Lakota,Nahuatl,Quichua and Manx or Welsh. I filled my quota. I learn them for enthusiast. It was great. From now on, i will only study Russian and Korean. I may not have time to study either those. Time will show. Thank you for your helps Nero. But i'll be around here, don't worry.

Good Luck Celeb!

:P

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-02, 19:07

Alcadras wrote:I'm so sorry to tell you but i will have no time to study Native American Languages anymore. (At least this year) Because my exam maraton is about to start again. Before this summer, i was planning to study Lakota,Nahuatl,Quichua and Manx or Welsh. I filled my quota. I learn them for enthusiast. It was great. From now on, i will only study Russian and Korean. I may not have time to study either those. Time will show. Thank you for your helps Nero. But i'll be around here, don't worry.

Good Luck Celeb!

No problem Alcadras :) . Good luck with Russian and Korean, they are also very fascinating languages
Last edited by Nero on 2006-09-02, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-02, 19:10

Alcadras wrote:
Good Luck Celeb!

We'll miss you!
استیسی

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-09-02, 19:10

No, i'm not studying Welsh. I learned Manx and now they're all paused for a year. :lol:

I think this became a very dramatic text. :lol:

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-02, 19:21

Alcadras wrote:No, i'm not studying Welsh. I learned Manx and now they're all paused for a year. :lol:

I think this became a very dramatic text. :lol:

Oops, sorry, I said "Welsh" instead of russian. I can't remember all your languages :lol:

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-03, 4:57

When in a fit of boredom study Lakota I always say!

Kimímila wašiŋ kiŋ cíkala. Ziŋtkala cíkala kiŋ ská. Nero, wicáša yaun na wicíŋcala waun. Nero, mawašté! Na macépa šni! Aŋpa kiŋ tewahíla. Pagóŋta kiŋ waciŋ kte!

Goodnight!

I am confused on one thing: stative verbs vs. adjectives

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-03, 17:20

celebrian23 wrote:
I am confused on one thing: stative verbs vs. adjectives

Alrighty then, maybe I can clear that up:

What we know to be adjectives in english, Lakota expresses through using stative verbs.

Stative verbs are verbs that imply that the subject is in a certain condition (hot/cold/big/small/etc). In english, we might translate these kind of verbs as "to be hot", "to be cold", etc.

So for example, take the english "blue butterfly". In lakota, you are literally saying, "butterfly it-is-blue".

And like other verbs, they conjugate according to number (singular or plural). So to say "blue butterflies", you are saying "butterfly they-are-blue" in lakota.

Does that kinda make sense, or did I just accidently mess you up further? :lol:

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-03, 17:25

nope, that makes perfect sense :P :P :P
استیسی

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-07, 0:27

Mayaciŋpi ;) Mayaciŋ he? Mawašté. Wakšúpi kiŋ tewahila kte šni he? Wóayupte kiŋ slolwayé šni. Ajúŋtka kiŋ wówata kte! Iyéska kiŋ wicayaciŋpi éyas Lakóta kiŋ wówaglake. 8)
استیسی

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-07, 0:38

celebrian23 wrote:Mayaciŋpi ;) Mayaciŋ he? Mawašté. Wakšúpi kiŋ tewahila kte šni he? Wóayupte kiŋ slolwayé šni. Ajúŋtka kiŋ wówata kte! Iyéska kiŋ wicayaciŋpi éyas Lakóta kiŋ wówaglake. 8)

"You all want me. Do you want me? I am good. Won't I love the bead maker? I don't know the answer. I will eat the kidney. You all want the interpreters but I speak the Lakota (language)"

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-07, 0:40

Nero wrote:
celebrian23 wrote:Mayaciŋpi ;) Mayaciŋ he? Mawašté. Wakšúpi kiŋ tewahila kte šni he? Wóayupte kiŋ slolwayé šni. Ajúŋtka kiŋ wówata kte! Iyéska kiŋ wicayaciŋpi éyas Lakóta kiŋ wówaglake. 8)

"You all want me. Do you want me? I am good. Won't I love the bead maker? I don't know the answer. I will eat the kidney. You all want the interpreters but I speak the Lakota (language)"

I know you're jealous on my simple sentences with no connection with each other 8) 8)
استیسی

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2006-09-07, 19:47

Wícokaŋhiyaya kiŋ tewahila! Na wamákaškaŋ wicatewahila! Mató kiŋ, igmú kiŋ, wakíŋyela kiŋ, šúnšuŋla kiŋ na magá kiŋ! Wamákaškaŋ kiŋ waštépi!

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-09-07, 20:27

Šúŋka kiŋ wapápa :P Lakota 'easy' un :lol:
'easy' = ???
Tewicawahíla. tiwáhe kiŋ :D Temayahíla :lol:
Last edited by Aleco on 2006-09-08, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-07, 20:53

celebrian23 wrote:Wícokaŋhiyaya kiŋ tewahila! Na wamákaškaŋ tewicawahila! Mató kiŋ, igmú kiŋ, wakíŋyela kiŋ, šúnšuŋla kiŋ na magá kiŋ! Wamákaškaŋ kiŋ waštépi!

"I love the afternoon! And I love the animals! The bear, the cat, the dove, the mule and the goose! the animals are good!"

Šúŋka kiŋ wapápa Lakota 'easy' un
'easy' un... ?

The dog bark. Lakota is easy.

easy = iwaštégla

Lakota iwaštégla = Lakota is easy :)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-09-08, 12:57

I also wrote:
Tewicawahíla. tiwáhe kiŋ :D Na Temayahíla :lol:

"yes" na "no" = ???
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-08, 19:42

Aleco wrote:I also wrote:
Tewicawahíla. tiwáhe kiŋ :D Na Temayahíla :lol:

"yes" na "no" = ???

I love them. The family :D And you love me :lol:

yes: haŋ
no: hiyá

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-09-10, 20:06

To see =
Conjugated after =

Nero

Postby Nero » 2006-09-10, 20:23

Aleco wrote:To see =
Conjugated after =

"to see" is actually a different conjugation form, called a "y-stem" verb. I'm still learning this form myself, so there may be a mistake

waŋyáŋka = dictionary form (3rd person)

waŋbláke = I see it
waŋláke = You see it
waŋyáŋka = he/she/it sees it
waŋunyáŋkapi = We see it
waŋlákapi = you all see
waŋyáŋkapi = They see it

waŋciyáŋke = I see you
etc

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”