dEhiN's Language Log

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: dEhiN's Language Log

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-04-03, 22:01

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Do you mean the reason why they used bâtit instead of construit and appuyant instead of soutenant?

Oui, exactement. Je sais que parfois, en anglais par exemple, j'ai un choix du mot dont que j'utilise. Mais, des mots ont associés aux connotations, et parfois, ce n'est pas juste un choix préféré.

I'm not sure what you meant by the part in orange. "But certain words are associated with certain connotations"? If that's what you meant, I think I'd say pourtant, certains mots sont associés à certaines connotations.

EDIT: And to answer your actual question, I think your guess is as good as mine. :D Maybe they did just happen to use those particular terms.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-04-03, 22:50

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Oui, exactement. Je sais que parfois, en anglais par exemple, j'ai un choix du mot dont que j'utilise. Mais, des mots ont associés aux connotations, et parfois, ce n'est pas juste un choix préféré.

I'm not sure what you meant by the part in orange. "But certain words are associated with certain connotations"? If that's what you meant, I think I'd say pourtant, certains mots sont associés à certaines connotations.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess I was trying to say it how I would in English: But, some words have associated connotations, and sometimes, it's not just about one's preference.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-04-03, 23:00

dEhiN wrote:it's not just about one's preference.

I think I'd (attempt to) translate this as il ne s'agit pas seulement d'une préférence.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-04-24, 17:05

(fr) / (fr) Je viens de lire un avertissement* par le Gouvernement du Canada sur le cannabis et les effets du cannabis. L'avertissement était écrit en anglais et français alors après ma copine a lit le côté d'anglais, j'ai lit le français. J'ai appris quelques mots nouveaux et aussi des signes de ponctuation:

néfastes - harmful, related to nefarious in English
nocives - harmful, related to noxious in English (I'm assuming?)
barre oblique - slash
barre oblique inverse - backslash
trait d'union - hyphen
arobase - @ symbol used in email
parentheses - brackets or parentheses

Pour les signes de ponctuation, j'avais appris barre oblique, barre oblique inverse, trait d'union et arobase mais je ne m'ai pas souvenu. Pour le Twitter, est-ce que le mot arobase utilisé ou seulement pour l'email?

*En anglais, je dirais "leaflet" pour cet avertissement, mais comment on dit ça en français?
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-04-24, 17:35

Só pra te ajudar com seu português caso você ainda não tiver aprendido, já que a maioria é parecido:

nefasto
nocivo
barra
barra ao contrário
hifen
arroba
parênteses
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-28, 17:06

Todo mundo que eu conheço chama de "contrabarra", mas pode falar "ao contrário" também.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-05, 22:19

dEhiN wrote:*En anglais, je dirais "leaflet" pour cet avertissement, mais comment on dit ça en français?

Un dépliant. C'est l'un de mes mots de vocabulaire ! :D

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-06-06, 23:55

I guess I should update this thing, huh?

Well, since mid-April, I've been working at a new job. It's full-time, so that's taken up most of my time with me mostly just relaxing with TV/Netflix outside of work. However, the job I'm at is an IT MSP, which means they do IT services for other companies. And some of our clients have employees (users in IT speak!) who are Quebecois. Which means I've gotten to utilise my French. I've gotten to practice my written French when emailing them through our ticketing system, and I've gotten to practice a little bit of my spoken French when on the phone with them. Most of them usually speak some level of English (that's probably better than my level of French!) so I'm kind of able to throw in whatever French I can but still switch back to English if I'm stuck. I guess that's both a good and a bad thing.

I also found out that one of our clients has users in Mexico, but I only got to practice a little written Spanish twice, and another client has users in Brazil, so I was able to respond to an email in Portuguese.

My partner was actually the one who helped me start using some of my spoken French when interacting with the French users. We even both both a copy of Practice Makes Perfect French Verbs, which I have yet to start.

I'm still trying to figure out though what to do about these 3 languages: should I plan out some intentional study (be it through texts or other things) to improve my levels? Or should I just not worry about it, and let any unintentional improvement that might happen as a result of this job occur?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-12, 2:40

If I were you, I don't think I'd worry about it and would just accept whatever I get from the job. (Okay, not really. I myself struggle with this when I'm working, but that is how it ends up!). It's really hard to do much with languages when you're working, too, at least in my experience!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-06-12, 12:17

It depends on how taxing and time-consuming the job is, but I would agree given what I understand of his current position.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-06-12, 16:26

księżycowy wrote:It depends on how taxing and time-consuming the job is, but I would agree given what I understand of his current position.

Księżycowy , where have you been? Haven't seen you here in months.
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-06-12, 20:15

Yeah, sorry. I've been other places. But I'm still around-ish. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-06-13, 19:57

Linguaphile wrote:
księżycowy wrote:It depends on how taxing and time-consuming the job is, but I would agree given what I understand of his current position.

He became a language forum snob and felt he was above us lowly Unilangers! :D

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-06-13, 20:02

vijayjohn wrote:If I were you, I don't think I'd worry about it and would just accept whatever I get from the job. (Okay, not really. I myself struggle with this when I'm working, but that is how it ends up!). It's really hard to do much with languages when you're working, too, at least in my experience!

Thanks guys, and yeah, you're right. While I'm first level help desk, so I basically am done when my shift is done, I have worked up to 1 hour extra a few days catching up on tickets. I also had to intentionally make the effort to take my breaks and lunch. (Yes, I've gone some days without taking either! Most days though, I will skip my breaks if I'm not careful). So it does make sense then that after work, I'm not in a mood to do any intentional language study.

For now, apart from user interaction at work, my partner and I do chat in French. That's fun and helps me maintain some of my speaking skills. I might see if I can find some Quebec French programming to watch on TV or Netflix or Prime; that way I can get a little more used to spoken Quebec French. I've had to tell any users I have interacted with to slow down, and even then I still sometimes haven't gotten it! Fortunately, I've usually picked up a couple of key words that helped me guess what they were saying. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-06-13, 23:46

dEhiN wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:

"Felt"? :silly:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-16, 22:03

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:

"Felt"? :silly:

Spoken like a true language forum snob!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-06-17, 22:51

3e3f013641123bc24797b845107b5b29.jpg

Indubitably, my good sir.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-21, 18:00

Why do you hate UniLang so much?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-06-23, 3:08

vijayjohn wrote:Why do you hate UniLang so much?

(fr) Il est un snob des langues!
(es) ¡Es un esnob de los idiomas!
(pt-br) É um esnobe dos idiomas!

Yes, I intentionally used the three Romance languages I know, since księżycowy seems to hate Romance languages. :twisted:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-06-23, 9:16

dEhiN wrote:(fr) Il est un snob des langues!
(es) ¡Es un esnob de los idiomas!
(pt-br) É um esnobe dos idiomas!

Yes, I intentionally used the three Romance languages I know, since księżycowy seems to hate Romance languages. :twisted:

This. This is why, Vijay.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”