Synalepha's linguistic stream of consciousness

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Synalepha
Re: Synalepha's linguistic stream of consciousness

Postby Synalepha » 2020-01-19, 15:53

Ashucky wrote:
Synalepha wrote:[Podčetrtek. How's the local dialect?

Wow, that's far away :D

Yeah, thanks for reminding me :'( (jk :P)

Meanwhile, here's a song about Podčetrtek, enjoy :lol:

Are they mocking the place or what? xD

It's by Peter Herrity, right?

Yes, it is.

Keep in mind, though, that whenever the books says something about the "modern spoken" language, it refers to the Ljubljana dialect, which, contrary to what people from Ljubljana believe, is definitely not considered the most prestigious or the standard dialect by the rest of the country, so don't (always) follow those pieces of advice.

I will, thanks!

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-01-19, 16:13

I want to try and spend a "no English" week because I need to break out of the anglophone bubble I've built over the last decade. This means I won't consume content in English (this forum and grammar/linguistics books are probably going to be the only exceptions but even here I hope to write at least bilingually).

I have a bunch of books in Ladin that I've been meaning to read for a while and a Portuguese short story collection too. Ideally, I'll also listen to a lot of Slovenian to get as much input as possible and get used to the language and maybe read bits of Wikipedia articles too. I've already found a bunch of podcasts in Slovene.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2020-01-19, 20:27

Synalepha wrote:
Meanwhile, here's a song about Podčetrtek, enjoy :lol:

Are they mocking the place or what? xD

No no, quite the opposite, really. They're singing about how great Podčetrtek is. Do you need the lyrics/translation? :D Also, if you want to hear a lot of Slovene music, I can recommend Radio Veseljak (if you haven't found it yet), although it's centred in Gorenjska (Upper Carniola), not Štajerska (Styria). I quite like the station, tbh. When you feel like listening to more serious topics (interviews, etc.), you can listen to Val 202; and there's also Radio Ognjišče, which is actually a Catholic station but they do have good segments in Slovene. Sorry, I know you didn't ask for this but I thought I'd share anyways, in case you haven't found those yet. :)

Synalepha wrote:I want to try and spend a "no English" week because I need to break out of the anglophone bubble I've built over the last decade. This means I won't consume content in English (this forum and grammar/linguistics books are probably going to be the only exceptions but even here I hope to write at least bilingually).

E vabbè, allora da qui in avanti parlerò solo in italiano :D
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-01-19, 21:09

Synalepha wrote:E vabbè, allora da qui in avanti parlerò solo in italiano :D

L'hai detto te eh xD

No no, quite the opposite, really. They're singing about how great Podčetrtek is. Do you need the lyrics/translation? :D

Beh, se non ti scoccia, una traduzione non mi dispiacerebbe averla. :P

Also, if you want to hear a lot of Slovene music, I can recommend Radio Veseljak (if you haven't found it yet), although it's centred in Gorenjska (Upper Carniola), not Štajerska (Styria). I quite like the station, tbh. When you feel like listening to more serious topics (interviews, etc.), you can listen to Val 202; and there's also Radio Ognjišče, which is actually a Catholic station but they do have good segments in Slovene. Sorry, I know you didn't ask for this but I thought I'd share anyways, in case you haven't found those yet. :)

Grazie per i consigli, su google podcast ho trovato molti podcast che sembrano interessanti (tra cui Val 202). In realtà non è molto importante quali siano gli argomenti trattati dal momento che ascolto solo per abituarmi alla pronuncia ma non è che ci capisca qualcosa ancora. xD Darò un'occhiata anche a Radio Veseljak e Radio Ognjišče. ;)

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-01-20, 15:50

I'd really need some good exercise to really have Slovenian declensions cemented in my mind. :|

► Show Spoiler

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2020-01-20, 22:35

Synalepha wrote:
No no, quite the opposite, really. They're singing about how great Podčetrtek is. Do you need the lyrics/translation? :D

Beh, se non ti scoccia, una traduzione non mi dispiacerebbe averla. :P

Ecco la traduzione, ma è in inglese perché ci sarebbe voluta una vita a tradurla in italiano :D

► Show Spoiler

Forse addesso la puoi tradurre anche in ladino? :P
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-01-30, 8:41

Ashucky wrote:Forse addesso la puoi tradurre anche in ladino? :P

Se ti interessa vedere la traduzione in ladino, volentieri, altrimenti mi risparmio lo sforzo. :P

---

The no-English week was kind of a failure. I got back to watching stuff in English after three days. Moreover I haven't done much language-wise in the last week, in fact I have done pretty much nothing except for reading a morphology book and a typology book.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-28, 21:04

Soooo...

Now that the sole reason I had for learning Slovenian is gone (</3), I thought I might focus on Portuguese and Hebrew (I also lost interest in Indonesian and abandoned Ladin for the time being because meh), problem is, I noticed that when one of the two languages is significantly closer to my native one, I tend to use most of my time for that language because it's more quickly rewarding. So I've now made the decision of only focusing on Hebrew.

There have been some major shifts in my goals, but as I said at the beginning of this thread, I have accepted the fact that I'm not a super-consistent learner and that's ok because language learning is just a hobby for me.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-02-28, 21:44

I am also currently learning Hebrew. In my case I find it rewarding because of its similarity to Arabic. I take classes with a tutor once every two weeks, and I can have a little conversation with him. I still don’t have much vocabulary and my listening comprehension of videos is very limited. But I find that the lessons “force” me to go on and try to learn new vocabulary for using it in the conversations with the teacher :yep:

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-29, 11:43

Antea wrote:I am also currently learning Hebrew. In my case I find it rewarding because of its similarity to Arabic. I take classes with a tutor once every two weeks, and I can have a little conversation with him. I still don’t have much vocabulary and my listening comprehension of videos is very limited. But I find that the lessons “force” me to go on and try to learn new vocabulary for using it in the conversations with the teacher :yep:

Do you use iTalki?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-02-29, 11:44

Synalepha wrote:Do you use iTalki?

Yes

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-03-06, 20:15

Synalepha wrote:Soooo...

Now that the sole reason I had for learning Slovenian is gone (</3), I thought I might focus on Portuguese and Hebrew (I also lost interest in Indonesian and abandoned Ladin for the time being because meh), problem is, I noticed that when one of the two languages is significantly closer to my native one, I tend to use most of my time for that language because it's more quickly rewarding. So I've now made the decision of only focusing on Hebrew.

There have been some major shifts in my goals, but as I said at the beginning of this thread, I have accepted the fact that I'm not a super-consistent learner and that's ok because language learning is just a hobby for me.

Nevermind, I'm no longer sure what to do. :lol: I think from now on I should just write what I did rather than what I will (supposedly) do. :lol:

Synalepha

Good Bye

Postby Synalepha » 2020-03-10, 20:38

I need to take another break from forums and social media for my mental health as they're a hindrance to my recovery from my anxiety disorder. So I'm deleting this account too but this time I'm actually saying good bye.

If you want to keep in touch with me, you can follow me on instagram which is the only social media I'm keeping. I'll be glad to follow you back:

canis_quercus

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”