dEhiN's Language Log

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: ''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN

Re: Half-year TAC 2020 - dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-07-18, 2:22

I'm going to finally have a Tamil lesson tonight! Yay! Currently, I'm listening to Súbeme la radio by Enrique Iglesias on repeat. I've been listening to Spanish songs quite a bit lately whenever I'm driving. (Because of COVID and the potential health risks, I've been mostly staying at home, but every so often I'll take a drive to get out of the house). I've been using Amazon Music and really just putting on the radio function for Luís Fonsi, which sometimes gives me Spanglish pop, but I also get some actual Spanish songs. Anyway, this song came up tonight and fortunately Amazon's X-Lyrics service had the lyrics which sparked my interest in learning some Spanish. So, based on looking up the words in the chorus that I didn't know, I'm going to try my own translation of the chorus (without looking up a translation):

(es) Súbeme la radio que esta es mi canción
(es) Siente el bajo que va subiendo
(es) Tráeme el alcohol que quita el dolor
(es) Hoy vamos a juntar la luna y el sol

(en) Turn up the radio, this is my song
(en) Feel the bass that's coming
(en) Give me alcohol to take away the pain
(en) Today, let's join the moon and the sun

If that's correct, then I understand the last line as basically saying, "let's go all night (until the sun comes up)".
N: (en-ca) B1: ((fr)) A1: ((pt-br) (es) (ta-lk)) A0: (sv) ((ro))
Brackets indicate no active study

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-07-18, 4:35

dEhiN wrote:I was thinking about this the other day with French: the difference between using a foreign word when speaking another language because I know that's the translation of the English word I'd use in that context, versus using it because I implicitly know that word conveys the correct mental sense I'd like to express. (I'm sure there's a much more elegant linguistic way of saying that, but I can't think of the linguistic term for mental sense!)

Can't say if there's an elegant term, but I think I'd call the former level "translating from English." For me, that phrase means a learner is still fundamentally thinking in English and then turning those thoughts into speech in the target language. Once you gain a more intuitive grasp of the language, you can start forming utterances without having to first figure out what you'd say in English.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2020-07-19, 21:43

dEhiN wrote:
Car wrote:Yes. I mean just look at all the possible translations here.

I'm curious: even though there are several possible translations into English, for a German speaker, does bis convey one sense or idea mentally? Or is it similar to a word like get for English speakers, where it's not just used in varied contexts but each use conveys a different sense mentally?

I've never thought about it, so I'm not sure, but I think it's one idea (not talking about the music sense as that's a Latin loan that just happens to be spelt/ pronounced the same).
Please correct my mistakes!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-07-20, 2:34

Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:I was thinking about this the other day with French: the difference between using a foreign word when speaking another language because I know that's the translation of the English word I'd use in that context, versus using it because I implicitly know that word conveys the correct mental sense I'd like to express. (I'm sure there's a much more elegant linguistic way of saying that, but I can't think of the linguistic term for mental sense!)

Can't say if there's an elegant term, but I think I'd call the former level "translating from English." For me, that phrase means a learner is still fundamentally thinking in English and then turning those thoughts into speech in the target language. Once you gain a more intuitive grasp of the language, you can start forming utterances without having to first figure out what you'd say in English.

Merci! I think for me, the annoying phase in language learning is the mixed phase - where I'm translating from English for some sentences or even words in a sentence but also have that intuitive grasp in other areas.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-12-29, 20:20

Hi all, so recently I started doing some active language learning! Since my last post on this TAC, I don't think I've really done anything major. But on Christmas (well, technically on the 26th in the early, early morning), I got back into Duolingo for the first time in a couple of years. I'll give a "quick" rundown of what I did. (Since we all know my "quick" explanations are relatively lengthy, I'm going to split this post into two.)

French (fr) French - Since my last post on here, I've made the odd attempt to use and improve my French mostly by communicating with my partner. She's forgotten some of her French, but having done both French Immersion in grade school and then a Bachelors in French Language at university, she still has a good innate sense of what works or doesn't when it comes to things like French syntax and whether a phrase sounds natural or not. I also started listening to some French R&B/rap music briefly about a month ago. However, the more significant active learning has been over the past 3 days with Duo. All the skills up to Checkpoint 1 were still active, though they were just on Level 1. So, I tested out of all of them up to Level 3 (or the highest level I could, such as Present Tense 1 which only went to Level 2). Since then, I've also done up to Level 2 on the first 6 skills in Section 2, but I did those the old-fashioned way of going through each lesson. So then, for my own tracking and for the interest of anyone who cares, here's where I sit with the Duo French tree:

Section 1:
Basics 1, Greetings, Basics 2, People, Travel, Family, Activities, People 2, Family 2, Restaurant - 3/5
Flirting, Christmas, Idioms - 1/1
Present Tense 1 - 2/2

Section 2:
City, Travel 2, At Home, At Work, Food - 2/5
Agreement - 2/2

I also went through the first 2 Sets of Stories for French, meaning a total of 8 Stories. Unfortunately, Duo doesn't have them for every language, but they seem to be a good way to practice reading and listening simultaneously.

Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR) Portuguese - Since my last post, I've done almost nothing for Portuguese even by way of passive learning. At about the start of December or so, I took a break from Facebook for mental health reasons. However, prior to that, I would see the occasional Portuguese meme (usually, Brazilian Portuguese I think) which I would attempt to read. I think I could grasp up to about half the meme on average. Over Christmas, my partner and I watched A Primeira Tentação de Cristo, which is a 2019 religious satire film by the Brazilian comedy troupe Porta dos Fundos. We had subs on obviously, but for me it was quite enjoyable hearing the Portuguese alongside reading the English. I could pick up a good amount of the words. As far Duo is concerned, when I restarted, all the skills in Section 1 and the first 4 skills in Section 2 were at either Level 1 or 2. I went through the lessons to bring those skills up to Level 3, though I may have tested out of a few of them. I also did the 5th and 6th skills in Section 2 up to Level 3. So, for tracking purposes, here's where I sit with the Duo (Brazilian) Portuguese tree:

Section 1:
Basics 1 - 4/5
Basics 2, Phrases, Phrases 2, Food 1, Animals, Plurals - 3/5
Christmas - 1/1

Section 2:
Tu/Você, "A gente"*, Adjectives 1, Possession, Prepositions 1, Contraction - 3/5

I also went through the first 2 Stories for (Brazilian) Portuguese. *The "A gente" skill is all about the use of a gente as we/us, depending on subject or object use. For some reason though, I'm finding it easier to read a gente as us when it's an object, than as we for subject. When I see the phrase in subject form, I first read it as the people, which is the literal translation.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-12-29, 22:17

Swedish (sv) Swedish - I don't recall now if I've done anything for Swedish this past year at all. I don't believe I have, except for using the odd Swedish word in the UniLang Whatsapp chat. When I restarted Duo, I had either the first 5 or first 7 skills in Section 1 all at Level 1. I worked my way through all the lessons and now have the first 7 skills at Level 3. I noticed that in the beginning, the really basic words - like greetings, family members, gender classification, etc. - came back to me pretty quickly. However, as I got into more content - like food and animals - things became harder and it was more like remembering a long-forgotten memory. The 6th and 7th skills are called Definites and Plurals, respectively, and those two were quite hard. I guess remembering how articles worked in Swedish wasn't too hard - that came back to me quite quickly. But recalling article and gender with all the food and animal vocabulary was challenging. Once I moved onto plurals, things got even more difficult. I did quite well in the end and didn't make that many mistakes for the Plurals lessons, but that was mostly because I would keep clicking on the words to confirm my suspicions. I guess repetition is a good thing in the end though. One thing I think I'll do going forward is try to level up several skills at a time. By that I mean I want to have each new skill be at Level 3, and I've been doing that by focusing on one skill at a time. Some skills have like 5 lessons, so that amounts to 10-15 lessons in a row on just the one skill content. It's good repetition but also gets a little tedious. I think if I were to do the 5 lessons, level up that skill, then do the same for the next skill, then go back and do 5 more lessons to reach the next level, etc., I might not feel like I'm grinding so much. So, for tracking purposes, here's where I sit with the Duo Swedish tree:

Section 1:
Basics, Basics 2, Phrases, Food, Animals, Definites, Plurals - 3/5

Unfortunately, Duo doesn't have Stories for Swedish (hopefully they get some soon!), and I also found out that the Android app version doesn't show the tips for each skill. I had to go back and read the skill tips on my laptop.

Spanish (es) Spanish - I haven't done anything for Spanish at all this year (or at least, these past several months). I decided some months back to not try and maintain an interest in both Spanish and Portuguese as it's too confusing for me. Instead, I decided to focus on Portuguese, and so even with Duo, I'm not touching my Spanish tree. Currently, my tree shows I have 2 skills at Level 2, with 2 of 3 lessons completed in the first skill toward Level 3. However, as tempted as I've been to try and do Spanish, I'm holding off while I focus on Portuguese. I haven't given up on Spanish per se, but I don't want to confuse myself. So, for tracking purposes, here's where I sit with the Duo Spanish tree:

Section 1:
Intro, Phrases - 2/5
Intro -- 2/3 lessons complete toward Level 3

One thing I should note is that even though Duo Spanish uses the Spain flag (and so I've done the same), my understanding is that Duo teaches a general Latin American variety of Spanish.

Romanian (ro) Romanian - I don't believe I've studied any Romanian in the past, although I've always been interested in it. Something about the sounds of Romanian really entice me. Recently I got into it again through watching some YouTube videos. Funnily enough, it was through watching the Christmas church services of a Romanian Protestant church called BBSO. (At least, that's their Youtube channel name). I had subscribed to them several years ago, and one night while bored, I saw they were uploading Christmas church services to their channel, so I checked one out. Even though I'm not a Christian anymore, and even though I obviously couldn't understand what they were saying and singing, for the Christmas carols, I was able to follow along a little bit. I decided to look up the English words to some of the carol melodies I recognized, and followed along. Fortunately, the church had added the song lyrics on the video itself, so I could correlate roughly the English lyrics with the Romanian ones. I even learned a couple of words doing that! As a result of this, when I restarted things in Duo, I started the Romanian tree for the first time. I only finished the first skill up to Level 1, but it's a start. So, for tracking purposes, here's where I sit with the Duo Romanian tree:

Section 1:
Basics 1 - 1/5
Basics 2 -- 1/6 lessons complete toward Level 1

Just like with Swedish, the Android version of Duo doesn't seem to show the skill tips for Romanian, which is a real shame. As a result, I ended up leveling up the Basics skill to Level 1 without reading any of the tips, although reading it afterward helped solidify some things that confused me during the lessons.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-12-29, 22:29

I'm also going to post a Duo summary of the level and XP amounts I have in each language, as well as a gripe/review of the current state of Duo as a language learning service (which I'll enclose in spoiler tags).

Duo Summary:
French (fr) French - level 11, 3120 XP, 62 crowns
Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Portuguese - level 9, 1658 XP, 42 crowns
Swedish (sv) Swedish - level 8, 1206 XP, 21 crowns
Spanish (es) Spanish - level 7, 780 XP, 6 crowns
Romanian (ro) Romanian - level 2, 90 XP, 1 crown

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by dEhiN on 2021-01-01, 1:52, edited 1 time in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-12-29, 22:57

So I just finished the Flirting skill for Portuguese, and omg, the lines were so funny and corny!

Here are some of the corny ones:

Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR) Se você fosse uma estrela, eu seria um astrônomo.
Canadian English (en-CA) If you were a star, I would be an astronomer. (Although, Duo translated it as stargazer.)

Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR) Eu beberia o mar se você fosse o sal.
Canadian English (en-CA) I would drink the sea if you were the salt.

Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR) Eu sou novo na cidade, pode me ensinar o caminho até seu coração?
Canadian English (en-CA) I'm new to town, could you teach me the way to your heart?

There were also some creepy lines, depending of course on context and intonation:

Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR) Eu gostei do que vi...
Canadian English (en-CA) I like what I see... (Duo even had us include the ellipsis in the translation!)

Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR) Você quer uma carona?
Canadian English (en-CA) Would you like a ride?

And my favourite:

Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR) Você está procurando boa companhia?
Canadian English (en-CA) Would you like some good company?

Now, I don't know of any language where such a line would work, apart from maybe for a sex worker! :lol:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-12-29, 23:28

I don't think even that.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-12-29, 23:32

Osias wrote:I don't think even that.

Exactly! The French tree also has a Flirting skill, which I did a few years ago, so I don't remember the phrases now. But I just couldn't believe that. Although, I did learn a new word carona and got to practice verb conjugation in tenses other than present.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-12-29, 23:48

Keep in mind carona is mostly used for a free ride and paid rides are mostly called "viagem".
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-12-29, 23:57

Osias wrote:Keep in mind carona is mostly used for a free ride and paid rides are mostly called "viagem".

Ok, I didn't know that. So, would "viagem" be used for both Uber and taxis? Also, would I use "carona" for like if I didn't have a car and my roommate, who had one, was going out, and I needed a ride somewhere?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-12-30, 0:08

Yes and yes.

If you are on/at the road signing to cars/trucks you are 'pedindo carona' and if you succeed you are 'pegando carona'.

The refrain of this song talks about 'pegar carona' in a comet's tail to come back to Earth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFVgFGfYevg

But I think this is the best version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL939xiN-aA

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-12-30, 2:27

On this forum, you can rest assured that a number of us at least don't exactly sing the praises of Duolingo.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-12-30, 3:02

vijayjohn wrote:On this forum, you can rest assured that a number of us at least don't exactly sing the praises of Duolingo.

Lol, yeah I definitely remember that! I haven't really as well; I mean at one point I liked it, then I turned away from it. Currently I'm finding it helpful, though I'm taking a casual approach to language learning. That's also why I'm calling it language learning instead of language study. While I still want to improve my French, I'm in no rush to get to a particular degree of fluency in any language, and so I'm finding Duo is helping to at least keep me in active language learning mode. But, trust me, I'm under no illusion that Duo will "teach" me a language, regardless of the company's claims and I'm fully aware of Duo's limitations.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-01-01, 1:52

Duo update time (this indicates an increase in a skill level or language stat):

French (fr) French
Section 1:
Basics 1, Greetings, Basics 2, People, Travel, Family, Activities, People 2, Family 2, Restaurant - 3/5
Present Tense - 2/2
Flirting, Christmas, Idioms - 1/1

Section 2:
City, Travel 2, At Home, At Work, Food, Habits, Shopping - 3/5
Agreement - 2/2

Language Summary: Level 12, 3920 XP, 73 crowns

Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Portuguese
Section 1:
Basics 1 - 4/5
Basics 2, Phrases, Phrases 2, Food 1, Animals, Plurals - 3/5
Christmas, Flirting - 1/1

Section 2:
Tu/Você, "A gente", Adjectives 1, Possession, Prepositions 1, Contractions - 3/5
Clothing -- 2/5 lessons complete toward Level 1
Food 2 -- 2/6 lessons complete toward Level 1

Language Summary: Level 9, 1744 XP, 42 crowns

Swedish (sv) Swedish
Section 1:
Basics, Basics 2, Phrases, Food, Animals, Definites, Plurals - 3/5

Language Summary: Level 8, 1236 XP, 21 crowns

Romanian (ro) Romanian
Section 1:
Basics 1 - 1/5
Basics 1 -- 1/5 lessons complete toward Level 2
Basics 2 -- 1/6 lessons complete toward Level 1

Language Summary: Level 3, 125 XP, 1 crown

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-01-01, 2:14

So, as you can see from the update, I've been working quite a bit over the past 2-3 days. I did the most in French, finishing something like 55 lessons today. Basically all of it was review, though as far as the Duo tree is concerned, I did the 2 new skills Habits and Shopping plus brought them up to Level 3. I also brought up all the other skills in Section 2 to Level 3. While it was all really review for me in terms of having learned the words and grammar points already, some of the words I hadn't used in a long time and had forgotten them. I also had to pay attention because I did make some mistakes, including translating apple as pomme de terre once! :shock: :oops:

I only gained some XP in Portuguese by starting Clothing and Food 2, doing 2 lessons apiece. But yesterday my main focus was Romanian and Swedish. I didn't do any new skills or lessons in Swedish, but I did some practice thrice. This really helped me solidify the various indefinite and definite plural forms as well as contrast them to the indefinite and definite singular forms. I'm a little concerned about moving forward in Swedish still, so I think I might try and do some more practice tomorrow. Another option is to specifically target the skills Definites and Plurals, but I like the idea of, for now, getting and keeping every skill at Level 3.

I also did some Romanian practice and one lesson in Basics toward Level 2. The practice was helpful in distinguishing indefinite and definite singular and plural forms, which, just like in Swedish, I was having a hard time remembering. I was also having a hard time remembering the conjugations for a fi "to be", a mânca "to eat", a bea "to drink", and a avea "to have". The practice helped with those somewhat, but I might need to go outside of Duo and write down conjugation tables, since some structured grammar helps me quite a bit. Duo does have conjugation tables for popular languages, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to include Romanian (or Swedish). I'm also trying to figure out whether the <e> being pronounced as /ie/ only applies word initially, or any vowel digraph starting with <e>. For example, the Duo audio seems to pronounce eu as /ieu/ and ea as /iea/, which is also what the tips for Basics mentioned. But, the Duo audio also seems to pronounce bea as /biea/, or well, rather, it sounds more like /bja/ with a very quick /j/. So, I'm not sure then if all conjugated forms of a bea should have the <ea> pronounced as /ja/, /iea/ or just /ea/.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-01-04, 8:16

Duo update time! This indicates an increase in a skill level or language stat. I've also decided to structure things a little differently.

French (fr) French
Section 1:
Level 3/5 - Basics 1, Greetings, Basics 2, People, Travel, Family, Activities, People 2, Family 2, Restaurant
Level 2/2 - Present Tense
Level 1/1 - Flirting, Christmas, Idioms

Section 2:
Level 3/5 - City, Travel 2, At Home, At Work, Food, Habits, Shopping
Level 2/2 - Agreement
Level 1/5 - People 3
Level 0/5 - City 2 (2/5 lessons complete toward Level 1)

Language Summary: Level 12, 4020 XP, 74 crowns

Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Portuguese
Section 1:
Level 4/5 - Basics 1
Level 3/5 - Basics 2, Phrases, Phrases 2, Food 1, Animals, Plurals, Tu/Você, "A gente", Adjectives 1, Possession, Prepositions 1, Contractions, Clothing, Food 2
Level 1/1 - Christmas, Flirting, Idioms

Language Summary: Level 9, 2208 XP, 49 crowns

Swedish (sv) Swedish
Section 1:
Level 3/5 - Basics, Basics 2, Phrases, Food, Animals, Definites, Plurals, Possessives, Pronouns Objective

Language Summary: Level 8, 1572 XP, 27 crowns

Romanian (ro) Romanian
Section 1:
Level 3/5 - Basics 1
Level 0/5 - Basics 2 (1/6 lessons complete toward Level 1)

Language Summary: Level 4, 257 XP, 3 crowns

Spanish (es) Spanish
Section 1:
Level 2/5 - Intro (2/3 lessons complete toward Level 3), Phrases

Language Summary: Level 7, 780 XP, 6 crown

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-01-04, 8:33

Some notes about this Duo update:

Firstly, I included Spanish because I'm switching to a different layout to more easily see which skills are at a particular level, and since for the sake of ease, I'll just be quoting my last update when I do the next one, it'll be easier to have Spanish in the format. But I'm still holding off on Spanish. Secondly, I realized that the skills I had listed as Section 2 for Portuguese were actually still part of Section 1! I finally finished Section 1 for both Portuguese and Swedish! I also had to do like a short test for each language to get to open up Section 2, which doesn't really make sense to me. But if that's the way Duo does it now, it's not a big deal.

Duolingo has leaderboards to foster competition and encourage regular practice. When I started on December 26 (which I keep wanting to call Boxing Day, but then remember I don't think Americans know what that is!), I was in the Bronze League. There are 5 - Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum (I assume), and Diamond. The competitions seem to be about a week long, and the top 15 for Bronze and Silver move up a league, while the top 10 for Gold move up to whatever's next. Normally I'm not one for competitions because I don't usually do well and get discouraged easily. But this time around, I pushed myself for the past two competitions and moved up from Bronze to Gold! So now I'm in Gold for this week. I also got 1st place in both leagues, which meant I got a prize each time.

I mention about the prize stuff mostly to say that yesterday (Saturday for me), when I went onto Duo to do a lesson to keep my streak going, I saw that the weekly competition had ended and the new one had started. This led me to do more than just one lesson. I ended up doing enough lessons to get 479 XP yesterday and 253 XP today (yes, for anyone keeping track, it's 03:25 for me right now!), and currently I'm sitting in number 1 in the Gold league with 336 XP ahead of second place. But, as part of the lessons I did to get all this XP, I kept switching between Portuguese and Swedish to get the Portuguese skills Clothing and Food 2 as well as the Swedish skills Possessives and Object Pronouns (which they call Pronoun Objectives for some reason!) to level 3. The interesting thing for me was that because I kept switching - by bringing one or two skills in each language up a level, then switching languages to do the same - I struggled with confusing the two languages! It was very thrilling and frustrating for me because I was switching between a Romance and a Germanic language, and yet I would sometimes think of the Swedish possessive pronouns first if I had just level up Possessives and then started Clothing as an example.

The last point I'd like to add is that I realized that French is essentially my backup Duo language right now. This may stop at some point as I progress more on the tree, but for now, even material that is "new" as far as Duo is concerned is either review or old hat for me. I still admit to making mistakes, particularly when I'm going fast. But the good thing about this realization is that I can use French as a switch when I want to gain XP (say for the competitions) but have already done some of the other languages and need a mental break.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-01-04, 11:17

You're right to say that us Murakins don't generally know what Boxing Day is. A quick search leads me to believe it has something to do with this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”