dEhiN's Language Journal

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
dEhiN's Language Journal

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 22:18

After closing my language log from a year or so ago to go post more on LLORG, and after abandoning that idea and log, I'm back creating this. I don't like the term TAC anymore (as I feel it's not relevant), but I think having some log/journal to keep track of my language goals and study could be helpful.

So, to start this journal, I'm going to use my current signature as a guide to cover the languages I'm currently studying and my goals for them.
Last edited by dEhiN on 2022-04-16, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Re: dEhiN's Language Journal

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 22:20

B1/2: (fr)
A1/2: (es)

French
I wrote B1/2 because my written skills might possible be peaking into the B2 range, but my oral skills are still in the B1 range, particularly my listening skills. I'm taking a conversation class at a local college from June to August. The class has the following description:
In this workshop, students enhance their French conversation skills through weekly discussions on current issues. Emphasis is placed on overall fluency, including vocabulary development, listening skills, and pronunciation.

I guess if I have any goals, they would generally be to improve my French skills as well as do well in this course I have this summer.

Spanish
Like French above, I wrote A1/2 because my written skills and general knowledge are probably in or creeping into the A2 range, but my oral skills would be still in A1. Actually, scratch that; it's probably more that my reading skill could be considered A2, but my listening, writing and speaking skills would all be A2. I do feel more comfortable with Spanish than with (Brazilian) Portuguese and Tamil though, so I'm hoping my assessment is correct. For now, apart from continuing to use Spanish whenever I can at work, I don't have any specific plans for Spanish. In fact, it's probably not even a focus at this specific point in time.
Last edited by dEhiN on 2022-04-16, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 22:28

A1: (pt-br)(ta-lk)
A0: (oc)

Portuguese
I'm not sure yet what I want to do with Portuguese. I guess, for now, just upkeep it. I get chances to do that on the Discord UL server, in the Romance languages channel since Osias is pretty active on there. It's a little sad for me that I've been focusing more on Spanish and forgotten a good chunk of the Portuguese I used to know, especially back in 2013 when I visited Brazil. I would say my level was maybe A2 cresting into B1 at best, but I still could hold a fairly basic conversation in Portuguese while in Brazil. Of course, that's to be expected. While I tried to hold onto Portuguese for a while, from about 2018 to 2020 I barely did any active language study, and since starting at my current job, for the past year, I've had need to use French and Spanish more after English.

Tamil
Several months ago, I started going through my Anki decks from several years ago. At first, I was relearning all the cards for my French, Spanish, Portuguese and Tamil decks, but then I settled into maintaining whatever cards I had learned in the others and just doing Tamil for new cards. It's actually been helpful, and I'm enjoying it. I feel that there will come a point where I want to make some more active moves to study Tamil, but that time isn't now. So, for now, I'll just continue using my deck to learn and practice.

Occitan
This is my first time adding Occitan to my active study list. I have had interest in Occitan for a long time now, but I think it's only been recently that I'm probably able to study it seriously. Currently, the active work comes from the La persona dejós de ieu / The person below me (in Occitan) thread. However, I have had a desire to create an Anki deck for all the vocab and grammar I've been learning while reply to that game. I think one thing that's stopping me is that I'd like to find a good pronunciation resource and learn the proper pronunciation for the Languedocian variety of Occitan, which is basically what I'm trying to learn. I feel like once I have the general pronunciation rules straight in my head, I can then start creating an Anki deck since I'll be able to read the cards correctly. Overall, though, I'm going to keep participating in that game thread (provided Osias continues and/or others join) and slowly pursue this longstanding interest I've had in Occitan.
Last edited by dEhiN on 2022-04-16, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 22:48

A0 (No active study): (sv)(gl)(ro)(an)

Swedish
Anyone who's been part of this forum for a while and read my various, previous language logs knows that I've studied Swedish actively before. And, just like any language you don't keep studying or actively using, I've forgotten stuff I've learned. But I still like Swedish and it still has a place in my heart as a language I'd one day like to get back to. I'm not sure when and, at a glance, I feel like despite being a native English speaker, I'll need to get more comfortable with Germanic language structures and sounds before pursuing Swedish. Well, I don't need to, but I'd in some ways like to.

Romanian
Similar to Occitan, I've had interest in Romanian for a while, even longer than I've been active on here. However, the few times I've attempted to study it - including back in December of 2020 where I did the most amount of learning - I've had a little more of a challenging time than I thought. I guess being East Romance, retaining some older Latinate grammatical structures, and having the amount of Slavic influence it does all contribute to the difficulty for me. I think if I'd ever spent any significant time learning Italian, some of those Latinate structures probably wouldn't scare me as much. This is all to say, I'm not sure I can see myself wanting to continue Romanian, but I also don't want to let it go.

Galician/Aragonese
Galician and Aragonese call to me, and I really want to start learning them. I just know that starting to study them alongside Occitan while I'm still in some sense a beginner in Spanish and Portuguese and only intermediate in French is probably not smart. So, for now, I'm going to keep them on the no active study list.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”