Zhong Reads A Random Sentence A Day.

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: Zhong Reads A Random Sentence A Day.

Postby linguoboy » 2022-06-27, 15:18

azhong wrote:Q: If I combine the two sentences into one with a relative pronoun to replace "es", which should stands for the previous sentence, what RP should I use, "was" or "das"? Thank you.

Vielleicht hatte er auch gelogen. Ich konnte es nicht sagen.

-> Vielleicht hatte er auch gelogen, ___ Ich nicht sagen konnte.

(If following "es", I might use "das". According to what h34 told me earlier, however, it seemingly should be "was".)

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do here. Consider the English equivalents:

Maybe he also lied. I couldn't say it.

That's not exactly a natural pair of sentences and I don't know how you would combine them by replacing "it" with a relative pronoun.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

h34

Postby h34 » 2022-06-27, 16:05

linguoboy wrote:
azhong wrote:Q: If I combine the two sentences into one with a relative pronoun to replace "es", which should stands for the previous sentence, what RP should I use, "was" or "das"? Thank you.

Vielleicht hatte er auch gelogen. Ich konnte es nicht sagen.

-> Vielleicht hatte er auch gelogen, ___ Ich nicht sagen konnte.

(If following "es", I might use "das". According to what h34 told me earlier, however, it seemingly should be "was".)

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do here. Consider the English equivalents:

Maybe he also lied. I couldn't say it.

That's not exactly a natural pair of sentences and I don't know how you would combine them by replacing "it" with a relative pronoun.

I might be wrong but I think in this case he is using "nicht sagen können" in the sense of "not being able to tell":

Vielleicht hatte er auch gelogen. Ich konnte es nicht sagen. ≈ Maybe he also lied (/Maybe he had lied, too). I wasn't able to tell (/I couldn't tell) (whether he had lied).

Combining the two sentences with the relative pronoun "was" is possible and makes sense (although my translation attempts probably sound clumsy):

Vielleicht hatte er auch gelogen, was ich nicht sagen konnte. ≈ Maybe he (had) lied, too, which I wasn't able to tell.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-06-28, 9:59

Einen Traum hatte ich gestern Nacht. In diesem Traum hörte ich jemanden meinen Namen* aus der Ferne rufen.
(I had a dream last night. In that dream I heard someone.ACC call my name.ACC from a distance/from afar.)
► Show Spoiler

»Iss nicht mehr als einen Keks auf einmal«, sagte die Stimme im Traum. »Und leih mir etwas Geld.«
("Don't eat more than one cookie once at one time," said the voice in the dream. "And lend me some money.")
► Show Spoiler

Die Stimme weckte mich. Ich öffnete meine Augen und sah durch das Fenster etwas einige Sterne, die im am Himmel glitzerten, düsteres Zwielicht am Horizont.
(The voice woke me up. I opened my eyes and saw, through/out of the window.ACC, some stars glittering in the sky, gloomy twilight at the horizon.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by azhong on 2022-07-04, 2:47, edited 4 times in total.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-06-29, 5:33

Ich habe beschlossen, ihm zu verzeihen, nachdem ich die Sterne eine Zeitlang angestarrt* betrachtet hatte.
(I decided to forgive him after staring at stars for a while.)
► Show Spoiler

Als ich bei dem Nachthimmel zugesehen* in den Nachthimmel geschaut habe, habe ich das ganze Ereignis und meinen Ärger gut überlegt durchdacht.
(When I was watching the night sky, I carefully thought about the whole event and my anger.)
Beim Betrachten des Nachthimmels,...
([with the view.N of the night sky] When looking at the night sky, ...
► Show Spoiler

Der Himmel war riesengroß*/endlos weit, und die Sterne glitzerten ewig. Und dann habe ich gefühlt, dass es gar/überhaupt nichts war.
(The sky was vast/endlessly wide, and the stars glittered eternally. And then I felt it was nothing at all.)
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by azhong on 2022-07-04, 3:36, edited 8 times in total.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-06-30, 2:59

Last edited by azhong on 2022-11-03, 5:30, edited 2 times in total.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-07-02, 3:41

Last edited by azhong on 2022-09-14, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-07-02, 3:51

(Sätze lesen)
dem alten Jahr ade sagen.
(say so long to the end of the year.
Vorsatz fürs neue Jahr
(New Year's resolution/intention
von 10 Euro aufwärts
(from EUR 10 up
Du hast das wirklich erst jetzt / jetzt erst bemerkt?
(You really didn't notice that until now?
► Show Spoiler

Jetzt können Sie Ihre ganze Aufmerksamkeit auf die Straße richten.
(Now you are able to focus all of your attention on the road (ahead).
Gefällt es Ihnen? Wie gefällt Ihnen dieses Buch?
(Do you like it? How do you like this book?
► Show Spoiler

Elements in the sky:
► Show Spoiler

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-07-03, 3:52

(Sätze bilden)
Am Sonntags weckt mein Kind mich immer früh auf. Und dann machen und essen wir das Frühstück zusammen.
(My child always wakes me up early on Sundays. And then we make and eat breakfast together.)
► Show Spoiler

Ist im zweiten Satz etwas falsch?
(Is there anything wrong in the second sentence.M?
Es sollte nicht ganz dasselbe wie der erste Satz sein.
(It shouldn't be totally the same as the first sentence.

(Sätze lesen)
Die Demoinstallation ist eigentlich/praktisch dasselbe wie eine vollwertige Version mit einigen wenigen Einschränkungen.
(The demo installation is actually/virtually the same as a fully-fledged version with a few restrictions.
► Show Spoiler

happy ->happiness
► Show Spoiler

Versetzen Sie sich in meine Lage!
(Put yourself in my place!
Versetzen wir uns einen Augenblick zurück in das jüdische Leben der 60er- oder 70er-Jahre.
([Let's put us back]/Imagine for a moment [back into the Jewish life]/what Jewish life was like in the 1960s and 70s.
► Show Spoiler

Der Hof ist überdacht, zum Teil als Garten angelegt und im vorderen Bereich als Forum und Foyer genutzt.
(The yard is roofed over, part of it applied/invested as a garden and the front part is used as a forum and foyer.
► Show Spoiler

(en)What started as a small business is now a fully fledged company.
After years of study, Tim is now a fully fledged architect.
The chicks are expected to fledge in August.
The phone had been wrenched from/off the wall.
His hands were tied but he managed to wrench himself free.

► Show Spoiler

halo: a bright circle of light around something,
canopy: a cover fixed over a seat or bed, etc. for shelter or decoration
forum: in ancient Rome, the area in the middle of the town used for public business
foyer: a large open area just inside the entrance of a public building such as a theatre or a hotel, where people can wait and meet each other:

===
der Abend; -e; des Abends
singen| sang, gesungen |

h34

Postby h34 » 2022-07-03, 8:42

azhong wrote:⬆️

:?: (Sätze bilden)
Einen Traum hatte ich gestern Nacht. In diesem Traum hörte ich jemand¹ meinen Name² auf³ der Ferne rufen.
➡️ Einen Traum hatte ich gestern Nacht. In diesem Traum hörte ich jemanden¹ meinen Namen² aus³ der Ferne rufen.

(I had a dream last night. In that dream I heard someone call my name from a distance.)
► Show Spoiler

¹ There is a trend towards using the nominative form jemand in the accusative as well, but if you prefer a more formal/traditional style, you could add the accusative suffix -en.

² accusative case

³ from the distance, from afar = aus der Ferne

»Iss nicht mehr als ein¹ Keks ² einmal«, sagte die Stimme im Traum. »Und leih mir etwas Geld.«
➡️ »Iss nicht mehr als einen¹ Keks auf² einmal«, sagte die Stimme im Traum. »Und leih mir etwas Geld.«

("Don't eat more than one cookie once at one time," said the voice in the dream. "And lend me some money.")
► Show Spoiler

¹ accusative case

² X (number) at a time = X auf einmal

Die Stimme weckte mich. Ich öffnete meine Augen und sah, aus dem Fenster¹, etwas² Sterne, die im³ Himmel glitzerte², düsteres Zwielicht am Horizont.
➡️ Die Stimme weckte mich. Ich öffnete meine Augen und sah durch das Fenster¹ einige² Sterne, die am³ Himmel glitzerten², düsteres Zwielicht am Horizont.

(The voice woke me up. I opened my eyes and saw, out of the window, some stars glittering in the sky, gloomy twilight at the horizon.
► Show Spoiler

¹ Ich sah aus dem Fenster is correct, but if you add a description of what you see, durch das Fenster is more natural (at least in my opinion).

² Ich sah etwas X is correct if X is something uncountable (e. g. etwas Schmutz, etwas Staub); with countable objects in the plural, einige or ein paar is used. (That's why the verb glitzerten has to be in the plural.)

³ in vs. am + Himmel:
in the sky ≈ am Himmel
in heaven ≈ im Himmel

h34

Postby h34 » 2022-07-03, 17:45

Ich habe beschlossen, ihm zu verzeihen, nachdem ich die Sterne eine Zeitlang angestarrt* hatte. ➡️ Ich habe beschlossen, ihm zu verzeihen, nachdem ich die Sterne eine Zeitlang betrachtet* hatte.
(I decided to forgive him after staring at stars for a while.)
► Show Spoiler

* You could say angestarrt, but it has negative connotations. Betrachtet sounds more contemplative to me, so perhaps it would be a better option.
Although, on second thought, angestarrt could also imply that you made great efforts to get into a more contemplative mood in order to open your mind, allowing you to find a different approach. It's hard to tell.

Als ich bei dem Nachthimmel zugesehen habe¹, habe ich das ganz² Ereignis und meinen Ärger gut überlegt³.➡️ { Als ich in den Nachthimmel geschaut habe, / Beim Betrachten des Nachthimmels} habe ich das ganze² Ereignis und meinen Ärger durchdacht³.
(When I was watching the night sky, I carefully thought about the whole event and my anger.)
► Show Spoiler

¹ Bei X zusehen is used if X is an ongoing event or development. Here you could use schauen or a nominalized verb like Betrachten (≈watching, contemplating).

² das ganze Ereignis

³ durchdàcht < durchdènken (not a separable verb) ≈ to think thoroughly about something, to think something though

Der Himmel war riesengroß, und die Sterne glitzerte ewig. Und dann habe ich gefühlt, dass es gar/überhaupt nichts war. ➡️ Der Himmel war { riesengroß / endlos weit¹ }, und die Sterne glitzerten² ewig. Und dann habe ich gefühlt, dass es gar/überhaupt nichts war.
(The sky was vast, and the stars glittered eternally. And then I felt it was nothing at all.)
► Show Spoiler

¹ Perhaps endlos weit in order to emphasize the vastness, the extension of the sky (somehow as a contrast to the narrowness of one's own mind when you're in a state of anger about something that seems insignificant from a wider angle)

² plural

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-07-04, 15:20

(Sätze bilden)
Wer ist die Person, die jetzt meinen Rock tragt und mein Messer benutzt? Kenne ich ihn? Ist er einer meiner Freunde?
(Who is the person wearing my skirt and using my knife now? Do I know him? Is he one.NOM of my friends.GEN?)
Aber warte, warum sieht er dasselbe wie ich aus? Hier bin/stehe ich und dort ist/steht er. Was ist los? Träume jetzt ich?
(But wait, why does he look the same as me? I am/stand here and he is/stands there. What's the matter? Am I dreaming?)
► Show Spoiler

»Hallo!«, rief eine männliche Stimme nach mir fröhlich und laut. Auf die Stimme folgte ich, wandte mich und schaute den Mann an, der stand vor mir.
("Hello!", called a male voice towards me happily and loudly. I followed the voice, turned to him and looked at the man standing in front of me.
► Show Spoiler

Ich schaute sein Lächeln an und dacht nach, wusste aber nicht, wer er war. Darüber fühlte ich damals wirr/verwirrt.
(I looked at his smile and thought, but didn't know who he was. I felt baffled about it at the time.
► Show Spoiler

(Ein Absatz lesen)
Ein Mann will ein Bild aufhängen. Den Nagel hat er, nicht aber den Hammer. Der Nachbar hat einen. Also beschließt unser Mann, hinüberzugehen und ihn.himself auszuborgen.
► Show Spoiler

Doch da kommt ihm ein Zweifel: Was, wenn der Nachbar ihm.DAT den Hammer nicht leihen will? Gestern schon grüßte er ihn nur so flüchtig. Vielleicht war er in Eile.
► Show Spoiler

Aber vielleicht war die Eile nur vorgeschützt, und er hat etwas gegen ihn. Und was? Er hat ihm nichts angetan; der bildet sich da etwas ein.
► Show Spoiler

Sehr oft wird aber nur Ideologie vorgeschützt, wo es in Wirklichkeit um banale Dinge geht.
(Very often, however, only ideology.F is pretended when in reality it is about banal things.
Er schützte vor, seinen Notizblock vergessen zu haben.
(He claimed to have forgotten his notepad.M.
► Show Spoiler

(en) He was on his knees, pleading for help in finding his child.
She left early, pleading pressure of work.
The defendant pleaded not guilty to robbery with violence.
But the poetic relation between the two too often tends either to the banal or the meaningless.
► Show Spoiler

h34

Postby h34 » 2022-07-10, 13:31

Zeig mir das Anzeichen¹, dass du dieses Frühjahr nicht in Berlin warst. Oder ich werde ärgerlich, dass du dich auf meiner Geburtstagsfeier nicht gezeigt hast.➡️ Beweise mir¹, dass du dieses Frühjahr nicht in Berlin warst. Sonst ärgere ich mich², dass du dich auf meiner Geburtstagsfeier nicht gezeigt hast.
(Show me the evidence that you were not in Berlin this Spring. Or I will get angry that you didn't appear at my birthday party.)
Du hast mich verletzt, dass³ du zu meiner Feier nicht gekommen hast⁴.➡️Du hast mich verletzt, weil³ du zu meiner Feier nicht gekommen bist⁴.
(You have hurt me that you didn't come to my party.)
► Show Spoiler

¹ evidence ≈ Beweis
show me evidence ≈ zeig(e) mir einen/den Beweis / beweis(e) mir

² more natural

³ …, dass is possible here if you change the first part of the sentence: Du hast mich damit verletzt, dass …
But your version (except for the use of dass and hat, see below (⁴)) is quite natural, so I would suggest to replace dass by weil and leave everything else as it is.

gekommen bist < du bist gekommen (verbs of motion with sein)

Der Spiegel zeigte glitzernde Tränen in seinen Augen.✔️
(The mirror showed glittering.ADJ tears in his eyes.)
Der Spiegel glitzernd⁵ zeigte Tränen in seinen Augen.➡️Der Spiegel zeigte glitzernd⁵ Tränen in seinen Augen.
(The mirror glitteringly.ADV showed tears in his eyes.)

(Sätze lesen)
Diese Brandwunde wird eine hässliche Narbe hinterlassen.✔️
► Show Spoiler

⁵ just the word order

Der Brand brach im Hobbyraum im ersten Stock aus und breitete sich bis zum Treppenabsatz aus.✔️
(The fire started in the upstairs hobby room and spread to the landing.
► Show Spoiler

Die Wunde mit klarem Wasser auswaschen.✔️
(Bathe the wound with clear water.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

⁶ Everybody would understand what you mean but gebaute is more natural in this context.
Last edited by h34 on 2022-07-10, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

h34

Postby h34 » 2022-07-10, 18:13

Je dunkler es wurde, desto kälter wurde es und desto schwächer wurde ich.
(The darker it got, the colder it got and the weaker I got.
► Show Spoiler

Je mehr du Leute¹ hilfst, desto selbstbewusster wirst du.➡️Je mehr du Leuten¹ hilfst, desto selbstbewusster wirst du.
(The more you help people, the more self-confident you will become.)
► Show Spoiler

¹ dative plural: jemand hilft jemandem

Es hat ihn erstaunt, dass ich mich auf seiner Feier gezeigt hat².➡️Es hat ihn erstaunt, dass ich mich auf seiner Feier gezeigt habe².
(It astonished him that I appeared at his party.)
► Show Spoiler

Er staunte über mein Erscheinen.✔️
(He marveled at my showing up.
► Show Spoiler

Die Meisterschaft beginnt um 19:00 Uhr und endet gegen 21:00 Uhr.✔️
(The championship will start at 7pm and end at around 9.)
► Show Spoiler

(Sätze lesen)
Zeigen Sie es mir doch mal!✔️
(Show it to me, will you?
Der Gouverneur zeigte sich auf dem Fest.✔️
(The governor put in an appearance at the festival.
Sie zeigte sich erstaunt, dass ...✔️
(She expressed her astonishment [showed herself astonished] that ...✔️
► Show Spoiler

Versuch's doch mal!✔️
(Just go and try it!
Ich staune immer wieder über die Dummheit der Kunden.✔️
(I never cease to marvel at the stupidity of customers.
► Show Spoiler

Je eher, desto/umso besser.✔️
(The sooner, the better.)
Je mehr sie darüber nachdachte, desto besser gefiel ihr die Idee.✔️
(The more she thought.V_last about it, the more the idea✔️ pleased.V2 her.
► Show Spoiler

² dass ich mich gezeigt habe (1st person singular)

h34

Postby h34 » 2022-07-10, 18:32

(Sätze lesen)
dem alten Jahr ade sagen.
(say so long to the end of the year.✔️
Vorsatz fürs neue Jahr
(New Year's resolution/intention✔️
von 10 Euro aufwärts
(from EUR 10 up✔️
Du hast das wirklich erst jetzt / jetzt erst bemerkt?
(You really didn't notice that until now?✔️
► Show Spoiler

Jetzt können Sie Ihre ganze Aufmerksamkeit auf die Straße richten.✔️
(Now you are able to focus all of your attention on the road (ahead).✔️
Gefällt es Ihnen? Wie gefällt Ihnen dieses Buch?
(Do you like it? How do you like this book?✔️
► Show Spoiler

Elements in the sky:
► Show Spoiler

h34

Postby h34 » 2022-07-10, 18:50

(Sätze bilden)
Am Sonntags¹ weckt mein Kind mich immer früh auf. Und dann machen und essen wir das Frühstück zusammen.➡️ Sonntags¹ weckt mein Kind mich immer früh auf. Und dann machen und essen wir das Frühstück zusammen.
(My child always wakes me up early on Sundays. And then we make and eat breakfast together.)
► Show Spoiler

¹ on Sundays, each Sunday (regular occurrence/habit)
sonntags

on Sunday (once; a particular Sunday)
am Sonntag

(Of course there is some overlap; this is just meant to serve as a rule of thumb)

Ist im zweiten Satz etwas falsch?
(Is there anything wrong in the second sentence.M?
Es sollte nicht ganz dasselbe wie der erste Satz sein.
(It shouldn't be totally the same as the first sentence.

I think I would rather say: Er sollte mit dem ersten Satz nicht ganz identisch sein. or Er sollte nicht ganz identisch mit dem ersten Satz sein.

(Sätze lesen)
Die Demoinstallation ist eigentlich/praktisch dasselbe wie eine vollwertige Version mit einigen wenigen Einschränkungen.
(The demo installation is actually/virtually the same as a fully-fledged version with a few restrictions.✔️
► Show Spoiler

happy ->happiness
► Show Spoiler

Versetzen Sie sich in meine Lage!
(Put yourself in my place!✔️
Versetzen wir uns einen Augenblick zurück in das jüdische Leben der 60er- oder 70er-Jahre.
([Let's put us back]/Imagine for a moment [back into the Jewish life]/what Jewish life was like in the 1960s and 70s.✔️
► Show Spoiler

Der Hof ist überdacht, zum Teil als Garten angelegt und im vorderen Bereich als Forum und Foyer genutzt.
(The yard is roofed over, part of it applied/invested as a garden and the front part is used as a forum and foyer.✔️
► Show Spoiler

===
der Abend; -e; des Abends✔️
singen| sang, gesungen |✔️

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”