TAC 2021 - Rí

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Rí.na.dTeangacha
Re: TAC 2021 - Rí

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-01-25, 17:57

I...I... what have I done! :lol:

No promises! But it would be nice to know what Malayalam is like, even if I never learn to speak it at all. Like, play around with it's grammar and vocab. I'm on a book-kick now, so if you know of any interesting books on Malayalam or a basic course in it I could pick up somewhere, I'd be interested to put in on my reading list.
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-01-25, 18:02

I'm sure Vijay would concer, but there isn't a lot in English. And even less that is worth the paper it's printed on. But there are Moag's course, and the CIIL materials. I can link to them when I get home, if noöne beats me to it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-01-25, 19:24

Rí, you know I have a thread where I write lessons for Malayalam?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-01-25, 19:35

vijayjohn wrote:Rí, you know I have a thread where I write lessons for Malayalam?

Where's the thread? I looked through the threads in the SA Languages board but couldn't find any Malayalam lessons.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-01-25, 20:03

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Rí, you know I have a thread where I write lessons for Malayalam?

Where's the thread? I looked through the threads in the SA Languages board but couldn't find any Malayalam lessons.

https://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=40941

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-01-25, 20:07

I can't recall a thread either, but maybe it's hidden well?
And Vijay beat me to it. :P

In the meantime, here are the links I promised:
https://www.coerll.utexas.edu/coerll/malayalam

https://english.bharatavani.in/book/an- ... malayalam/
(If this tickles your fancy, I have the audio I can share, but given your interest level I doubt that would be the case.)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2021-01-25, 20:55

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:Aw, thanks for thinking of me! :) I bet she is absolutely inundated with requests for lessons though. My goal for the moment is to plough on with the kanji, get myself up to reading level and then let loose on the books and manga I've got lying around. Once I've worked my way through some of that, I might find the motivation to take it to the conversational level again.

You're welcome! Yeah, that makes sense.
Please correct my mistakes!

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-01-25, 22:37

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

This is awesome, I will do this once I've conquered the 2200 Jouyou kanji. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-02-03, 6:32

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Thanks! :D

EDIT: Btw, I managed to move the discussion on the random language thread away from Irish specifically to a broader discussion about struggling with heritage languages. :P Never mind!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-02-03, 17:18

vijayjohn wrote:EDIT: Btw, I managed to move the discussion on the random language thread away from Irish specifically to a broader discussion about struggling with heritage languages. :P Never mind!

You're not as powerful as you think you are, Vijay!
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-02-03, 18:34

linguoboy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:EDIT: Btw, I managed to move the discussion on the random language thread away from Irish specifically to a broader discussion about struggling with heritage languages. :P Never mind!

You're not as powerful as you think you are, Vijay!

Sorry! It must be all that nonexistent moderation of the Hindi and South Asian forums from the past month or so getting to my head!

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-04-22, 12:50

Well past time for an update (we're nearly halfway through the year already!). Thankfully, unlike in previous years' TACs, my lack of having updated this is not a sign of having slacked off on my goals, but rather simply my not having written about my progress here.

(ja)
The goal was to finish RTK right up to 2200 kanji. When I hit around 1600 kanji, the amount of reviews I was doing plus the speed I was trying to go at started to unravel the whole process a bit. However, by that point, I already knew so many kanji that reading Japanese literature had become a reasonable ask, with only a relatively small portion of the kanji unknown to me. So I decided that instead of continuing further with RTK and instead of reviewing the kanji using flashcards, I would start reading and just make sure I read enough every day that that itself acts as sufficient revision of the kanji.
I started by reading some Japanese mangas I had at home, I read Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo and Dārin wa Gaikokujin. I then moved on to a book of short stories with glossary and notes called Read Real Japanese. The stories are all short contemporary fiction. I finished that and am now about halfway through another edition of Read Real Japanese which contains short essays. Once I’m done with that, I’ll move on to another book of short stories with no gloss but a bilingual text, and then after that on to full, Japanese-only modern literature. My intention is to continue to maintain a daily regime of reading something in Japanese for at least an hour or so every day.
I’ve also been reading through a book on Japanese linguistics. It’s not really a book for learning Japanese per se, but it gives me a better background knowledge of the intricacies of the grammar and usage, which is enjoyable in and of itself.

(ga)
Nothing really so far. I started reading Modern Irish, I’m reading it slowly as I’m mostly focusing on my Japanese reading and on reading other books in English and Portuguese. I’m going at it 10 pages a day, so it should take about a month to complete.

(pt-br)
I haven’t kept up with my objective of reading an article a day in Folha de São Paulo, I really need to get back to that! On the other hand, I’ve been enjoying a podcast called Naruhodo (yes, it’s in Portuguese despite the name being in Japanese). I have a huge pile of books in English I really want to read, but once a space opens up in my reading list I’ll fill it with some books in Portuguese.

(ru)
For fun, I’ve started Duolingo Russian. I’ve heard it’s not one of the better Duolingo courses, but I’m only interested in passive reading comprehension anyway, and how well or how quickly I develop Russian skills is waaaaay down at the bottom of my list of priorities, so I don’t particularly mind. Despite myself, I’m finding the Duolingo course quite fun.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-12, 2:36

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:(ja)
The goal was to finish RTK right up to 2200 kanji. When I hit around 1600 kanji, the amount of reviews I was doing plus the speed I was trying to go at started to unravel the whole process a bit. However, by that point, I already knew so many kanji that reading Japanese literature had become a reasonable ask, with only a relatively small portion of the kanji unknown to me. So I decided that instead of continuing further with RTK and instead of reviewing the kanji using flashcards, I would start reading and just make sure I read enough every day that that itself acts as sufficient revision of the kanji.

Aww, what happened to this?
Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-06-16, 20:04

Sorry Vijay, I ended up having to postpone my advances with Japanese (and languages in general), I have to focus on work :/

..but you know what, I will make some time for this, I'll start with 10 mins a day and let's see :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-16, 22:05

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:Sorry Vijay, I ended up having to postpone my advances with Japanese (and languages in general), I have to focus on work :/

Oh, that's okay. I totally understand this. :)
..but you know what, I will make some time for this, I'll start with 10 mins a day and let's see :)

This surprises me, though! :o

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-09-09, 15:45

vijayjohn wrote:

This surprises me, though! :o

Out of curiosity, did this ever actually happen?

I never posted new lessons here anyway, and I quit the other forum where I was posting new lessons. :para:

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”