Saim's log 2019-2020

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators: ''', Forum Administrators

Saim

Re: Saim's log 2019-2020

Postby Saim » 2020-04-28, 5:49

vijayjohn wrote:I didn't know the vocab word in that last example myself. :lol:

Are you still confused about the difference between the second and third tones, btw? Second is rising; third is "falling-rising" in theory, but in practice, usually just low flat. Third tone changes to second tone before another third tone (except across certain boundaries, particularly word boundaries, at least for some speakers).

I'm not really confused as to the theory, I just can't reliably recognise them in actual speech. I'm getting better and better though, Forvo and Netflix + Anki have helped a lot. :) In fact in my experience labels like "rising", "falling", "high" and "low" aren't really intuitively understandable at all and to actually pick it up I just have to short listening drills where I already know what the tones "should" be.
Last edited by Saim on 2020-04-29, 7:10, edited 1 time in total.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-04-29, 7:06

Turkish

I've started watching the show Love 101. It's awful and dumb (the characters are just mean-spirited and erratic and the show wants us to think they're "misfits", the only way they thought of to make us like the characters), but I'd like to spend more time watching Turkish TV. Once I've gone through a couple of Turkish series I might cycle back to Hebrew and Arabic.

Mandarin

Watching Chinese TV is going good. I'm going to try and prioritise watching more over adding lots of cards, although I'll still add lots of cards from learning materials and do at least 5 audio cards per episode.

It's kind of annoying having to look at my tablet to know where the words I want to look up are though, I wish Chinese was easier to write by hand. Oh well, I guess I can't be too picky. Maybe I should upload the images to my drive so that I find it less of a hassle to use them on my computer or something.

I've also started genuinely liking 奈何BOSS要娶我. It's a fun show, I'm glad I stuck with it. Especially now that they're actually dealing with the fact that the male love interest is straight-up abusive, although given that I'm only halfway through the season I wouldn't be surprised if they just went back to normal in a couple of episodes and handwave away his awful behaviour.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-05-14, 15:50

Saim wrote:Besides this, I’m considering buying a cheap mp3 player for listening practice. My phone is too distracting and iTunes is really awful. It’ll be easier if I have an mp3 player with lots of recordings ready to go that I can just pick up and immediately use. That’ll be especially helpful for languages my listening comprehension isn’t so good in (and languages with tone or pitch accent), and I’ll also find it easier to listen to textbook dialogues.

The mp3 player arrived a weak or so ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm pretty much entirely using it for Serbian though, which is probably for the best to be honest. I've just been following a couple of Serbian news channels on YouTube -- N1, Mondo.rs, RTS, RTV, Nova S, B92, DW Fokus and Al Jazeera Balkans -- and downloading the most interesting clips. I also delete older audio whenever I add new ones.

I've noticed it's had a very quick, direct effect on my spoken fluency and comfort when speaking Serbian, and it has even my reading speed and level of enjoyment during reading.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-05-17, 5:02

Out of curiosity, do you find it really hard to find TV series you actually like for the languages you're studying? I keep seeing you post something along the lines of "this series is shit, but I'm watching it anyway to get more familiar with listening to the language."

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-05-17, 6:32

vijayjohn wrote:Out of curiosity, do you find it really hard to find TV series you actually like for the languages you're studying? I keep seeing you post something along the lines of "this series is shit, but I'm watching it anyway to get more familiar with listening to the language."

Yes. Most TV is very bad, I’m taking a bit of a break from it now, especially since the news is starting to get a bit less boring than it was durig the peak of the pandemic. I think the only shows I watched this year that I really liked were “O sabor das margaridas” and “Vratiće se rode”. I also started watching “Senke nad Balkanom” and although it was well-shot and the drama was gripping I found the characters very irritating.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-05-20, 1:21

Saim wrote: “O sabor das margaridas” .

I liked that one too. I wish there were CC subtitles in Galician.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-05-23, 12:51

Saim Bhai, have you by any chance considered watching older TV shows that you're more interested in, or cherry-picking which ones you watch instead of watching a whole bunch that are horrible and just leave you feeling drained or something?

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-05-23, 17:38

The problem is that my main criterion is ease of access (so whether it's on YouTube or Netflix so I can immediately access it rather than having to pirate it somewhere) + availability of native-language subtitles (so pretty much whatever is on Netflix). I don't really care that much about watching TV so it's always going to be something I do mainly for language exposure.

I have downloaded a bunch of Dutch series though that I saw recommended and I might go through those, but I'm probably not going to do that for that many languages. And I doubt I'll go through more than one season of each of those shows.

In any case I find radio programs and YouTube videos a much better source of audio input than TV shows, at least for those languages that I can already understand quite well. :)

Osias wrote:
Saim wrote: “O sabor das margaridas” .

I liked that one too. I wish there were CC subtitles in Galician.

Yeah it's a shame, although I guess the Spanish subtitles are close enough...

Saim

Postby Saim » 2020-05-24, 18:19

"Language Learning with Netflix" now gives furigana-style pinyin over the characters in Chinese subtitles. :D That certainly makes my life easier!

Return to “Total Annihilation Challenge”