dEhiN's Language Log

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Linguaphile
Re: dEhiN's Language Log

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-08-26, 3:14

dEhiN wrote:I also had the opportunity to do 2 user calls in essentially Spanglish. Fortunately they both spoke some English, but in the end, to facilitate communication, I used Notepad and we typed messages back and forth. For the little I did speak, I confess to resorting to "tú" forms because those came to me much quicker than the "usted" ones. I was telling my partner that I find it harder to recall the usted forms in Spanish than I do the vous forms in French.

I'm thinking now that I would like to do some intentional Spanish study, especially speaking, but also verb conjugations as that's what gets me a lot - any tense/aspect/mood that's not present indicative, I have to look up when writing, or, when speaking, find another way to say it or switch to English. At least with future indicative, I can resort to the near future phrasing of "go + infinitive". I'm not as concerned with French since it's not currently as pressing, and I can get by at least.

It sounds like you've got a good start though, and a good place to practice. I'm sure they appreciate your using Spanish and being able to switch to English when needed will keep things going when you might get stuck. A phone call (are they phone calls?) on work-related topics is among the more difficult contexts to use a new language, so the fact that you're able to do it is encouraging!

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote: I could also help with searching for things; I've noticed people sometimes have trouble finding what they want, and I'm relatively good at doing that.

I'm still waiting on a Swabian textbook in German.

Schwäbisch für Anfänger (Amazon)
Blick ins Buch
:noclue:

Image Image

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-08-28, 4:03

Linguaphile wrote:It sounds like you've got a good start though, and a good place to practice. I'm sure they appreciate your using Spanish and being able to switch to English when needed will keep things going when you might get stuck. A phone call (are they phone calls?) on work-related topics is among the more difficult contexts to use a new language, so the fact that you're able to do it is encouraging!

¡Gracias! Y sí, hay las llamadas de teléfono. Pero, I deal with los ambos - las solicitudes escritas y las llamadas habladas. Por las solicitudes, puedo buscar una palabra o quizás una frase completa. Pero no se posible con las llamadas. Especialmente con una conjugación. Utilizó mucho WordReference y las veces Google Traductor con las frases o saber cuales tiempo de verbo para utilizar.

En este caso, con el español, y también con el francés, porque conocía el tecnología bien, puedo conversar cuando sé la terminología en la idioma. Entonces, para mí, el tópico de trabajo no es difícil, ¡es todo lo demás!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-08-28, 4:45

Algunas correcciones y sugerencias:
dEhiN wrote:¡Gracias! Y sí, hay las son llamadas de teléfono. Pero, trabajo con los ambas [= las dos] - las solicitudes escritas y las llamadas habladas. Por Para las solicitudes, puedo buscar una palabra o quizás una frase completa. Pero no s e es posible con las llamadas. Especialmente con una conjugación [las conjugaciones]. Utilizó Utilizo / Utilicé mucho WordReference y las a veces Google Traductor con las frases para saber cuales tiempo de verbo tiempos verbales para utilizar.

En este caso, con el español y también con el francés, porque como conocía el tecnología bien, puedo conversar cuando sé la terminología en la idioma. Entonces, para mí, el tópico de trabajo no es difícil, ¡[es] todo lo demás contrario!

WordReference es un sitio muy útil y lo recomiendo. Pero ¡sí es verdad que no se puede usarlo muy bien durante telefónicas!
Se entiende muy bien lo que dices y estoy segura de que los clientes te lo agradecen.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-08-29, 18:00

Linguaphile wrote:
księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote: I could also help with searching for things; I've noticed people sometimes have trouble finding what they want, and I'm relatively good at doing that.

I'm still waiting on a Swabian textbook in German.

Schwäbisch für Anfänger (Amazon)
Blick ins Buch
:noclue:

Those aren't really textbooks, but that's better than I could have done, tbh.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-08-29, 18:52

Ok, I'll give. Find me something for Bavarian and/or Austrian dialects then. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-08-30, 16:58

See? Told you that wasn't the only thing you were looking for!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-11-08, 4:23

I've been thinking lately of focusing exclusively on the Romance family of languages with the one exception of Tamil.

For French, I've been watching more Quebecois TV as well as speaking with my partner in French. I was frustrated for a bit because I couldn't seem to make headway into understanding spoken Quebec French, but then something clicked and I am starting to grasp things. I continue to respond in French as much as I can at work, when writing responses to tickets created by French speaking employees of clients.

For Spanish, I've been using it here and there at work, but I don't get as many opportunities as French. I was called upon to help a client whose CEO had moved to Costa Rica and needed help contacting Lenovo Costa Rica for laptop issues. I didn't end up actually speaking any Spanish, but got to use my listening and reading skills.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-11-08, 13:13

dEhiN wrote:I've been thinking lately of focusing exclusively on the Romance family of languages with the one exception of Tamil.

That's hardly any fun, though. :(

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-08, 15:03

Have you been doing anything in particular for Tamil? I haven't really seen you mention it lately.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-11-08, 18:58

I'm honestly curious as well. I love to see you learning it actively again.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-11-09, 3:49

Not really... I think somewhat recently, I tried to write some stuff in Tamil in a text to my dad. Probably the only big step I've taken is to throw in the odd Tamil word here and there at home (i.e., living with my partner). I got used to doing that with my self-speech when I was single as well as at my parents or even with my siblings.* When I got together with my partner, I wasn't sure if I could still insert the odd Tamil word, but nowadays I do, and I've even taught some to my partner.

*By odd word, I mean things like saying "pasikkathu" if I'm hungry, or "kalecchipoonen" when I'm tired. My siblings knew less Tamil than me, but they knew these words.
Last edited by dEhiN on 2021-11-09, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-11-09, 9:26

I'm trying to figure out that run-on sentence after the first *. :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-09, 15:46

He's just giving examples of the "odd Tamil word here and there" he throws in at home.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-11-09, 17:04

I think I get that. But like....
I was sure if I could still insert the odd Tamil word, but nowadays and I do

Huh?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-09, 17:09

He accidentally added an "and."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2021-11-09, 17:29

"wasn't sure"?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-11-09, 18:42

dEhiN wrote:I wasn't sure if I could still insert the odd Tamil word, but nowadays I do

There, I fixed it. The "was" instead of "wasn't" I can get, but how the heck did I add an "and" after "nowadays"?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-09, 20:37

księżycowy wrote:"wasn't sure"?

Yes. :P
dEhiN wrote:There, I fixed it. The "was" instead of "wasn't" I can get, but how the heck did I add an "and" after "nowadays"?

I think it makes sense because you wrote "and" again shortly after that, so you just anticipated it and added it once more beforehand. It's normal.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-01-09, 21:00

I'm closing this thread off, probably for good. I finally bit the bullet and joined LLORG, mostly because of their Daily 365 Challenge. A combination of having opportunities to use French and Spanish at work, along with being able to use French with my girlfriend, has reignited my desire to actively try and push my languages to the next level. However, I chose to join LLORG's 365 Challenge because I think it will help me carry out my desire. The idea is try and study for 30 minutes every day for a whole year, and you get a point for each day you do 30 minutes of study. I chose the general option, which means that the 30 minutes can be spent on any language I choose. I'm focusing on French, Tamil and Spanish. For anyone who's interested, you can check it out here.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-01-10, 13:14

"502 Bad Gateway"
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”