oho 2021

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

oho
Re: oho 2021

Postby oho » 2021-01-25, 14:16

My TAC needs some pruning:

oho wrote:Romance languages: I intend to read stuff in them whenever I can / want to (I have several books in French, Portuguese and Spanish)

Japanese: I would like to learn hiragana, katakana and some basic kanji (I have two books that I bought months ago for this purpose)

Don't care about those anymore, they would just eat into my time for Hebrew.

Slovenian: one year ago I bought a grammar book that cost me quite some money :mrgreen: and since I've long been fascinated by this language why not use it? :P My goal is quite modest though, that is to reach A1, maybe A2.

German: I think I'll wait the second half of 2021 before tackling German, my goal being quite modest for German too, that is A1.

Sorry Slovenian, It's been a nice, short relationship (and an expensive one at that) but I think it needs to end for now (I will almost definitely get back at you in the future though). For this year I prefer to focus on German for several reasons.

So yeah, after many trials and erros I think I've found the languages for my TAC: (he) (de)

Now, the problem is, I'm very actively learning Hebrew right now, and I also have a thing called life that sometimes gets in the way of learning languages so I'm not sure where to fit German...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-01-25, 20:08

oho wrote:get back at you

Did you mean "get back to you"? To me at least, "get back at you" would mean 'take revenge on you' or something similar. :P
trials and errors

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-01-25, 20:16

vijayjohn wrote:
oho wrote:get back at you

Did you mean "get back to you"? To me at least, "get back at you" would mean 'take revenge on you' or something similar. :P

I didn't even notice that the first time I read it. Eagle-eye Vijay over here. :P

And I would agree with your understanding on "get back at".
Last edited by księżycowy on 2021-01-25, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-25, 20:27

Aaah prepositions...

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-26, 19:45

So I'm going to try this approach: Hebrew every day for about one hour, German on the weekends only (for about an hour). I'll try this out for a while and see how it goes.

I'm also not sure what to make of "goals" anymore. At the beginning of my TAC I set very specific goals for each language, but I'm more interested in building regular habits than setting goals, this change in approach in due to a book that was suggested to me by my shrink: The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiPxLpYlw4I

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-01-27, 1:47

Thanks for sharing that video! I quite liked that, and without being able to put it into words before, I've definitely felt the stress and anxiety that comes from being so goal-focused. In fact, it's frequently been a catalyst into my periods of self-doubt and anxiety cum depression as I'll get overwhelmed by the constant race to achieve goal after goal without taking time to appreciate the journey or the act of reaching a goal.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

oho

Postby oho » 2021-01-30, 19:46

I finally got a German grammar:

rsz_img_20210130_203453.jpg

And two Hebrew books for children

rsz_img_20210130_203542.jpg

The art is quite nice:

rsz_img_20210130_203551.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-02-02, 16:29

oho wrote:I finally got a German grammar

Which I'm not going to use until May because, if circumstances allow me, I'll be in Israel in May so I want to concentrate all of my energies on Hebrew.

I'll probably start taking Hebrew lessons on iTalki soon. I've always been a solitary learner but I'm beginning to realize that I need more human intereaction to improve my language skills.

The same is true for English quite frankly. I've always had a lot of input in English and a fair amount of written output, but I rarely speak the language and this needs to change. So again, iTalki might be the solution.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-02-04, 16:52

I said I would only study Hebrew until May but the more I look at the two majestic grammar books of Slovene and German that I have on my bookshelf the more I tell myself I cannot not study them.

Ugh I hate my inability to stick to a plan.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-02-05, 3:46

oho wrote:Ugh I hate my inability to stick to a plan.

Lol, welcome to the club! :lol: :whistle:
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

oho

Postby oho » 2021-02-05, 5:44

dEhiN wrote:

:lol:

oho

Postby oho » 2021-02-05, 7:37

oho wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

:lol:

From now on I think I'd better write what I'm actually doing rather than what I intend to do. So I don't have to rectify my plans every other day.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-02-05, 7:49

It is tougher, in my experience, when one has active reasons for trying to learn and achieve some level of fluency in a language. In fact, I've noticed that since taking a more laid-back approach to my language learning, the shifting of things like wanderlust, study plans, etc. don't phase me.

Contrast that to from about 2011 to 2018 when I wanted to become fluent in a ton of languages. I can see now that back then, I wasn't fully sure what I wanted to do as a career and I also struggled a lot more with my various mental health struggles throughout that time. It didn't help that those struggles, up until maybe 3 years ago, were such that I couldn't realistically think about working or a career. As a result, the main interest I was pursuing at the time - language studies - became my focal point for "proving myself a productive member of society".

Once I was able to (mostly) drop those thoughts and feelings of not being a productive member of society just because I didn't have a career and struggled with mental health, I was able to realize that for work, my main interest actually lay in computers and IT. So then, when I started engaging my language interests again back in December or so, I was able to do it from just the interest point of view. As a result, there isn't a drive' to prove myself with how many languages I know, etc.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-02-05, 8:24

I definitely do have active reasons for achieving some level of fluency in at least 2 out of my 3 languages. And I'm afraid having a laid-back approach is ok but won't work with me.

Also, I have to say that while some plans do change, there is a core that has remained stable and unchanged all of this time, that is Hebrew. I've never considered dropping Hebrew. Basically my plans swing between doing 100% Hebrew or doing 80% Hebrew and 20% a few secondary languages. So it's not like my plans are completely haphazard.

But enough will plans, from now on this will be a log where I write what I've done not what I'm going to do.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-02-05, 9:08

Hebrew: Lately I've been listening to this podcast about LGBT+ issues, even if I can understand 5% of it when I'm lucky :lol:

Slovenian: listening to Frekvenca X, can't understand anything but I think it's important to get used to the prosody and phonetics of the language.

oho

Postby oho » 2021-02-11, 10:21

Dear Unilangers, this is the third time I've deleted an account on this forum. Last time I promised myself that I would've never done that again and if I needed a break I'd just leave the forum for a while, keeping the account active. Well, I've changed my mind. There are a few things that I need to fix in my life and one of these is my relationship with technology and social media (and for me Unilang is social media). Basically, they're too much of a distraction for me. And Unilang is no exception: I know that as long as I have an active account on here, I will keep on compulsively checking the forum, that's why I need to delete it.

In 2019 I deleted FB and I felt so proud of myself, a few weeks ago I deleted twitter, now's the turn of Unilang and soon it will be Instagram's.

I hope we'll meet again one day when I am able to handle social media in a more healthy way, but for now, so long and thanks for all the fish.

Sincereley
Riccardo

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”