TAC 2022 - voron

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

voron
Language Forum Moderator
TAC 2022 - voron

Postby voron » 2022-05-06, 13:52

Hey guys, long time no see!

Last couple of years have been very chaotic with COVID and stuff, and I didn't do any languages at all... want to get back on track this year, let's see how it goes.

I have same old list of 3 languages on my plate which is Turkish, Kurdish and Arabic.
- Turkish: I've been living in Turkey for the last few years and use Turkish daily, so it's not bad -- I passed a C1 exam 3 years ago and now approaching C2, although my vocabulary is somewhat lacking on the academic/professional side, because I neither study nor work here. Best I can do to improve it is to read more.

- Arabic: became totally rusty. Just yesterday I tried to have a convo with a Syrian and I was struggling with basic words and inflections. :( Not even sure if I want to revive it, after all these years of studying it on and off I feel like I'm still a beginner. I will gladly take part in discussions about Arabic, but not necessarily do anything to improve it. (Maybe except reading those graded readers that I bought a few years ago?..) Also do you guys know if any new films or youtube channels appeared recently in Arabic dialects which are subtitled exactly as spoken? A few years ago I found this channel which is exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm wondering if there's been anything new.
https://www.youtube.com/AJPlusArabic

- Kurmanji Kurdish: it's around B1 I think... I can read texts of medium difficulty and watch TV in the standard language, but it's still difficult for me to hold a non-basic conversation or understand dialects (and it's an absolute must because noone speaks the standard language except TV hosts). I am thinking of taking italki lessons.
Last edited by voron on 2022-07-05, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: TAC 2022 - voron

Postby voron » 2022-07-05, 13:29

I seem to have solved all the issues related to continuing my stay in Turkey; so I am going to try and resume my language learning. Nothing too crazy, I can start with 10-20 mins per day.

(ku) And a great way for me to resume learning Kurdish is to watch "Easy languages" videos. Yes, they added Kurdish last year -- isn't it super awesome? The dialect of Kurdish in the videos is Kurmanji, and they have some responses in Zazaki as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLiOaIg38JU

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”