TAC 2022 Osias

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Osias
TAC 2022 Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-16, 17:37

I'll try again one thing I did back in 2017: do a TAC centered in streaming series, movies and other things I watch and their languages.

No, I don't pay for all those streaming apps. They are a combination of "first 30 days", "password shared with friends", "this one I actually pay a subscription" and other things like "Youtube is actually free".

(fr)French

Second season of Bridgerton on Netflix dubbed in French, literal subtitles (same thing as the audio) in French, secondary subtitles in English in case I don't understand something. There are many times I don't. :para:

I am often amazed by things I learn of French that turn out to be the same or very similar to Portuguese. I mean, of course, they are both Romance, but still...

Second season of Star Trek:Picard on Amazon Prime. Dubbed in French, original English CC subtitles. I prefer to read the original text even it's not an exact translation of the audio I'm hearing because, as a Trekker, I need to see both the literal quotes they do of Trek lore and, later, recognize the sentences mentioned by other fans when I read about the episode on Reddit, Twitter, TvTropes, Facebook, yes, I do all that for every Trek episode I watch, Wikipedia, blogs, I actually spend more time reading about the episode than its length in minutes.

There are some characters that speak in Spanish sometimes. But the audio quality in those moments is awful. They are unintelligible and the subtitles only say "Speaks in Spanish". I switched over to Spanish dubbing for Latin America and noticed they redubbed them for the sake of poor native speakers. :D :D
Last edited by Osias on 2022-04-19, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Osias

Re: TAC 2022 Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-17, 21:59

Osias wrote:Second season of Bridgerton on Netflix

I've finished it. The images are beautiful, the nature, the fashion, the woman. The story is hard to swallow. Even you accepting the artistic licence of a Regency England full of 'people of color' (I don't know if this is the best expression) and no racism at all, accept the absurd dillemas about their love lives and duty, the way the characters speak... Nobody talked like that in any time or parallel universe.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-04-19, 7:09

Osias, I hope my grammatical reminder won't be too offensive. I've found you use run-on sentences very often. All the colored commas introduce a run-on sentence because there are already two (bolded) verbs in your sentences. You need to add after the comma a coordinating conjunction like "and/but/or/for/nor/yet/so", or you need to replace the comma "," with a semicomma ";". I am not the most proper guy to help your English, though.
I'll try again one thing I did back in 2017, do a TAC centered in streaming series, movies and other things I watch and their languages.

No, I don't pay for all those streaming apps, they are a combination of "first 30 days"...

Of course, sometimes things are not that great, I'm just saying I can't remember any really bad food.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-19, 13:57

azhong wrote:I am not the most proper guy to help your English, though.

Thanks, anyway. I agree the commas are excessive. Even if the text was in Portuguese. I've never learned to use the ';', though. I'll try to improve the original post now.
Last edited by Osias on 2022-04-19, 14:00, edited 2 times in total.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-19, 13:59

[Renata Sorrah meme gif] Where's the 'bad food' food sentence?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-22, 6:07

Osias wrote:I've never learned to use the ';', though. I'll try to improve the original post now.

For me, the semicolon is kind of halfway I guess between the purpose of a comma and a full stop. So, it's like I have two basically distinct clauses, but they're linked in I guess a pragmatic sense. I could easily make them two sentences but choose not to because of the pragmatic linking.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-23, 16:42

Moon Knight, Disney Plus. Audio in (fr), subtitles in (en).

Four episodes, I'm liking. Until now no connection with the larger MCU whatsoever, but it's better that way than the (very) force references they put in Eternals.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-23, 17:12

Osias wrote:Moon Knight, Disney Plus. Audio in (fr), subtitles in (en).

Yeah, I've been watching it too and loving it! Even got my girlfriend into it and she's not a huge MCU fan. But, I don't trust my second language listening skills to do any audio other than English, especially for a show like Moon Knight. Maybe, I should go over each episode a second time using the approach you're taking.

Until now no connection with the larger MCU whatsoever, but it's better that way than the (very) forced references they put in Eternals.

You thought they were forced, huh? How so?
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-23, 17:31

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:Moon Knight, Disney Plus. Audio in (fr), subtitles in (en).

Yeah, I've been watching it too and loving it! Even got my girlfriend into it and she's not a huge MCU fan. But, I don't trust my second language listening skills to do any audio other than English, especially for a show like Moon Knight. Maybe, I should go over each episode a second time using the approach you're taking.

I sometimes do that. But mind you, with subtitles in English I understand everything. This is actually a problem because most of time I have to force myself to pay attention to the audio.

Until now no connection with the larger MCU whatsoever, but it's better that way than the (very) forced references they put in Eternals.

Silly typo.

You thought they were forced, huh? How so?

I'm not sure I can explain precisely, but in general they feel out of place, out of time or irrelevant. It doesn't seem what those characters would say in that scene if they existed in real life. The references clearly were put there to constantly remind us (unnecessarily) "Look, we are in the MCU, ok? Right? We are pals with Thor and Spider-boy, fellow kids!"

Moon Knight, on the other hand, mentions the movie Avatar, for example, at the exact right moment: the most wrong moment possible. What it's what we silly nerds do all the time in real life.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-25, 2:05

Euronews français en direct. Youtube. Mostly no subtitles. Mostly people speaking natively in French, sometimes people speaking other languages are dubbed over. Ads are sometimes subtitled in French.

So... Macron is reelected for the third time, uh? Or for a third mandate. Brazilian constitution forbids that. Originally it didn't even allow one reelection, but they gave money to enough congressmen to pass an constitution amendment and that's it. FHC got reelected. Just a normal Thursday in Brazilian politics.

Also Pope Francis made an discourse asking for peace. He always do that. All popes do that. I once saw the movie "The Shoes of the Fisherman" where the Chinese leader criticizes the current pope because he always ask for that kind of thing because it's cheap. He suffers no consequence for anything he does, he got no skin in the game. I don't think any Chinese or other country leader did that ever in real life.

Also: Ukraine, Ukraine, Ukraine. Every news station I tune is Ukraine. That's cause I'm not watching Brazilian news this holiday or it would be Carnaval, Carnaval, Carnaval.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-04-25, 2:27

The Canarval in Brazil is attractive to me according the news I've seen. Those sexy bikini girls and their sexy dances in my impression.

I am interested to know what comments you'll have on this festival as a local Brazilian. Thank you in advance.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-25, 2:48

My father taught me since I was little that Carnaval was literally the Party of the Devil. He taught that to everyone. He preached that. Some days people commit the biggest number of sins possible, use drugs, kill, drive under the influence and kill and die, have unprotected sex that lead to abortions later... Well, now I'm all grown, what can I say? That's actually all true, including people dressed as Satan. For me it's something innocuous but, for both my parents, dressing as the Demon was akin to worshipping him. It's kind of like Halloween in USA and I think the American fundamentalists say the same things about that.

Most of evangelicals in Brazil think the same way as them, and that time of the year (actual Carnaval days, not this long weekend, a special case) they 'flee' the city in groups, usually to some farm or resort, to do a 'retiro espiritual', or 'spiritual retreat/retirement/not-sure-the-word' where there's much prayer, lectures, bible reading and some family games. Many people joke those retiros are the 'carnaval de crente', or something like 'evangelical carnaval'. 'Crente' means 'believer', but Catholics playing carnaval also believe in something. As a grown-up, I'm now free to never go to a retiro espiritual again.

But then... All that is about the Carnaval as the party on the streets or clubs. What TV shows those days, 24 hours a day, is another thing: The Samba Schools competitive parade. And my parents (and other fundamentalists opinion) about that is different. And mine too. They think the parade is beautiful, creative, and such. But they disapprove the nudity. So as a kid I was forbid to watch the parade. Not that it mattered. I wasn't interested. I was at first happy I had no school for days and could watch the cartoons I couldn't. But noooo. TV only showed Carnaval. Evening movie in Sessão da Tarde? The parade again, for the third time. 6 PM soap opera? The characters stopped their daily dramas to do a Carnaval ball. Night news? How it was the Carnaval parade. I hated that. I still do.

That beautiful girls? They are beautiful. But with all that glitter and feathers and such and my hatred of Carnaval, I find it one of the most unattractive ways a girl can present.

And don't let me start complaining about the songs. :D

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-28, 1:45

Miss Congeniality. HBO Max. Audio original in (en) with subtitles also in (en).

I've never seen this movie before, but I knew almost everything about it, via memes, popcultural osmosis, comments from my wife, a huge Sandra Bullock fan, and the fact it's totally predictable. The only thing I didn't know and 'surprised' me was what a character actually was. I thought one of the girls was faking being a 'dumb blonde' while being secretly a genius physics professor. First, her major in physics was no secret and second, they seem to be portraying her as in the autism spectrum. It was interesting, as we see it first being played for laughs (a famous meme scene) and later for drama, as she realized she answered something too literally and sounded 'like rain man'.

An easy movie in an easy language (for the at this point of my life) just to take a break.
Last edited by Osias on 2022-04-28, 17:46, edited 3 times in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-28, 17:24

Osias wrote:Miss Congeniality. HBO Max. Audio original in (en) with subtitles also in (en).

I've never seen this movie before, but I knew almost anything everything about it, via memes, popcultural culture osmosis, comments from my wife, a huge Sandra Bullock fan, and the fact it's totally previsible (?). The only thing I didn't know and 'surprised' me was a character that I assumed was faking being a 'dumb blonde' but were was secretly a genius physics professor was another thing (?). First, her major in physics was no secret and second, they seem to be portraying her as in the autism spectrum. It was interesting, as we see it first being played for laughs (a famous meme scene) and later for drama, as she realized she answered something too literally and sounded 'like rain man'.

A few things:
  • "anything" signifies one while "everything" signifies all
  • while "cultural" is the adjectival form of "culture", the compound noun "pop culture" doesn't have a different adjectival form
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "previsible"
  • I'm also not sure what you mean by "was another thing"; it's not necessary in this sentence as you started with "the only thing I didn't know"

It's been a while since I watched that movie, but I didn't realize at the time that they were playing her off as on the autism spectrum. I just thought they were playing her off as a dumb blonde as you first thought as well.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-04-28, 17:42

Unlike in the games, I'll edit my posts here to fix the mistakes. I think this kind of make more sense here, being a blog and such.

dEhiN wrote:while "cultural" is the adjectival form of "culture", the compound noun "pop culture" doesn't have a different adjectival form

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... ralOsmosis

dEhiN wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "previsible"
Oooops, 'predictable'.

dEhiN wrote:I'm also not sure what you mean by "was another thing"; it's not necessary in this sentence as you started with "the only thing I didn't know"

The sentence got too long and become confusing. I'll re-write:

The only thing I didn't know and 'surprised' me was what a character actually was. I thought one of the girls was faking being a 'dumb blonde' while being secretly a genius physics professor. First, her major in physics ...

dEhiN wrote:It's been a while since I watched that movie, but I didn't realize at the time that they were playing her off as on the autism spectrum. I just thought they were playing her off as a dumb blonde as you first thought as well.

Beyond the joke I've mentioned above, she display some traits here and there like being 'savant' (not sure if it's the correct term) and learning all the 50 candidates names and her states and pictures from the pamphlet.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-05-02, 2:31

Bunny Drop (Usagi Drop). Amazon Prime. Audio in (ja), subtitles in (pt-br).

My wife actually picked that up at random on the app. At first she thought it was in Korean. I started to pay attention, noticed the "doushite" and Japanese first names and said it was in Japanese. Then I watched the rest with her.

A single guy adopts the daughter of his late father and starts to deal with the hardships of raising a child. He also has a crush on a fashion mother that's also single and has a son the same age as the girl.

Sometimes when an adult meets the girl, called "Rin", they says "ohaiou, Rin-chan". The subtitles could perfectly go with "oi, Rinzinha", a diminutive used with children exactly that way. Every adult here talks that way. But the text only have "oi, Rin". Also, a mangaka is called "artista de mangá" instead of more usual "desenhista de mangá". While is not incorrect, every desenhista is an artista, examples like those make me think they translated the subtitles from English. :hmm:

The movie is good, but the ending narration/discourse felt like a campaign to convince Japanese people to have more children. :silly: :silly:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”