Tac 2019 - Ainu

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Trapy
Re: Tac 2019 - Ainu

Postby Trapy » 2019-01-27, 18:45

vijayjohn wrote:By the way, the first few audioclips from the podcast are missing, but I'm going to venture a guess that they might be available through the Wayback Machine/Internet Archive/archive.org.

I will try to scavenge those!

I also found this Facebook page. It’s got an organization that is trying to promote Ainu culture, but I can see they use some Ainu- mainly irankarapte. The Facebook link to search for is pirkakanpi

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/pirkakanpi/
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2019-01-29, 5:07

Irankarapte!

“Thankyou” Amerika-itak ku=itak rusuy yakun “Iyairaykere” Ainu-itak ku=itak.

Tanto ruyanpe henne as. Tanto upas ek nankor. Nisatta henne pirka ne. Nisatta mean ne.

Suy unukaran no!

Hello!

Thankyou American speak I say want to if so, then “iyairaykere” Ainu speak I speak.

Today rain doesn’t fall. Today snow comes supposedly. Tomorrow not good is. Tomorrow cold is.

Let us meet again!

Wanted to combine learning both “Thankyou” and “if...then”. I was excited to learn it as I love the French nuances like si + imparfait = conditional and si + present = future etc. So I was thrown for a loop at how yakun is basically put between two clauses instead of a setup like if... then... . So, I think “if so, then...” is close as if it was not two separate sentences.

Then wanted to remember rasuy and nankor as I don’t want to lose them (still not “down” with them yet. I remember they exist but not what they are. The first being desire, the second being probability).

sine, tu, tre, ihne, asikne, iwan 一 二 三 四 五 六

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2019-01-30, 2:59

Irankarapte!

Tanto pirka ne. Ruyanpe henne as. Tane mean ne kane an.

Suy unukaran ro!

Hello!
Today good was. Rain didn’t fall. Now cold Is continuously.

Let us meet again!

-Kane an means “continues to be”. So, ku=pake arka kane an. would mean “my head continues to be hurting” or “my head is hurting” or “my head still hurts”. However if you say Eiga e=nukar kane an it means “you are watching a film” instead of just “you watch a film”. So this continuous motion- I forget the name of it, transitive verb? But need to find a good use for it. Since there is debate on if Ainu is in past tense or present tense without time modifiers, this might be a way to distinguish it.

Edit- also, there are a few small errors in the unilang lessons. Mostly it is copy-pasta where the lesson focuses on different words, like “there is” and “there are”, but then the lesson uses the Ainu words for one in both examples with different English translations. At first I thought I was just missing something, but now fairly sure it’s minor typos. I would email the link to correct but I don’t think anyone monitors that box anymore.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2019-01-30, 15:53

:) <- Tapanpe pirka ne.

Toonpe henne pirka ne
-> :(

:) <- This is good
That is not good -> :(

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: <- tapanpe re ainu okay ne. Re Ainu sinot.

Toonpe tu Iruska ainu okay ne -> :evil: :evil:
Tu ainu henne sinot.

:silly: ku=sinot.

This is three people. Three people play.
That is two angry people. Two people do not play.
I play.

Okay is the plural of an, as in “is” so ne combines two things (x y is) but an / okay declares one or more things. Some verbs have plural forms, but some like sinot do not.

Wanted to combine declarative and plural verbs. Unsure if I have it right with declaring multiples if I still need ne. Will I vestigate before moving on.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2019-02-03, 3:57

irankarapte!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KGYEyn_TSCs

Found this band which plays mostly in ainu, and mostly rehashing Ainu yukar sagas in a modern twist. I am henne a fan of the reggae but... I do understand some of the words I think. Can not find lyrics but in Osoro Omap I swear I hear hekaci (boy) frequently.

Looking for the lyrics to just about any of his music but unfortunately I only can read romanji so... that’s likely a dead end.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2019-02-04, 3:21

Irankarapte!

Tanto “music” ku=nu wa ku=sinot. Tanto pirka ne. Tane, ku=sinki. Nisatta, ku=sinot wa ku=mina. Nisatta henne wen ne nankor.

Soy unukaran no!

Hello!

Today “music” I listen and I play. Today good is. Now, I am tired. Tomorrow, I play and I laugh. Tomorrow not bad is probably.

See you later!

Wanted to add some vocab I picked up over weekend and the particle wa for “and”. Can’t find the verb to “work” so will have to be play. Ku=Mina was a phrase I still remember from when I was learning it years ago.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”