2020 - voron's blog

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

voron
Language Forum Moderator
2020 - voron's blog

Postby voron » 2020-01-04, 12:53

Happy New Year to everyone!

This year I want to mostly devote my language time to MSA Arabic. If anyone wonders what happened to my other languages:
1) Turkish -- I'm more or less happy with my level and since I live in Turkey, I improve it naturally by talking to people, reading books and watching TV, so I don't need to plan anything special for it. For a while I entertained the idea of using Anki to broaden my vocabulary, but it has never worked well, so I'll just let it go with the flow.

2) Kurdish -- since I moved from Istanbul to Antalya, I can't attend a course and there are much fewer people I can talk to. Moreover, talking to strangers in Kurdish has become plain dangerous (people can start panicking and call the police), so I decided to put this language on hold.

3) Colloquial Arabic -- again, since my move to Antalya, I don't have anyone IRL to talk to in this language, so I'm putting it on hold as well.

For MSA, I'll just continue with my readers (I have bought a plenty!), and maybe try to watch films in it. I know all the grammar and my main weakness is vocabulary.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: 2020 - voron's blog

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-07, 6:37

Happy New Year!

Wait, there are movies in MSA? :o

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: 2020 - voron's blog

Postby voron » 2020-01-12, 10:20

vijayjohn wrote:Wait, there are movies in MSA? :o

Sure, there are plenty. Religious and historical films are often in MSA; and foreign films are almost always dubbed into MSA.

One example:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6chi6i

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”