oho 2021

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

oho
oho 2021

Postby oho » 2020-12-06, 21:11

So this year I would like to try and be a disciplined student. I don't want to stray away from my goals and bounce around from language to language aimlessly*. Needless to say, easier said than done.

Portuguese: B1-->B2

German: from 0 to A2

*kinda ironic for someone who has already changed the goals of his TAC.
Last edited by oho on 2020-12-28, 9:32, edited 1 time in total.

oho

Re: oho 2021 (Portuguese, German)

Postby oho » 2020-12-10, 16:19

Portuguese: I'm translating the short story "A última chuva do prisioneiro" by Mia Couto. It's my first text I'm translating from Portuguese.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2020-12-10, 21:17

Buona scelta. :yep:
Please correct my mistakes!

oho

Postby oho » 2020-12-10, 22:55

Car wrote:Buona scelta. :yep:

:mrgreen:

oho

Re: oho 2021

Postby oho » 2020-12-28, 10:06

oho wrote:So this year I would like to try and be a disciplined student.

So, so far I have been a disciplined student, just not with the languages I had in program. :mrgreen:

I've been studying Hebrew quite seriously for some time now and I intend to continue doing so. And although Hebrew will remain the only language which I intend to study on a regular (hopefully daily) basis, I'd like to fiddle with various languages on the side.

Romance languages: I intend to read stuff in them whenever I can / want to (I have several books in French, Portuguese and Spanish)

Japanese: I would like to learn hiragana, katakana and some basic kanji (I have two books that I bought months ago for this purpose)

Slovenian: one year ago I bought a grammar book that cost me quite some money :mrgreen:
and since I've long been fascinated by this language why not use it? :P My goal is quite modest though, that is to reach A1, maybe A2.

German: I think I'll wait the second half of 2021 before tackling German, my goal being quite modest for German too, that is A1.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-29, 5:29

oho wrote:So, so far I have been a disciplined student, just not with the languages I had in program.

You mean "in my schedule" or something?

oho

Postby oho » 2020-12-29, 7:51

vijayjohn wrote:
oho wrote:So, so far I have been a disciplined student, just not with the languages I had in program.

yep :mrgreen:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2020-12-29, 10:36

vijayjohn wrote:

I read that more like "had planned to study". We're probably not that far apart though.

oho

Postby oho » 2020-12-29, 10:59

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

I read that more like "had planned to study". We're probably not that far apart though.

yes that's what I meant lol I thought "in my schedule" meant the same thing.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-29, 18:00

oho wrote:
księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

yes that's what I meant lol I thought "in my schedule" meant the same thing.

So did I! :P

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-04, 12:39

I finally bought a library for my language book collection. I sold many books over the years so it's really nothing impressive but I'm happy that I'm finally able to display them in a library.

rsz_img_20210104_124311.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-01-04, 15:14

A library??? I call that a shelf.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-04, 18:39

whoops I always forget the word "bookcase"

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-01-11, 0:13

Osias wrote:A library??? I call that a shelf.

Depends...in this case, since oho was referring to the whole unit with both shelves, bookcase is correct. If the focus was just on the one shelf, then bookshelf is correct.

oho wrote:I finally bought a library for my language book collection. I sold many books over the years so it's really nothing impressive but I'm happy that I'm finally able to display them in a library.

You're right to correct what you said to bookcase, but you could also use library here, but in a different way. For example, if the books displayed were your entire collection of language books, you could call it your library. But, then you wouldn't use the phrase "bought a library"; something like "I finally created/established/put together a library" would work. In that case, both "of my" and "for my" work, though I personally would lean toward "for my." Also, in that case, your final sentence makes sense and could stay:

I finally put together a library for my language book collection. I sold many books over the years, so it's really nothing impressive, but I'm happy that I'm finally able to display them in a library.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-01-11, 1:04

That's an interesting case of Portuguese agreeing more with English then with Italian.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2021-01-11, 9:50

In Italian libreria means both "book store" and "book case" (furniture).

On the other hand "library" is biblioteca, but "library" in computer programming is libreria. :roll:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-01-11, 9:59

OldBoring wrote:In Italian libreria means both "book store" and "book case" (furniture).

On the other hand "library" is biblioteca, but "library" in computer programming is libreria. :roll:

I never thought of the possibility that "library" in a programming sense could have a different translation in other languages! It makes sense though; even though "library" is used in English, a programming library is just a standardized collection of computer programming code that can be reused. In a sense, it's not the same idea as a library of books.

ETA: I almost forgot...
Osias wrote:That's an interesting case of Portuguese agreeing more with English thean with Italian.

Then is time, so "now and then"; than is a comparison.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-15, 20:45

Hebrew: pa'al✓ nif'al✓ pi'el<work in progress>

Slovenian: masculine declension✓ feminine✓ neuter<work in progress>

Some remarks:

-Can't wait to receive my Hebrew exercise book. I really need to practice the language, especially verb conjugations. I tried writing some text on journaly but I'm too lazy and it's not easy to come up with something to write. For the time being, I'm chatting with people on tandem and I've started reading a children's story.

-I really need to find an exercise book for Slovenian otherwise I doubt I'll ever really cement my knowledge of the declensions.

-Today I got my first semantics book. It's a domain of linguistics that I've never studied and I'm really excited about it. I'm curious also because I've seen a bunch of weird memes about semantics that made me wonder what the fuss is about this discipline. :lol:

rsz_img_20210115_214131.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-20, 14:51

I also got this two beauties:

rsz_img_20210120_155519.jpg

And my linguistics bookshelf got an upgrade:

rsz_img_20210120_154117.jpg
Last edited by oho on 2021-02-04, 16:55, edited 4 times in total.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-24, 16:00

Spurred by this video, I decided to start tracking my daily progress on a notebook, and I have to say it's a really good idea that I have never thought about. I've also created a twitter account for the same reason.

I'm slowly but finally approaching the intermediate level in Hebrew, and I'm not sure whether I'd better channel all of my energies into Hebrew for the time being or leave some 10-20% of my energies to dabble in Slovenian. I was thinking maybe I could study Slovenian on the weekends but I'm not sure how profitable that would be. Maybe I'd better postpone Slovenian for a while.

(he) Some of the things I'm doing:

-Chatting on Tandem
-Listening to a podcast about LGBT+ issues
-Reading articles and children's stories
-Exercises from "Modern Hebrew for Intermediate Students" by Esther Raizen

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”